Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-19-11, 14:07

Plan: Atkins, Anti-Candida diet
Stats: 128/121.2/118 Female 5'5"
BF:hip/waist ratio
Progress: 68%
Default What's your opinion about Erythritol?

What is your opinion about Erythritol? Do you think it does/doesn't influence Candida growth??

I've tried to find some info about this on the Internet, but opinions vary or claim that it doesn't cause overgrowth...

I don't know. I use it for baking along with Stevia...Erythiritol doesn't cause me digestive distress (Xylitol and other "-ols" do)...but, I have no idea whether I am sabotaging myself as far as candida diet is concerned.

If you do use Erythritol, what brand is the best?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-11, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress:

Xylitol and other sugar polyols are fermentable. I have fructose malabsorbtion which incorporates 'FODMAPS', so erythritol is also fermentable which would possibly also cause the same digestive distress. I haven't tried it. I thought xylitol was meant to kill candida but I think my digestive distress overrode any benefits. I'll follow the thread to see how you get on. I'm at a loss as to how to sweeten things...my dietician suggested maple syrup as an alternative for me but that will be food for candida.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 09:16

Suee
Thanks for your comment.
Yes, Erythritol is created by fermentation, but it is also purified for three times. So I am not sure if the fermentation process still has a negative effect on a body. I honestly say, my belly feels normal after eating it. I drink Zevia sodas (sweetened by Stevia and erythritol) and I feel normal afterwards, I stay in ketosis too. Xylitol works like other "-ols" for me - I get horrible digestive distress. My yeast problems worsen immediately then too.
I am thinking about using primarily Stevia extract. To counter the bitter aftertaste, I will mix in a bit of erythritol...

Come on people, post your opinions
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 09:18

Your dietitian suggested maple syrup even though he knows you are having problems with Candida? What was he thinking?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 10:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/194/185 Female 5'8"
BF:too much :-(
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonika
What is your opinion about Erythritol? Do you think it does/doesn't influence Candida growth??

I've tried to find some info about this on the Internet, but opinions vary or claim that it doesn't cause overgrowth...

I don't know. I use it for baking along with Stevia...Erythiritol doesn't cause me digestive distress (Xylitol and other "-ols" do)...but, I have no idea whether I am sabotaging myself as far as candida diet is concerned.

If you do use Erythritol, what brand is the best?

Both Xylitol and Erythritol sugar alcohols. However, the end product is not alcoholic and does not feed candida. That said, I was on one site that said sugar alcohols should be restricted, but since xylitol is also an anti-bacterial it is allowed in moderation.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-11, 10:16

Oh, forgot something.... I use both Xylitol and Erythritol. I am in love with Erythritol! I buy the powdered version since it dissolves completely in things like salad dressings etc. It looks just like icing sugar so it's also nice sprinkled on LC baking.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 02:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonika
Your dietitian suggested maple syrup even though he knows you are having problems with Candida? What was he thinking?

Yeah I know! My dietician doesn't know much about candida - a state dietician who I'm seeing on the UK health system. I have found that doctors and anyone else who is employed by the state disregards candida as a possible reason for my health problems. Her advice regarding the FODMAP side of things is good though, out of 4 state or private dieticians I've seen she's the only one who has been able to advise me.

Erythritol sounds very promising. I will have to try to get hold of some!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 02:59
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Just googled it and came across the following

"Erythritol has a high digestive tolerance: 2 to 3 times better than xylitol, lactitol, maltitol and isomalt and 3 to 4 times better than sorbitol and mannitol.

In reasonable amounts, erythritol doesn’t cause digestive upset and diarrhea that other sugar alcohols like sorbitol and xylitol are known to cause. This is because erythritol is a smaller molecule and 90 percent of erythritol is absorbed in the small intestine and for the most part excreted unchanged in urine. This quality makes erythritol unique among the sugar alcohols."
http://www.naturallygreen.co.uk/ery...ment-p-972.html

I think it's worth a shot!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 05:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suee

I think it's worth a shot!

I would think so... just be prepared... I believe it is the most expensive sugar alcohol.

The good news is that the Glycemic Index is 0. Xylitol is 13, and sugar is around 60. So from that perspective, it's good!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 11:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suee
Xylitol and other sugar polyols are fermentable. I have fructose malabsorbtion which incorporates 'FODMAPS', so erythritol is also fermentable which would possibly also cause the same digestive distress. I haven't tried it. I thought xylitol was meant to kill candida but I think my digestive distress overrode any benefits. I'll follow the thread to see how you get on. I'm at a loss as to how to sweeten things...my dietician suggested maple syrup as an alternative for me but that will be food for candida.

I don't believe E. is fermentable. It is absorbed before it reaches the large intestines where fermentation happens.

Quote:
In the body, erythritol is absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine, and then for the most part excreted unchanged in the urine. Because erythritol is normally absorbed before it enters the large intestine, it does not normally cause laxative effects as are often experienced after over-consumption of other sugar alcohols (such as xylitol and maltitol) and most people will consume erythritol with no side effects. This is a unique characteristic, as other sugar alcohols are not absorbed directly by the body in this manner, and consequently are more prone to causing gastric distress.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythritol

This is why you don't get gas from E. but you do from Z.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 12:00

Thank you all for your posts. I am glad the discussion has picked up. I've been very concerned about Erythritol feeding candida - but reading your comments, I am becoming more optimistic about using it.
Let me share one experience with you:
I used to use Xylitol in my cookies. One day, I overate them and got bloating and diarrhea from hell. The next day - a yeast infection. I suspect that anything casing bloating allows candida spread out in my body. Bloating is actually another word for fermentation ,right?