Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 02:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177.8/170.8/122.1
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Ketosis & SLim Forever

Hey guys... maybe someone that knows a bit more about atkins than me can tell me if this is true or not

It is an AUstralian plan called Slim Forever..the doctor that has created it had this to say about ketosis:

The liver produces ketone bodies during the process of oxidising fat for use in the 19 major functions fat performs in the human body. These ketone bodies are converted into Acetyl Co-A that is used by the brain. If fat loss is excessive, especially in the absence of sufficient carbohydrate, the additional ketone bodies cause the blood to become acidic and this poses a great danger and can cause death. Excessive ketone production is avoided with the Slim Forever program.

He goes on to say that ketosis is very dangerous...How can some people say it is, and some say its not?
Slim forever is also a low carb diet, but it incorporates some carbs.

Another question......
Im on induction, and find it hard to resist the occasional no carb chocolate or caramel chew...I Know Im not supposed to eat these on induction, but if I saty under 20 carbs..does it matter?
I know its supposed to increase my cravings...that i can handle..but what about slowing weight loss?

thanks!
carly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 04:16
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Re: Ketosis & SLim Forever

Quote:
Originally posted by Carly4282

Another question......
Im on induction, and find it hard to resist the occasional no carb chocolate or caramel chew...I Know Im not supposed to eat these on induction, but if I saty under 20 carbs..does it matter?
I know its supposed to increase my cravings...that i can handle..but what about slowing weight loss?

thanks!
carly

Can you handle increased cravings? I find that it's a lot easier to say no to all "treats" for a short while and then get over the cravings than it is to treat here and there and always have that craving talking in the background. Try a clean induction for 2 weeks with no treats or bars. Eat what is natural, what your ancestors had to choose from. It makes a big difference in long term success, I believe.

Your other question about ketosis...it is well known in all medical books and studies that the preferred fuel for the brain and other organs is ketones, which are used more efficiently. Some people's explaination of the warnings about ketosis come from their misunderstanding and confusion with diabetic ketoacidosis. (sp?) That, I believe is when there is such a high level of sugar in the blood and not enough insulin to knock it down that the body breaks down muscle to burn because it can't use the sugar without insulin. The breaking down of muscles creates ketones to use. In regular ketosis, there is not an excess of sugar in our bodies, and what little there is can be handled easily by our own insulin, hence our ketones come from burning stored fat and not muscle.

At least that's my understanding of how it works.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 04:46

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

to supplement what Beth said, here is a link to a thread on the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ht=ketoacidosis
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 07:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%
Post Straight from Atkins website....

I just wanted to send along the info regarding the no carb products and what not. I personally prefer sticking to the induction diet as closely w/o any of these products, adapting to living w/o grains and sugars, keeping strict w/ mostly protein and allowed veggies and salad toppings. HOWEVER- Dr. Atkins does NOT say that you cannot have these things in induction. Its highly suggested to use them only occasional and make sure you keep up with the carb count. (under 20) As it does take away from your veggie count if you count your total carb intake, and that's not good.
Here's the copy from the Atkins website however.

Convenience Foods
Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack. More and more companies are creating healthy food products that can be eaten during the Induction phase of Atkins. Just remember two things:

Not all convenience food products are the same, so check labels and carbohydrate content. (See the Online Store for Atkins brand products.)
While any of these foods can make doing Atkins easier, don’t overdo it. Remember, you must always follow The Rules of Induction.