Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, May-02-23, 17:22
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/226/215 Male 6-2
BF:
Progress: 79%

Well I have stopped low carb and are doing more low calorie eating a lot of fruit very little fat good protein and it seems to be working. My normal day

From 10am to 2pm
Banana
5 Hard boiled egg whites
1 can of Tuna with hot sauce
6 oz or Turkey breast
Granny Smith apple or 200 grams of watermelon or cantaloupe

Dinner
Chicken breast or talapia with broccoli or green beans dropped 11 lbs since Easter

That’s it for the most part once in a while chicken thigh or a couple of brats to change it up
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, May-03-23, 02:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That's great news! Looks good to me, and you are still eating "low carb" compared to the standard US diet. Whole fruits are OK, unless the sweetness and maybe a blood glucose rise from them, drive to you eat refined carbs next.

One concern may be..are you satiated with the types and amounts these foods? If you are hungry after lowering the calories, that isn’t a long term solution to weight maintenance.

Here's a new article posted yesterday on this very topic. It has lists of satiating foods you might add for a more varied menu:

Crush Your Hunger for Longer: The Biggest Satiety Hacks (and How to Stack Them)

https://optimisingnutrition.com/cru...hem/#more-40382

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-03-23 at 03:17.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, May-03-23, 03:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

ETA: Jey beat me to the punch. ^^^

I'm glad you're finding success.

Not to be too pedantic, but IMO, you haven't "stopped low carb." Even if you had a banana, an apple AND 200 g watermelon, that's only 63 g carb on the day plus whatever traces are in your turkey, sauce, etc. A lot of us eat that way, just different higher-carb produce choices. I eat a fair bit of potatoes and sweet potatoes, usually at dinner. I often have heavy tomato/pepper/onion meals like chili or soups.

Please tell me, though, that you're not discarding those egg yolks!! That's where all the nutrition is. Egg whites are an empty protein. Most PE folks just use them from a carton for recipes or bumping up the protein in egg dishes. Eat at least a couple of them, and/or feed the yolks to your kids and pets, if you have them. 😝
  #49   ^
Old Wed, May-03-23, 07:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
ETA: Jey beat me to the punch. ^^^

I'm glad you're finding success.

Not to be too pedantic, but IMO, you haven't "stopped low carb." Even if you had a banana, an apple AND 200 g watermelon, that's only 63 g carb on the day plus whatever traces are in your turkey, sauce, etc. A lot of us eat that way, just different higher-carb produce choices. I eat a fair bit of potatoes and sweet potatoes, usually at dinner. I often have heavy tomato/pepper/onion meals like chili or soups.

Please tell me, though, that you're not discarding those egg yolks!! That's where all the nutrition is. Egg whites are an empty protein. Most PE folks just use them from a carton for recipes or bumping up the protein in egg dishes. Eat at least a couple of them, and/or feed the yolks to your kids and pets, if you have them. 😝

for now not eating the yolks to cut the fat and those calories, i know a lot of the protein is in the yolk but so are the bulk of the calories, trying to eliminate fat as well. 5 egg whites are 100 calories compared to 5 whole eggs that are 350 calories, for that 250 calories rather have chicken breast than egg yolk so that is my thought process to not eat the yolk. My dogs get the yolks....lol

And yes that is low carb but what I mean by my statement is I'm not counting carbs no longer just tracking calories for now, and only taking in good carbs IE fruit and green vegetables.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, May-03-23, 10:22
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
That's great news! Looks good to me, and you are still eating "low carb" compared to the standard US diet. Whole fruits are OK, unless the sweetness and maybe a blood glucose rise from them, drive to you eat refined carbs next.

One concern may be..are you satiated with the types and amounts these foods? If you are hungry after lowering the calories, that isn’t a long term solution to weight maintenance.

Here's a new article posted yesterday on this very topic. It has lists of satiating foods you might add for a more varied menu:

Crush Your Hunger for Longer: The Biggest Satiety Hacks (and How to Stack Them)

https://optimisingnutrition.com/cru...hem/#more-40382

Yes and no, I really enjoy eating fruit so that helps a lot because I know within reason is all pretty low in calories so while I don't go crazy with it, I know I can have a good amount and not kill my calories. I eat a lot of melon (watermelon and cantaloupe) due to its high content of water, watermelon for me is very satisfying so it helps the sweet tooth. When i was doing low carb, I wasn't doing any fruit, but now since I'm not really counting carbs but calories I eat fruit because I knw the calorie intake is low.

