Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-20, 04:50

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Low-carb diets transformed all our lives

Low-carb diets transformed all our lives:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...tons-lives.html

Quote:
A low carb diet is having significant success in GP practices throughout the UK, as the Mail will reveal in a major series starting this Saturday.

This features Dr David Unwin, one of the pioneers of the low carb movement - as an NHS GP in Southport, he has seen impressive turnarounds in his patients' weight and type 2 diabetes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-20, 05:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good to read about Dr. Unwin and his patients' successes. Sorry to read the evaluations of the "low carb" processed foods at the end of the article. Sends a very conflicting message to the readers regarding "foods" I wouldn't touch.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-20, 06:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Sorry to read the evaluations of the "low carb" processed foods at the end of the article. Sends a very conflicting message to the readers regarding "foods" I wouldn't touch.
Yes, I thought that too.

However, while I'm sure that very few of us who post here would use or advocate them, I am of the opinion that those who say 'they couldn't live without bread,' for example, are more likely to at least try a low carb diet if such 'substitutes' are available - at least in the short term.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-20, 08:11

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Sorry to read the evaluations of the "low carb" processed foods at the end of the article. Sends a very conflicting message to the readers regarding "foods" I wouldn't touch.
Nor would I, BUT there are a lot of people like my husband. He has over the last few weeks lost a good deal of weight eating low carb. Most days, he eats one Atkins bar and after dinner he eats a low carb ice cream pop. Not only is his weight down, his blood pressure is as well. His meds are cut in half. His digestion and sleep are better.

When I first started low carbing five years ago, he thought it was too extreme. Slowly he came around and has realized it's not the calories. Last weekend, he ate a soft pretzel and immediately noticed hunger and other ill effects. Right now, my carnivore diet is still too extreme for him. But we'll see how he feels about it in another five years...
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-20, 08:30

BF:

Ok, it makes sense that these products exist as "training wheels" for those new and adapting to low carb. People need to read the labels to understand what they're consuming with these processed foods.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-20, 08:50

BF:

Quote:
Ok, it makes sense that these products exist as "training wheels" for those new and adapting to low carb. People need to read the labels to understand what they're consuming with these processed foods.
Some people need a crutch, others don't.

Usually once people know what they're doing, they tend to take a greater interest, such as reading the labels (hopefully).
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-03-20, 09:45

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Good to read about Dr. Unwin and his patients' successes. Sorry to read the evaluations of the "low carb" processed foods at the end of the article. Sends a very conflicting message to the readers regarding "foods" I wouldn't touch.

This is the truth, my DW whole family is like this. They love carbs like it's the last day on earth. Most of them do a diet for a month and lose 10-15 pounds then go back to killing everything at every family event.

I stick to my WOE and it works. Some one mentioned better sleep and so on, this is so true! the way you feel when you are on this WOE for 60 full days and eating on track is awesome.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 02:23

BF:

Quote:
A low carb diet is having significant success in GP practices throughout the UK, as the Mail will reveal in a major series starting this Saturday.

This features Dr David Unwin, one of the pioneers of the low carb movement - as an NHS GP in Southport, he has seen impressive turnarounds in his patients' weight and type 2 diabetes.
So here's the link to the start of the series:

Reverse diabetes by having your cake... and eating it! NHS expert DR DAVID UNWIN shares his revolutionary plan

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...onary-plan.html

Quote:
A year ago I introduced Mail readers to my low-carb approach to putting type 2 diabetes into remission, telling how it’s transformed the health of patients in my GP practice.

