Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 06:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/currently modified anti-candida diet
Stats: 144/137/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Best treatment?

Can someone shed some light on which is the best treatment Caprylic Acid or Undecenoic Acid? And is it recommended to take Acidophilus at the same time or will the above 2 acids kill it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 04:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/186/135
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH

WHAT IS BEST PARTIALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE ALREADY TAKING. I WAS TOLD BY MY COLONIC HYDROTHERAPIST (WHO IS ALSO AN R.N.) THAT BECAUSE I AM TAKING SO MANY OTHER SUPPLEMENTS, GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT WOULD BE BEST FOR ME, AS CAPRYLIC ACID MIGHT BE TOO STRONG. I HAVEN'T HEARD OF THE OTHER THING YOU MENTIONED.

SHE ALSO SAID TO *NEVER* TAKE AN ANTI-FUNGAL (CAPRYLIC ACID, GRAPEFRUIT SEED EXTRACT, ETC.) AT THE SAME TIME AS ANY GOOD BACTERIA (ACIDOPHILUS, BIFUDUS, ETC.), AS, JUST LIKE YOU SAID, THE ANTI-FUNGAL WILL KILL IT. SURE, TAKE THEM BOTH, JUST AT DIFFERENT TIMES OF DAY.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-08-02, 05:12
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Beth,
I am going to be taking Formula SF-722, which is basically undecenoic acid. Modernherbalist.com says it is to be more effective than caprylic acid remedies, yet gentler to the system. I did buy acidophilus and am not taking it when I eat yogurt because I wasn't sure if it would be too much of the "good" bacteria. I sometimes get a stomach ache after eating the yogurt. How is your candida treatment going? Did you experience the die-off symptoms. That has me a little nervous to begin treatment. I just received the Formula SF-722 yesterday and was planning on beginning on Monday. I am going to be following the diet plan that the woman who had success with this product used.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 04:17

BF:

I AM GLAD YOU HAVE FOUND SOMETHING TO TAKE THAT YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN. I HAVE NEVER SEEN "MODERN HERBALIST" OVER HERE-SOUNDS GOOD!

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE STOMACH ACHE AFTER LIVE YOGURT. OF COURSE, I AM LACTOSE INTOLERANT, SO THAT COULD HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT I TAKE LACTASE (THE ENZYME LACTOSE INTOLERANT PEOPLE ARE MISSING) EVERY TIME I TAKE YOGURT OR ANYTHING DAIRY, SO THAT HELPS SOME. THE TUMMY ACHE COULD BE THE CANDIDA COMPLAINING (HERE'S HOPING, EH?).

AS FOR DIE OFF, I AM STILL PRETTY NEW TO ALL OF THIS. I HAVE BEEN FEELING LESS THAN CHIPPER THIS PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS, BUT, HAVING M.S. AS WELL, I NEVER KNOW WHAT TO BLAME MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN COMMENTING THAT I HAVE BEEN RATHER QUIET RECENTLY, AND THAT IS *NOT* LIKE ME AT ALL

I HAVE READ ABOUT DIE-OFF, BUT ALSO THAT SOME PEOPLE *DON'T* GET IT AT ALL, SO LET'S HOPE THAT'S US.

I HAVE BEEN ON AN ANTI-CANDIDA DIET FOR ALMOST A MONTH NOW, AND HAD COLONIC HYDROTHERAPY TWICE, SO HOPEFULLY THE COMBINATION WILL SOON SEND THE CANDIDA PACKING!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 05:19
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Beth for the encouraging words. I am ready to be through with Candida and I just learned about it.

How are you doing with the anti-candida diet? What do you typically eat? I have been searching for sample meuns, but not a lot has come up. I think I am too much of a "by the book" person. That is why I am giving up Atkins while I do this treatment.

Stomache ache must have something to do with the candida because it also occurred yesterday after I took my acidophilus, too. I can't recall any other milk products doing that. However, a few weeks back my husband wanted to take the family out for ice cream and reluctantly I had a small serving. I was sick with stomache pains for 4 - 5 days. I attributed it to the sugar content, but maybe it is lactose intolerance. The only form of dairy I have been having since this woe is cheese and heavy cream. They never seemed to bother me. The yogurt is new since I learned about candida.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 15:44

BF:

YOU DO KNOW THAT CHEESE IS OUT ON AN ANTI-CANDIDA DIET, RIGHT (THE ONE I AM ON ANYWAY)? IT IS SOMETHING TO DO WITH MOLD.