The other thing I realized that was killing me before was salad, I'm not a fan of lettuce but with enough salad dressing i like it, the problem is I had to use so much and it was about 500 calories in just the dressing alone and that added to what else I was eating through out the day I think is what was stopping me from losing weight, mayo was the other culprit, I figured out between mayo and salad dressing I was taking in almost 1000 calories just in those two condiments alone, that doesn't include any other food, so i think a lot of my issue was caloric intake, and even more so bad caloric intake. While mayo and dressing was virtually no carbs, it was a ton of empty calories.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, May-04-23, 22:44

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Not that what you eat is bad, but it's not strictly low carb. The banana and other fruits can slow down weight loss. What you eat would stall out weight loss for me. When I want to accelerate weight loss I simply DO NOT eat fruit of any kind. You want to make your body dig into your fat stores, but fruit contains sugar (especially bananas and watermelon) and that puts the brakes on weight loss.

There's a guy who made a bunch of great little videos...his name is Butter Bob, and as he says, "Make your body dine on its own fat." Here's his video, just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoaWbgOeyRU

Last edited by CMCM : Thu, May-04-23 at 22:52.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, May-05-23, 04:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ah, the magic of tracking your food for one week! Measuring salad dressing ( is that really 1 Measuring Tablespoon of fat? ) and reading the label… 100 calories in that tiny amount?

I was admin for a LC group that did limit the fats but members often stopped losing when they stopped measuring and started eye-balling the 2T heavy cream in coffee, or the 2T Mayo limit in egg salad became 1/3 of a cup. We didn't count calories, but calories count.

There is nothing wrong with bacon and cheese, but more than modest amounts of fat would stop weight loss.
On a Satiety per Calorie basis https://www.dietdoctor.com/satiety/science fat scores very low, Mayo and butter are only a 6 Satiety Score .
Fruits are more Satiating than fats, many of the berries over 50 because of the high fiber and nutrients. Even melon and bananas aren’t bad, but I usually eat them with a bowl of non-fat yogurt to add protein and blunt the sweetness. Adding back fruit and dairy really improved the "nutrient density" of my meals, and I now have bone density scans that show it.

CMCM, Very low carb works great for some, you are lucky. It stopped working for me, and Kp tried strict low carb since January, and it wasn’t working for him. Some tweaks to increase healthy carbohydrates with more fiber and nutrients, while also lowering fat seems to help. Many of us have found success using Dr Ted Naiman's The P:E Diet version of low carb, and Optimising Nutrition. More about that in the SemiLowCarb forum and my journal if interested.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-05-23 at 16:23.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, May-08-23, 12:50

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Ah, the magic of tracking your food for one week! Measuring salad dressing ( is that really 1 Measuring Tablespoon of fat? ) and reading the label… 100 calories in that tiny amount?

I was admin for a LC group that did limit the fats but members often stopped losing when they stopped measuring and started eye-balling the 2T heavy cream in coffee, or the 2T Mayo limit in egg salad became 1/3 of a cup. We didn't count calories, but calories count.

There is nothing wrong with bacon and cheese, but more than modest amounts of fat would stop weight loss.
On a Satiety per Calorie basis https://www.dietdoctor.com/satiety/science fat scores very low, Mayo and butter are only a 6 Satiety Score .
Fruits are more Satiating than fats, many of the berries over 50 because of the high fiber and nutrients. Even melon and bananas aren’t bad, but I usually eat them with a bowl of non-fat yogurt to add protein and blunt the sweetness. Adding back fruit and dairy really improved the "nutrient density" of my meals, and I now have bone density scans that show it.

CMCM, Very low carb works great for some, you are lucky. It stopped working for me, and Kp tried strict low carb since January, and it wasn’t working for him. Some tweaks to increase healthy carbohydrates with more fiber and nutrients, while also lowering fat seems to help. Many of us have found success using Dr Ted Naiman's The P:E Diet version of low carb, and Optimising Nutrition. More about that in the SemiLowCarb forum and my journal if interested.

Jey....I think very low carb works for a time for me, but I do have to moderate upwards at various points. When I'm not actively trying to lose weight, I make a lot of the Diet Doctor recipes and for the most part, I can maintain fairly well on those although I think I eventually end up with weight creep at some point. I have a lot of trouble with diets that try to incorporate reasonable grains or too many carbs, for example. Due to celiac disease, I of course can't eat wheat/rye/barley. Corn upsets me horribly. In the end, I mostly avoid every single grain out there. I love veggies, though, and certain fruits. I seem to be sensitive to a lot of things (wish it weren't so...), and in the end, I just eat a very careful diet. I do feel best on fairly low carb, though.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, May-09-23, 10:04
Registered Member

BF:

Low carb worked for me for a while, then hit a wall I couldn't break through, I also think my calories were too much, so for now, good carbs good protein and watching calories has worked....14lbs in a month....(that includes 3 really bad cheat days in that month).