Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 18:59
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default I think I have PCOS

I have heard of this before and blown it off but ever since I was 15 I had issues with my menstrual cycle.

I think it began with anorexia when I stopped eating and lived on very very few calories for months on end. I just stopped menstruating and ever since it was never normal. My weight has always shot up and down and I would sometimes bleed for a month and others not bleed for 8 months. I was always afraid of birth control pills and just never took them. I never minded.

About a year ago I went through a phase where I was having severe pelvic pains and I still wasnt menstruating. The docs were saying I was pregnant I tried telling them there was no way I was (I rarely had sex and it was always protected) Either way they checked and I wasnt (big surprise) They did find overian cysts but I dont know if there were many or anything like that. She just said they are common and that all women have them.

I have an excessive amount of facial hair (made worse by foolishly shaving a few times) But I think I have some type of hormonal imbalance. I have been thinking that for a while now. I also actually found this because I was researching the dark skin patches I have in my inner thigh area and used to have on my elbows. They are gone from my elbows but I have had them in my inner thighs for years.

I assumed they were from my thighs rubbing but I was looking to see if there was anything I can do about it. I also have brown underneath my breasts every once in a while but that usually goes away.

The hair on my head is also thinning and falling out.

No one in my immediate family has diabetes but I think both my great grandparents had it.

My family also has a history of high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

I definitely think I am insulin resistant from all that I have read and I have been LCing for about a month and a half.

None of the doctors I have spoken to are familiar with PCOS and I dont have insurance so its very expensive for me to keep running off to see doctors all the time.

Should I just stick with the LCing now and lose weight first and see if my symptoms get better or go away before running off to see doctors?

I fully intend on getting laser for my excess body hair after I get closer to my goal weight and the skin discoloring I really want something to help but I heard retin a might help with that and I will also weight till I am at my goal weight and my thighs will no longer rub.

Should I go look for an endocrinologist now or should I just basically self diagnose myself for the time being, lose weight first and then see what happens next.

Oh, I should also add that for the past 6 months, for the first time in my life my menstural cycle has been fairly regular. Basically ever since I began losing weight and eating healthier.

So what do you think?

MJ

Last edited by MyJourney : Sun, Nov-16-03 at 19:10.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 20:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I know that doctors are expensive when you don't have insurance and I sympathize. Have you done a lot of searching of the Net and reading? That may help you to reach a conclusion about your health. But don't depend on a message board to give you a diagnosis of a medical condition.

That said, if you are improving, AND if these present symptoms are not life threatening, then LC eating is going to be a good thing to do. There is a forum here about PCOS and people there may be of help. LCing is a recommended treatment for PCOS as it is considered a disease of insulin resistance. Certainly, your times of anorexic eating did not help your endocrine condition.

Look into the Schwarzbein forum as her eating plan is targeted toward healing the metabolism. It would be worthwhile to see if your local library has any books on PCOS or the Schwarzbein books.

It sounds as though LC eating is already working its healing on your system. Sudden regulation of the menstrual cycle is a good indication that the hormomes are becoming more normal. I hope it continues for you.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 06:21
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

I tested my blood sugar this morning in a fasted state.

It was 72. I have been LCing for a while now. Is this normal or too high?

I read somewhere that 70-90 in a fasted state is good for a normal person but what abbout if you are LCing and not taking in any sugar?

Thanks,

MJ
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 07:52

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Check out this site for normal range for glucose readings:WebMD

Since for fasting (12 hours) any reading below 110 is considered good, your reading of 72 is fine.

When we don't eat glucose or things that easily turn into glucose, our body can create glucose out of protein IF it really needs it. It's called 'gluconeogenesis'. Those who say "you must eat glucose" have yet to explain how the Inuit/Eskimo of the Arctic regions managed to survive through the winters for centuries on a diet of meat and fat for more than 6 months of every year. Not many potato farms north of the Arctic circle (like NONE!). It's only now that a "normal North American diet" is available year round that the Inuit are developing diabetes at a remarkably rapid rate. Just like the rest of the population.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 09:30

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

MyJourney...if you do happen to go to a endo you may also want to get checked for thyroid issues...which can slow weigh loss, cause weight gain, dry skin(which could be the thighs rubbing and dry skin causing that..not sure just an idea), Hair loss, brittle, dry hair, abnormal menstural cycle, and many other symptoms. http://www.endocrineweb.com/hypo1.html this is a website with more info on this...The reason I suggest this is because I have PCOS and I have hypothyroidism which I am told was caused by me being bulimic(gorging and vomiting) in teen years...I hope you find out what is going on...Good luck
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 04:35
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

Well looks like my period didnt come this month -sighs- I made an appointment yesterday with a doctor but its in Jan. I hope I get it before then. Ever since I started eating better I was doing so well with it!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 09:07

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Brown patches on the elbows and other friction areas could also be a sign of Addison's Disease. That's a malfunction in the adrenals. Please have that checked too!

Some symptoms include:
The onset of the illness is gradual with progressive tiredness and easy fatigability, weakness, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting, weight loss, brown pigmentation of the skin and mucous membranes, low blood pressure and occasionally low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia).

http://www.teleplexus.com/Comp_Article_AD.html

Anyway, I would try to see an endocrinologist; I would say the problems are probably hormone related.