DAIRY FEEDS IT; CREAM, BEING A FAT, DOESN'T SEEM TO DO SO, THOUGH, SO I DON'T WORRY ABOUT BUTTER EITHER. I ALSO EAT LIVE YOGURTS.

AS FOR DIETS, I HAVEN'T FOUND THAT THE ANTI-CANDIDA DIET HAS GIVEN ME ANY DIFFICULTY WITH ATKINS OR PROTEIN POWER.

WHAT DO I EAT? GOOD QUESTION. BREAKFAST IS A *BIG* PROBLEM FOR ME SINCE I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH EGGS. SMOKED MEATS ARE OUT ON MY CANDIDA DIET, SO NO BACON. SAUSAGES OVER HERE HAVE TOO MUCH RUBBISH IN THEM, SO "TYPICAL" BREAKFAST FOOD IS OUT FOR ME. I SOMETIMES HAVE A PROTEIN SHAKE, MADE WITH SOYA PROTEN AND SOYA MILK WITH SWEEET-N-LO. OR I MASH UP TOFU WITH SWEET-N-LO, AND VANILLA, OR, WHEN I HAD IT, SOME ATKINS MAPLE SYRUP (WATERY BUT YUMMY!). LO-CARB BARS ARE HANDY FOR BREAKFAST; I HAVE ONE LEFT (BROUGHT SOME BACK WHEN I WAS ON HOLIDAY IN AMERICA RECENTLY). FAILING THAT, I CAN ALWAYS OPEN A CAN OF TUNA

FOR LUNCH, I HAVE TUNA AND SALAD, OR LEFTOVER MEAT FROM THE NIGHT BEFORE AND VEGETABLES. I AM SO LAZY ABOUT COOKING FOR MYSELF THAT I DO STRUGGLE DURING THE DAY, I MUST ADMIT. COLD CUTS ARE OUT FOR ME AS THEY ALL SEEM TO HAVE SO MUCH RUBBISH N THEM (ALMOST ALWAYS SUGAR,IF NOTHING ELSE). POOP.

FOR TEA (EVENING MEAL), TONIGHT I SAUTEED SOME GRATED COURGETTES (ZUCCHINI) IN BUTTER, THEN ADDED 4 CHICKEN BREASTS THAT I HAD DICED AND SPRINKLED WITH GARLIC SALT AND SEASON ALL. I COOKED THAT ON A MEDIUM HEAT, THEN JUST BEFORE WE ATE, I TURNED THE HEAT OFF, LET IT COOL A WEE BIT, THEN ADDED ABOUT 2 OUNCES OF DOUBLE (HEAVY) CREAM. MY HUSBAND WAS WELL IMPRESSED. HE HAD OVEN CHIPS (FRIES) WTH HIS. THERE IS ENOUGH FOR MY LUNCH OR TEA TOMORROW NIGHT.

OTHER THAN THAT, FOR TEA, I COOK MEAT AND VEGETABLES, AND GIVE MY HUSBAND POTATOES, RICE, PASTA, OR WHATEVER, WITH HIS.

I AM SORRY NOT TO BE MORE HELP.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-09-02, 19:55
Registered Member

BF:

Beth,
You were a great help. I like to know what other people are eating. I have taken a break from from reading the journals since I started researching candida.

Yes, I know about not having cheese. The plan I will be following does allow cheese and a few other of the forbidden foods IF they are well heated. You must use moderation as well. I have made sure to rid the fridge of the sharp cheddar that I so adore. I am going to try my best at staying away from cheese as much as I can for the time being.

I do still fix the potatoes, pastas, and breads that my family are accustomed to. It doesn't bother me because I know they are off limits. For some reason I am finding it harder to get started with this treatment than I did with going on Atkins, but I am going to give it a try.

About heavy cream, the only time I use it is with coffee, berries, or in a cheese sauce. Since those things are out I will probably not have it at all.

I love to cook, so this may end up being rewarding in a way that I haven't thought of yet. Thanks for all your advice. I will try and keep you posted on how things work out.