Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 09:14

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%
Question Can You Lose Weight Without Medication

Hello!

Let me give a little background information. I have been overweight since the age of five and I am now 35 years old. I was diagnosed, officially, with PCOS about 5 years ago - although I wouldn't doubt my diagnosis came late. I've had acanthosis nigricans (dark skin patches) since puberty. So, we know I have been insulin resistant for some time now.

Currently, I'm a T2 diabetic (A1c 6.5%)and having horribly heavy, painful periods w/clotting. My GP nor my OB/GYN seem too concerned. I asked for a glucometer and put myself on a low carb diet. Neither of my doctors want to put me on metformin or any other medication. They don't feel it will do anything and has more cons than pros.

Can I lose without medication? My blood sugar has been under control but, I have been reading that my insulin could be high? So, if that were the case could I lose weight through LCing and exercise?

Thank you,
~Daniele
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 09:48

Plan: whatever works!!!
Stats: 210.5/203.9/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Yeah, I got some
Progress: 11%

I would say so. My mom is type 2 and she's not on meds. She has no problem losing as long as she sticks to plan.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansonya
I would say so. My mom is type 2 and she's not on meds. She has no problem losing as long as she sticks to plan.

Is she insulin resistant? You can be T2 diabetic and not Insulin resistant.

~Danielle
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 13:13

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Yes you defintely can lose weight. Check out the Bernstein thread...there are a lot of diabetics on here who use that program... http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

TJ
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 13:36

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I'm type 2 with PCOS. Atkins worked like a charm. Menses regulated after 6 weeks on LC. I've lost a bunch.
Good luck to you.
Barb
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 14:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Yes you defintely can lose weight. Check out the Bernstein thread...there are a lot of diabetics on here who use that program... http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

TJ

Thank you for the information.

I have read Dr. Bernstein's book. However, he points out in the PCOS section, of his book, that many women with PCOS (insulin resistance) often don't lose weight despite a very low carb diet. I'm assuming it's because you can get your blood sugars to normal levels but, you will still have raised insulin levels.

I was hoping I could find some women here who despite having insulin resistance have lost weight using a low carb diet only and no medications.

~Danielle
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaromom
I'm type 2 with PCOS. Atkins worked like a charm. Menses regulated after 6 weeks on LC. I've lost a bunch.
Good luck to you.
Barb

Barb,

May I ask if you are on medication for your PCOS/Insulin Resistance?

Were you successful at losing weight without the use of medication?

I'm asking because my doctors don't seem to want to put me on metformin or any medications and I'm wondering if I'm capable of losing weight with a low carb diet only despite higher insulin levels. I seem to be successful at keeping my blood sugars down but, I have never even had my insulin levels tested.

Thank you,
~Danielle
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 13:27

Plan: m&e
Stats: 172/156/135 Female 5'5
BF:burn it off, baby!
Progress: 43%

I'm insulin resistant w/pcos. I was on glucophage and was able to lose only 10 pounds. I felt horrible on it and couldn't stick to a low carb diet, it only made me feel more sick. In a very short time, I gained the weight back. I got off the meds. I researched pcos and learned about the 0 carb diet (I eat only meat & eggs), exercise, and the weight started coming off. Very slowly, but it was finally coming off. And without the meds! It will be 2 years on October of this year that I'm on the meat & egg diet and this is how I'm eating for the rest of my life. I've lost 28 lbs and I've never felt healthier. Dr. Atkins mentions in his book that he had to put his severly insulin resistant patients on a 0 carb diet. That was the only way they could lose weight. Anyway, yes you can lose weight without meds but you have to go really low on the carbs.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 14:26

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantEven
Barb,

May I ask if you are on medication for your PCOS/Insulin Resistance?

Were you successful at losing weight without the use of medication?

I'm asking because my doctors don't seem to want to put me on metformin or any medications and I'm wondering if I'm capable of losing weight with a low carb diet only despite higher insulin levels. I seem to be successful at keeping my blood sugars down but, I have never even had my insulin levels tested.

Thank you,
~Danielle

I was on metformin then my doc took me off. If you follow lc you can lose weight. Good luck.
Barb
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 14:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/162.5/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:way to much!!
Progress: 5%

this is for Spacedoll, I would love to do the meat and eggs only but I also have a hypothyroid.....well my q is how in the world do u stay regular??????? I have to eat salads which ups my carbs, what works for u??? I know spinach works, but I have to eat it for about a week bf it kicks in, and with my thyroid I am not suppose to eat it that frequently.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 17:36
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

I have PCOS and hypothyroid, and Atkins didn't work for me, even trying "K.I.S.S." and Keckwick didn't work. I think that my thyroid problem lies largely in the area of converting the T4 hormone to T3, and that is made worse by very low carb (conversion happens mostly in the liver, and if the liver is low in glycogen it stops converting).
So I'm doing a more moderate carb diet, and very long and slow exercise (walking on a treadmill slowly while I work all day - I work from home on a laptop). Right now this seems to be working for me when very few things do! So if going very low carb doesn't work for you, perhaps you should then try something like what I'm doing.

Exercise really helps combat insulin resistance, and I'm thinking it takes a lot of exercise for some of us. Long and slow exercise, hours every day, seems to really be good for me.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 07:19

Plan: m&e
Stats: 172/156/135 Female 5'5
BF:burn it off, baby!
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbethin
this is for Spacedoll, I would love to do the meat and eggs only but I also have a hypothyroid.....well my q is how in the world do u stay regular??????? I have to eat salads which ups my carbs, what works for u??? I know spinach works, but I have to eat it for about a week bf it kicks in, and with my thyroid I am not suppose to eat it that frequently.

The weird thing is, on the meat & egg diet I'm so regular. When I was on just low carb, not so much. Some people find that the fat on the meat & eggs is enough to keep them regular (I cook with coconut oil). Some people need to take something else like magnesium or flax oil. Don't know if you're a coffee drinker but I think it helps people to stay regular. Have you been to the meat & egg thread? If not, here it is:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...13&page=1&pp=15 . Loads of info there. Hope this helps!