Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 12:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%
Smile Irregular Heart Beat and Arrthymias on the LC Diet

Irregular Heart Beat and Arrthymias on the LC Diet

Heart arrthymias or an irregular heart beat can appear in people on the LC diet and is frequently seen in athletes. This may be felt while resting or near bed time as a slight flutter in the chest. The pulse rate may become irregular with slight pauses followed by a couple of closer beats. It appears less often in morning and perhaps never during exercise. I have not found good references for the cause, but below are a few suggestions for a possible cure.

Arrthymias appear to be related to the sodium - potassium ratios in the body and the nerve message system. The presence of excessive sodium in the body may be the reason. If you have these systems, try the following LC diet changes.

Avoid Sodium - Excessive sodium can easily appear in the LC diet but can be eliminted by avoiding the following foods:

Fried Pork Rinds.
Prepared Meats such as lunch meat, sausage, hot dogs. etc.
Most Cheese.
Salt which is sodium chloride.

Add Potassium - Increasing the potassium in the diet causes the body to flush out the excess sodium. The best source is Morton's Salt Substitute which is potassium chloride. Use as a substitute for normal table salt. It does have a different taste so don't expect it to taste the same.

Pick low-sodium bacon or avoid completely.

Pick salt free cheese. I have found a swiss cheese without salt.

Another major benefit is a reduction in blood pressure in those individuals tending to have above normal blood pressure. You may experience a 15 point drop.

Results should be seen within two weeks.

You can read more about the Sodium - Potassium Pump on the following page in the section titled, The Nerve Message. Scroll down the page because the links at the top menu do not work correctly.

The Nervous System

As with any heart condition seek medical assistance when appropriate.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Sat, Dec-21-02 at 12:59.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 18:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

The above may be useful information, but as a critical care nurse, I must stress, if you have any heart irregularities, chest pain or palpitations, seek medical attention before you even think about treating yourself.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 19:48

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
if you have any heart irregularities, chest pain or palpitations, seek medical attention before you even think about treating yourself.

Can't be said often enough!

As for the potassium, please be careful! A little bit probably won't hurt, I've heard limit the salt substitute to 1/4 tsp/day, especially if you're drinking a lot of water. But too much potassium can also lead to arrhythmias!

If you increase your potassium and still think it's low (muscle weakness, cramps, etc) PLEASE contact your doc before increasing it more!

Cindy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-21-02, 20:00

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Wise advice, Rosebud!

I'd also like to say that if you are taking any medication for blood pressure, always check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking a potassium supplement or using a salt substitute. There are some medications for blood pressure that should never be mixed with potassium supplements as they can lead to dangerously high levels of potassium in the blood that could trigger a very dangerous heart dysrhythmia.
Heart symptoms (pain, palpitations, chest pressure combined with dizziness or sweating) should never be ignored or self-medicated. Always check with your doctor if you are experiencing any symptoms that could be heart related or head directly to your closest emergency room or call for emergency assistance if they are severe.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 01:22

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

I tend to have a 'normal' irregular heartbeat anyway (doc is aware--my heart puts in an 'extra' beat when I inhale) but I have had occasional problems with missed heartbeats. I don't have any concern about the occasional one or two but sometimes if I start getting quite a few (sort of like hiccups) I find that what I need is magnesium, not potassium. I take a chelated magnesium and I find that taking about 1200mg (equivalent) will stop the skipped beats within about 30 minutes. I probably should take more magnesium (and other supplements) more often, but pills tend to make me gag so I don't take supplements regularly. I've recently found a nice liquid supplement that is all natural (organic) and while it doesn't taste particularly good it is tolerable. Being diabetic it's hard to find a liquid supplement that doesn't interfere with my sugars.