Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddypark
Alright now this is what I am talking about--
last night I was watching a TV show -think it was Doscovery or something like that- 3 women (from the same family) at the same time had gastric bypass within a year of the bypass 2 out of the 3 had a total body lift. Two more women from the same family at a later time also had gastric bypass.
Now none of these women were more than 125 pounds overweight. And none of them were overweight for their whole life--they only gained weight after having many children.
My questions are why not wait longer to have the body lift? Did any of them even bother to try to exercise to tighten and tone? They said that dieting never worked for any of them. Do they think that all of lifes problems will be cured by surgery?
......Thoughts?......

I can't speak about the GBS but I can speak of getting reconstructive surgery after massive weight loss. I can tell you it is NOT a "quick fix" but indeed the only option if you are unsatisfied with your skin following massive obesity.

When it comes to massive obesity, it is a myth that exercise will do anything to fix it. Skin is an organ separate from muscle; building muscle will just help "fill out" skin. Needless to say, if you've been pretty morbidly obese, it's likely your skin will be such that "toning up" is hardly adequate. That may work if you were only a little bit overweight.

Basically if the skin is just "loose and flabby" toning will work - but it if it's like redundant from the extent of loseness... building muscle isn't going to help that much.

Furthermore, age, length of time overweight... while they will help improve skin quality IMO the primary determinate are genes, degree of obesity, and rate of gain.
Genetically my skin is like my mother's: english, scars easily and is thinner. Therefore my skin took more damage than, for example, my cousin who has very thick skin even though her high weight was similar to mine (considering her height). I'm amazed at how she only has stretch marks on her stomach; her arms and thighs are pristine.

Degree of obesity and rate of gain are important. If you gain weight very very slowly over a long period of time, the skin is less likely to sustain permanent damage than if you gained in a couple of big spurts. The damage occurs when stretching of skin exceeds ability to grow - this causes scars and damage which results in lose skin. Obviously, gaining weight very very slowly will preserve skin better than if you suddenly gained.
Speaking personally, I gained weight pretty rapidly AND it was at a time that I was growing into adulthood.

While it's true my age probably helped lessen the damage... it's also true my age helped contribute by putting a greater strain on the need for skin to grow combined with dramatically increasing weight.

Plus there's perception.
Some people aren't as perfectionistic as others and may find it easier to live with excess skin.

Like all problems it's a multifactored issue. Some people will find their skin isn't that bad, others will. Either way, it is indisputable that surgery really is the only option for extreme loose skin. I can grab my skin in handfuls in some areas. I am intending on getting it done, for sure.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 17:51
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo
Degree of obesity and rate of gain are important. If you gain weight very very slowly over a long period of time, the skin is less likely to sustain permanent damage than if you gained in a couple of big spurts.

Do you have a reference for this Woo. I've always wondered about the difference folks exhibit in skin/flab issues.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 17:58
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I personally thing age and rate of loss would have more to do with skin elasticity, along with heredity. I know women who gained more, and more quickly than I during pregnancy, and yet they had NO stretch marks...where my skin unraveled at about 6 months gestation.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 20:37
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

My skin is bad. The skin is very stretched and delicate and crepey and wrinkly on my upper arms, stomach, upper thighs. My breasts were really, really bad, but I had a breast reduction in 2000.

I don't know what caused the poor skin, heredity, fast gain or fast loss, I've done both, fast gains & fast losses, more than once for both. I'm not sure that it was age in my case because my skin was bad in my early 30s. Heck, my breasts were sagging in my teens. I generally have exercised when I was losing weight before so I don't think (at least for me) that exercise has anything to do with saggy skin.

So, I'm more inclined to think heredity has more to do with the skin issues than age, but this is just my experience.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 21:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

wow...i just noticed something.

i am watching ER and i know that a few years back an actress that plays a nurse on the show had gastric bypass. she looked like a completely different person. well...i am watching now and noticed with shock.....she GAINED a lot of weight back!!! what a shame.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-05, 09:36
Bouncy!

Actually, if I remember correctly, she didn't have a gastric bypass, she did a liquid diet. http://www.yvettefreeman.com/ww.html
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-05, 09:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/274/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

oh wow....i had heard she had surgery. i guess that goes to show you that when someone loses a lot of weight, the surgery rumor spreads.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-05, 10:13

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

A problem with the diets, such as the liquid diet, used by Yvette is that you cannot stay on them for the rest of your life. Drinking 700 calories worth of shakes a day will definitely cause a weight loss, but at the end of the loss, you are at a loss as to what to do to keep the weight off. You just can't keep drinking shakes the rest of your life.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-05, 11:39
Still Wicked

BF:

I believe I've read that about 95% of us regain the weight we lose. As far as I know, that is independent of what method we use to lose it.

Actually, I was never sure if they were counting people, or weight loss attempts. I like to think (hope?) that it means that 95% of weight loss attempts fail in that way, but that eventually, a much higher percentage of us can ultimately lose the weight (perhaps after multiple failures) and keep it off.
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-05, 11:52

Plan: between plans again
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming
I believe I've read that about 95% of us regain the weight we lose. As far as I know, that is independent of what method we use to lose it.