I’ve been overwhelmed by how our story has caught the public’s imagination — and inspired GPs, too. Over a thousand fellow doctors have signed up to take the e-learning course I designed for the Royal College of General Practitioners,

I’ve also been asked to give countless talks on low carb and its impact on patients with type 2 diabetes — including later this month, at the Diabetes UK professional conference in Glasgow.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 04:47

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

And on the front page of the Scottish Daily Mail is a banner advertising these articles, illustrated with a large burger, in a bun😄
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 10:37

BF:

Imagine how difficult it is for a person to distinguish between fact and fiction in today's world with these mixed messages. Those of us who frequent this forum have an uncharacteristic interest in achieving health, weight control by eating and understanding nutrition. I realize how unusual this behavior is when looking at the general population, as we are a small minority who have chosen to take control in a way counter to most of the messages society receives today on health. Showing ads for manufactured "low carb foods" is difficult enough, and showing ads for bunned burgers with an article discussing the opposite is downright confusing to most. In my normal conversations with people, the concept of achieving health through mindful choices of healthy foods and eating is so muddled, I wonder how anyone can successfully pursue this without becoming a nutrition geek. Many I encounter don't know what a carbohydrate is and many think it's just sugar. So, while cutting sugar is a start, they undermine themselves by thinking they're eating healthy by consuming the very things that become sugar when consumed. Very difficult, and with the loud, constant messages from those having vested interests whether through some type of ideology or revenue pursuits, no one is going to be credible when representing what works in this category.

Another post discussed findings of improved life span due to low carb eating might attract interest. I termed it the "fountain of youth" claim tongue-in-cheek, but I do believe when enough N=1 stories become known and more findings confirm there are benefits of low carb in extending one's life span and quality of life, there are possibilities that more will jump on board. It's happening today to a degree with the constant keto chatter. Is keto good for everyone, not likely, but anything in that general direction is an improvement over SAD and the processed "convenience" foods we are inundated with today. How convenient is it when one has to have a limb amputated?

I often think about the recent findings about LDL cholesterol:

After age 50, people with high LDL cholesterol have:
- Better cognitive function
- Better memory
- Lower risks of infection
- Lower cancer risks
- Longer lifespan

NOTE: A study in Japan shows over the last 50 years with an increase in cholesterol, heart disease decreased by 400% and incidents of stroke dropped by 700%.

The Odyssey Trial showed a difference of 0.5% in morbidity and heart related improvements in those who took cholesterol-lowering drugs to those who didn't. 19,000 participated in this study. Imagine if the group that didn't take the drugs was eating healthy low carb. What would the previously miniscule difference be in this case?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-20, 10:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Showing ads for manufactured "low carb foods" is difficult enough, and showing ads for bunned burgers with an article discussing the opposite is downright confusing to most.

Or they are just used to it. Show me a women's magazine that does NOT combine "miracle diet" with goodies on the cover. It's almost impossible
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-20, 03:24

BF:

Quote:
Eat to beat diabetes! Delicious ways to reverse type 2 and transform your health
  • Dr David Unwin claims a low-carb diet can be beneficial for tackling type 2
  • NHS Diabetes expert says low-carb diets can be satisfying and fend off hunger
  • Food writer Katie Caldesi shares a selection of delicious low-carb recipes
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...orm-health.html
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-20, 03:02

BF:

Quote:
Eat to beat diabetes: In Part 2 of our guide on how to reverse type 2 disease NHS expert DR DAVID UNWIN and chef KATIE CALDESI bring you the comfort food you can scoff and still be low carb

Today, in the third part of our life-changing series, NHS GP Dr David Unwin reveals how going low-carb has helped type 2 diabetes patients reduce their medication doses — or even come off it completely — and why it is not just those with diabetes that can benefit.

Meanwhile, chef and food writer Katie Caldesi offers her delicious take on some true family favourites.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...f-low-carb.html
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-13-20, 02:47

BF:

Quote:
Eat to beat diabetes: NHS expert DR DAVID UNWIN and chef KATIE CALDESI show you how tasty proof low-carb recipes can also be low-cost

Today, in the final part of our groundbreaking series, NHS GP Dr David Unwin explains how to make the low-carb plan budget-friendly — and how exercise can help you beat type 2 diabetes; while chef and food writer Katie Caldesi reveals her exclusive recipes for low-carb meals for under £1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...s-low-cost.html
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-21-20, 21:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I haven’t read the whole series yet but will have to read more to see exactly what sort of diet he’s recommending since it seemed sad that fewer than half his diabetic patients were able to get off their meds.