Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-18-09, 05:57

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Gluten-free carrot cake - European measurements [not low carb]

Hi there!

I found this recipe on a package of organic carrots, stuck it on my kitchen cupboard ages ago and finally got round to making it yesterday.

I am going to use European measurements because that is what I have. If you have a pair of scales that you can convert to grammes, then you'll be fine. An American friend of mine has just bought me a set of American measuring cups, so I might be able to do the conversions to cups when I get them from her. But for the meantime, this will have to do.

For some low-carbers, the amount of carbs might be too high, but I am pretty sure it can't work out at too many carbs per slice... (I am a Groves/Schwarzbein disciple and their plans allow me 70g-100g of carbs per day).

Anyway, I was really pleased because it worked out fine first time!!! So I shall translate the recipe faithfully from the packaging and wish you all luck if you try it!

Carrot Cake - light and delicious (that is what it says on the bag - and it is true!!!)

Ingredients:

- 250g organic carrots, finely grated
- 5 eggs (I used large eggs)
- 175g sugar (I used unrefined raw cane sugar)
- pinch of ground cinnamon (I used about 1/3 of a teaspoon)
- pinch of salt (ditto as above)
- 250g of almonds, ground (I ground them myself as I had some at home)
- 100g potato starch (the original recipe says ordinary flour, but I replaced it with potato starch)
- 1 tsp baking powder (I used a generous teaspoon)
- butter for the baking tin

Method:

1) Separate egg whites and egg yolks. Mix the egg yolks with the sugar and beat it to a foamy consistency. Beat the egg whites till they are stiff.

2) Put the ground almonds and potato flour in a bowl. Add the ground cinnamon, baking powder and salt to these ingredients. Add this mixture, along with the stiff egg whites, slowly and carefully, a few portions at a time, to a large bowl containing the egg yolk and sugar mixture.

3) Now add the grated carrots and mix all ingredients together so they all seem mixed in evenly.

4) Grease your baking tin (I used a 26cm baking tin that has a spring opening on it) and pour in mixture. Put the mixture into tin and place in the middle of a preheated oven, temperature: 175°C, for about 60 minutes. I turned the temperature down to 160°C after half an hour as I had the fan on, and had to bake it for about 75 mins in all. I turned the oven off after an hour and left it in for the last fifteen minutes just using up the residual heat.

It turned out really well!!! I had a piece this morning (1/8) and would love to work out how many carbs that slice had!!! But I figure it has to be less than your average cake, because it doesn't have such a high percentage of very carby carbs... It tastes like "normal" cake and does have a nice light consistency, which I am sure is down to all the beating you have to do.

And it has no wheat flour, no gluten!!!

Admittedly, the downside is that it is not made in a trice like a "normal" cake, but the effort was worth it. I used a lot of mixing bowls, too!!!

This would be a cake you could make for visitors and still eat yourself even if you are watching your gluten/carb intake.

Happy Baking!!!

amanda

Last edited by amandawood : Thu, Nov-19-09 at 02:17. Reason: add a missing ingredient
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-18-09, 18:38

Plan: Under 50 grams
Stats: 190.2/181.0/147 Female 5'4.5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawood
Mix the egg yolks with the sugar and beat it to a foamy consistency.

Did I miss the sugar amount in the recipe, can you use splenda?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-09, 02:23

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaGirl
Did I miss the sugar amount in the recipe, can you use splenda?

Thanks for pointing this out. Sorry, I did miss the sugar bit...

I have no idea whether Splenda could be used instead, but personally, I wouldn't fiddle with the recipe too much. I imagine you could use a tad more carrots and a bit less sugar, say 300g carrots and 150g sugar instead of the quantities given.

I am not a fan of artificial sugars myself: I'd rather use a less processed product, just not very often, than use a lab-made product like Splenda. And, anyway, if you're doing SB, you should have a little bit more leeway with carbs, I imagine.

I would imagine that if you just had this in small quantities as a treat once in a blue moon, or made it for visitors, it wouldn't break the carb bank.

I shall work out what roughly what the carb count is. I need to find a carb counter that tells me what cooked carrots are per 100g, as I know they have more carbs than raw carrots.

amanda