(Why did I have to go and read that?)
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-05, 14:31
Bouncy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetyLouWho
(Why did I have to go and read that?)

Because to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Whenever I see someone post that they will NEVER be overweight again, I always say a silent prayer of sorts that they are right, but I always think, you don't know that for sure. Regaining weight is WAY, WAY, WAY too easy.

Vicki, I'm with you, I hope it's the attempts that fail, but that there is actually a higher percentage of people that achieve good results and maintain that result.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-05, 14:40
Still Wicked

BF:

I don't think we can ever really know if we can maintain forever, but for me, this particular weight loss experience feels different.

In the past, I've gotten almost to goal, only to have this very defined moment when I knew that losing weight wasn't *the answer* I thought it was to whatever problems motivated me to try to lose the weight. It didn't make me popular in high school or make my first husband love me later on. I'm hoping that this time, because I was only looking for weight loss to make me healthier and mebbe a bit better looking (not holding out for gorgeous), I can avoid that.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-05, 15:41
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

I dated a guy who had lost over 150 pounds... and he had loads of skin that just hung down. When I met him he had been doing BFL for over two years. His skin was not "snapping" back into shape. He had told me, and after seeing his skin, that surgery was his only choice. The excess skin on his stomach alone was probably an additional 15 lbs that just hung there. I myself am very lucky. My skin is resiliant and shows little from the 50 lbs I gained/lost. Not everyone is so lucky.

There are people that do become addicted to plastic surgery. But there are others that make the choice for sugery, be it WLS or plastic surgery, because they believe it will make a difference in their life.

Any surgery, IMHO, should require the Dr to talk about the psycholocial effects it will have on them and their family.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 02:58

Plan: GBS patient menus
Stats: 420/389/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Why do people make surgery an option? Can't we lose the flab on our own?? For me surgery is just not an option! and I am getting tired of people saying that the only way to lose the flab is to go under the knife!
There has to be a better way! If I wanted to have surgery I would let the doctor lipo the hell out of me and not bother with going on a diet!
I am just so frustrated by all of this!

Quote:
Why do people make surgery an option?

I had Gastric Bypass Surgery last week. Was it a quick fix? An option of vanity? No, it wasn't.
Quote:
Can't we lose the flab on our own??

Maybe you can. However, when you weigh 420lbs and your current daily diet exists purely of cottage cheese, water and lean protein for dinner it becomes a challege. I lived like that for 4 months pre-op. I avoided all carbs, all sugars and all fast foods. I lost a total of 20lbs in 4 months under Dr. supervision, didn't cheat and didn't have success.
Quote:
if I wanted to have surgery I would let the doctor lipo the hell out of me and not bother with going on a diet!

alas but still a surgical procedure.

~ 420 lbs I realized that I had to do something about my health. I would love to cook low carb, live eat and breathe low carb but to be honest I needed a tool to help me with a permanant solution to a long term problem. GBS Surgery is considered a major surgery and is not a decision made lightly.

The surgery itself gets a bad reputation from inexperienced doctors and people who do not really qualify for the surgery. In today's society however money talks.

A list of the reasons why I chose GBS:
1) PCOS: Completely infertile. At age 32 my husband and I do want to have children. The risks as most of you know increase dramatically after 35.
2) Adult onset type 2 diabetes which is very prevalent in our family. Both my sister and I are at extreme risk. She weighs far less than me and wouldnt have to resort to these desperate measures. (She is a regular her btw)
3) Sleep Apnea. I wake up on average a total of 37 times because the oxygen to my brain stops and the lack of blood flow shocks your body awake. This is verified from a physician directed sleep study.
4) extreme fatigue and chronic migraines direct result of sleep apnea.
5) GERD aka Acid Reflux
6) Bad bad hurty gallbladder
7) Incontinece
8) Hypertension.

All this and more at age 32?? I am a newlywed! I want to live to grow old with my husband and I want to have children. I have every confidence that we will make our marriage work despite my newfound transformation. WE believe in the marriage, and we both nurture our relationship.

My husband is as excited as I am and he is looking forward to my health and our long term happiness. All of the hate posts about how one spouse gets restless with the other simply wont happen to us because we focus on eachother in our daily life. I am looking forward to being a hot mamalacita just as much as he is. ATM, I am the one holding us back from the things we like to do like Season ticket padre games, parasailing, hiking etc.

I would encourage you to think out your comments before making a post like this. GBS is a last resort tool NOT CURE for morbid obesity. Those that abuse it will fail. Those that change their eating habits for the better, will succeed.

I will succeed because I understand and appreciate the tool.
25lbs down post operativly, many more to go.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 03:03

Plan: GBS patient menus
Stats: 420/389/145 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hmm my ticker is broken! Forgive my above typos, its way late here!

One last thing regarding skin: ~ 420 lbs my skin brokedown years ago and the plastic surgery will be a necessity for me no matter what. I could live with the extra 15-20 lbs the skin will weigh and will totally do so after I have two children. After that, its tummy tuck central. Regardless of how anyone else may feel I feel that I will deserve it, and cherish it as the final leg of my weight loss transformation.