Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 16:13

Plan: Low carb / high Protein
Stats: 290/238/215 Male 6ft 2inc
BF:18.92
Progress: 69%
Question is it ok to drink Rye when on a meat/egg fast

I am going out tonight and my friends are going to have a few drinks I was going to start my fast for a few days and have started today. But do you think that a few glasses of Gibsons Rye would reck the fast ?????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 16:16
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

I started the meat & egg fast (second attempt) again today as well.. so good luck to you.

What in the heck is Gibsons rye?

My rule of thumb is...if its not meat, or eggs, or water..I'm not touching it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 16:17

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Drinking alcohol would virtually guarantee derailment.

Have some club soda instead.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 16:23
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the M&E fast (which I don't think is healthy in the first place, but to each their own...) is an extreme form of induction done by people who are already frustrated by slow/no loss.... wouldn't drinking slow down any loss even MORE?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 16:36

Ya I guess you are right it wouls slow it down more. Just wondering it is ok to have a few drinks right. I do not think that that hard alchol has any carbs does it ??
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 19:48
Me and My DH

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/235/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 41%

Atmasters, it is/has been my understanding that the body processes alcohol like sugar, which would not be good in the LC woe. Might want to consider something else to avoid throwing yourself off track.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 19:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmasters
Ya I guess you are right it wouls slow it down more. Just wondering it is ok to have a few drinks right. I do not think that that hard alchol has any carbs does it ??

Hard liquor doesn't have any carbs, but your body will burn alcohol for fuel in preference to all other fuel sources, including fat, so you will basically be sabotaging your efforts. After all, the purpose of following such a fast (even though I do happen to agree with Potatofree here) is to get your body to burn fat...right? So why give it a fuel source that it likes even better than fat?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 20:55
Just keep trying...

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 316/305/215 Male 6'3"
BF:Way/33%/hi
Progress: 11%

On the other hand, you are very close to your goal and a drink or two in a month would not be so bad. Just don't forget what Lisa said..... the body quickly converts alcohol to a sugar that ensures hi calories and may even make you hungry when your insulin spikes...... go easy, and have a drink.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 21:49

Thanks I did take your advice and I did not have any drinks just water. It was not that hard to say no. I actually got to talk to some of my freinds about this way of life. And they seemed very interested in it. They are on a low calorie diet.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-15-05, 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Hard liquor doesn't have any carbs, but your body will burn alcohol for fuel in preference to all other fuel sources, including fat, so you will basically be sabotaging your efforts. After all, the purpose of following such a fast (even though I do happen to agree with Potatofree here) is to get your body to burn fat...right? So why give it a fuel source that it likes even better than fat?

Thanks for the info Lisa N I new that it did stall the weight loss. But in turn will it make you gain. I would and have only drank the hard stuff ( I stay away from beer) and do not mix it with any thing. It realy helps to keep the consumtion down But if I do go on a bender will it stall me for a long time or just intill it gets out of my system
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 05:43

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Atmasters, alcohol can make you gain temporarily (dehydration followed by water retention) but it's more likely to make you stall for a few days. Hard liquor is not converted to sugar, it's broken down very similarly to fat (into ketone bodies) and used as fuel in that form which is why alcohol tends to hit you harder and faster when you are low carbing...your body is already in ketone burning mode, so it doesn't need to take the time to switch from glucose burning to ketone burning. I doubt that I can find the link back, but I recall reading an article that showed that fat burning can be put on hold for 2-3 days following alcohol consumption, not just while it's in your system, which is only a few hours, depending on how much you drink.
It made me chuckle a little when you mentioned your friends who were drinking are on a low calorie diet. Alcohol is high in calories...all of them empty.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 12:32

Ya that's right my one freind was drinking Beer that is very high in calories. I did not even think of that. well I tell you one thing I have done a lot better on this way of life then they have. We started at the same time and I have tripled them in weight loss and they still have to sit down and eat a box of cookies once in awile. That is when I was telling them about the LC way of life that I can sit there and watch them eat all these things and not even have a craving for a tast.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF/Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 308/250/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I had 3 drinks last night which consisted of 1 oz of white rum and topped up with diet orange crush (made with splenda) and still lost over a pound as of this morning. Sometimes it stalls me and sometimes it kicks my metabolism into gear for some odd reason. I do notice though that I get very tipsy after only 1 drink.

Jarcat
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 14:06
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggerz
I started the meat & egg fast (second attempt) again today as well.. so good luck to you.

My rule of thumb is...if its not meat, or eggs, or water..I'm not touching it.

ahem, I'll ask again..
Quote:
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 14:19

It is a Type of Rye it is a little more pricer than Crown Rolyal and a little easyer to get down on strait on the Rocks. IT is a hard alcohol