Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-23, 13:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Protein – Which is Best? in journal of sports nutrition

I'd recently dropped whey protein isolate, because I suspected something in my shake mix was giving me trouble. It turned out to be everything except the whey protein powder.

PDF link:
https://www.jssm.org/vol3/n3/2/v3n3-2pdf.pdf

It's an interesting article, like this information:

Quote:
Whey Protein Isolate (WPI)
Isolates are the purest protein source available.

Whey protein isolates contain protein concentrations of 90% or higher. During the processing of whey protein isolate there is a significant removal of fat and lactose. As a result, individuals who are lactose intolerant can often safely take these products

(Geiser, 2003). Although the concentration of protein in this form of whey protein is the highest, it often contain proteins that have become denatured due to the manufacturing process. The denaturation of proteins involves breaking down their structure and losing peptide bonds.

I regard whey protein powder as the same as non-fat dry milk, which I drank plenty of as a child, with no lack of nutrition that I'm aware of. But now I'm alert to processed food and their different levels.

I still try to pick the least processed, but I'm supposed to start my day with lots of protein, and my custom whey smoothie is easier to digest. I love steak and eggs, but I can no longer eat the whole plate until my energy is back up again.

More protein, the better I feel.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-23, 17:33

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I read the article which seemed to show that the best proteins came from animal sources, but I wondered if they get some funding from the Soy industry and plant-based activists that made them come to the Conclusion - "However, the potential health concerns associated with a diet of protein consumed primarily from animal sources should be acknowledged. With a proper combination of sources, vegetable proteins may provide similar benefits as protein from animal sources." ???
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-23, 04:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That's an oldie from 2004, height of anti-Atkins. Bet they were unhappy when the results weren’t what they wanted. Ted Naiman has talked about other studies in his interviews. There are vegan bodybuilders but young and have to carefully supplement. Animal protein is complete, bioavailable, etc.

Marty Kendall blog post: Plant Protein vs Animal Protein. Are All Proteins Created Equal?
https://optimisingnutrition.com/pla...ein/#more-20446

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-14-23 at 04:44.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-23, 07:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Just found on DietDoctor while looking for something else, long answer about Whey Protein, including some nutritional info for five types of whey.

But before the list:
We recommend eating high-protein dairy foods rather than whey protein most of the time.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-pro...ry#whey-protein
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-23, 16:09

BF:

I'm staying away from all five types he lists there: those are highly processed.

I loved this from the comparison of plant vs animal protein:

Quote:
Unless you are eating a LOT of vegan protein powders, a “plant-based” diet sourced from industrial agriculture is a good way to ensure you are always hungry and will consume a lot more energy to get the nutrients you need, including protein.

Which is also about the processing. I seem to remember previous advice from Diet Doctor about having to eat 30% more of plant-based protein sources to make up for the bioavailability.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-23, 16:15

BF:

It's sometimes very difficult to find out what should be very basic things. Like I stumbled on this article and wanted to share because there's so many different kinds of protein I wasn't aware of.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-23, 16:55

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It seems like it would be cheaper to just eat junkfood instead of "Weight-gainer protein powder"
Protein percentage: 17%
13 grams of protein and 63 grams of carbs per serving (2.7 ounces/80 grams)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-23, 06:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
It seems like it would be cheaper to just eat junkfood instead of "Weight-gainer protein powder"
Protein percentage: 17%
13 grams of protein and 63 grams of carbs per serving (2.7 ounces/80 grams)

Horrible. But convenient.

Which is a great way to repeat JEY's point about eating real food. It doesn't have nutritional facts on the label, it needs some processing at home, and it needs minimal cooking skills. Grocery stores kept trying to get me to watch TV while I stood on line, but we all said, "I want to stare at the scandal sheets at my own pace, thank you. This is the news I'm interested in while standing next to candy as someone writes a check at the last minute."

But what I think people could watch are prep and cooking videos in produce, meat, and dairy aisles. Everything else has instructions on the box.

Sure, they could look it up at home. But they aren't going to purchase this weirdly shaped and colored THING first. And they aren't going to be produce-curious in our commercial world.

I've been doing diminishing cycles of what I can and can't eat. This holiday season made it clear that I will get maximum benefits from whole foods only. At this point, the whey powder is my only processed food, and I know it doesn't trigger me. An easily digestible source of protein when my appetite is low is golden for someone too sick -- which means too clumsy -- to do much cooking during lows. But I can electric kettle safely at such times. My only other palatable alternative is salmon, which I love, but not every meal. But I can easily alternate between the two until I get better.

I didn't think there was MUCH processed content in some of my other choices, but my body could tell. And the more I eat nothing but food that doesn't fight with me, the easier maintaining my remissions becomes.

But it's like we've always said, right here. There is no way to "cheat."