Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-11, 15:39

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%
Default How much weight did you gain in pregnancy while not overeating?

I'm curious particularly for those who have difficult metabolisms, frequent stalls, hard time losing despite sticking to a diet with exercise during normal times ... when you got pregnant, how much weight did you gain while eating appropriately for your size and condition - how much of it was 'healthy' weight vs. that you just ballooned...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 04:18

Plan: trial and error...
Stats: 129/121/110 Female 150 cms
BF:
Progress:

I weighed 50kg when I fell pregnant with my first (110lbs), which is the weight I would like to get back down to. The day before my waters went (35wks) I weighed 76kg, 3 days after giving birth 65kg. My eating during this time was ok, fairly sensible.
When I fell pregnant with my second I weighed 56kg, the moening before I gave birth 79kg, and a couple of days after 63kg. 2nd was a huge baby and I carried a lot of water and went 2 weeks over. I ballooned, but because I ate sensibly for that pregnancy very little weight stuck - but lots of water retention.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 06:37

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

This is how I gained weight during pregnancy:

4 Weeks (Weight=151.5)
6 Weeks (Weight=152)
8 Weeks (Weight=153)
10 Weeks (Weight=152)
15 Weeks (Weight = 158 lbs)
17 Weeks (Weight = 159 lbs)
19 Weeks (Weight = 163 lbs)
22 Weeks (Weight = 164 lbs)
24 Weeks (Weight = 166 lbs)
26 Weeks (Weight = 166 lbs)
27/almost 28 Weeks (Weight = 168)
30 Weeks (Weight = 174!!! Holy gain this week Batman!)
31 Weeks (Weight=176)
32 Weeks (Weight=176)
34 Weeks (Weight=176.5)
36 Weeks (Weight=180)
37 Weeks (Weight = 183)
38 Weeks (Weight=184)
39 Weeks (Weight = 185)
40 Weeks (Weight = 186)
41 Weeks 1 Day (Weight = 189) The day I went into labor!

3 Days post-partum (Weight = 179)

I still can't believe I kept track of all that. hahaha. Anyway, I did great throughout most of my pregnancy and stayed low carb (not crazy low carb - like 50-75 net most days with maybe one day of 100 net). I had a big jump at 30 weeks that I really couldn't explain. I was still eating great and hadn't pigged out or anything, so it was just my body doing whatever... Now when I hit 35 weeks or so is when I got REALLY uncomfortable and it was hot and I just started eating a lot more. It was seriously the only thing that brought me any comfort. lol. So that's when I gained a bit. I still stayed in a good range for weight gain, but if I hadn't had a good month and a half of eating a lot (still ate pretty healthy, just a lot) I would've gained quite a bit less.

Hope that helps!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-25-11, 08:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

With my first I started at 148 Lbs and was 195 Lbs at the time of delivery, so almost 50Lbs

With my current pregnancy I started at 145 Lbs and weight 180 Lbs in week 32. However, my weight gain is tracking the exact same way this time, even with LC this time around. What killed me in both was the first 16 weeks - I was so sick I had to eat all the time to avoid throwing up, so I balloned early.

The good news was that I did get back down between pregnancy w LC and lots of running. It took about 9 months. I guess where I"m going with this is that if the baby takes control and you gain more than you want, you can always clean it up afterwards.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-11, 07:26

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

With my 1st 4 pregnancies, I ate whatever I wanted, whenver I wanted. Needless to say, I always gained 45 - 50 pounds with each one. With my last pregnancy, I tried to eat very healthy, lower carb. Just like LC-Laur, I kinda "lost" it in the end and ate whatever just to get thru. lol I ended up gaining 45 pounds. Not much different.

I am currently 11 wks, 5 days pregnant and have gained 2 pounds. Normally, I woulda already gained 7, so I'm doing pretty good so far. LOL The only big difference is that instead of eating 3 big meals and snacks in between, I am eating something every 2 hours or so. It works for me.

I would like to keep my weight under control because I tend to retain water after delivery. I look like I gained weight instead of just having a baby. KWIM?? I've read that keeping carbs under control, especially in the last few months, really helps keep water retention down. Also, once my milk comes in, I NEVER lose a pound 'til I'm done BF'ing. Stinks, but that's how my body works. So, I really don't wanna have to stay 40 pounds up for a year or so, if I can help it. LOL
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-28-11, 08:28

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I've never really noticed much of a stall, but I tend to lose very slowly, averaging a 1.5 - 2 pound loss a month. When I got pregnant I'd been LC'ing 7 months. Over the course of my pregnancy I ate a little more than my usual carb level, staying at 30 grams or less most days. I exercised very little save for walking my dog.

Up till delivery my total weight gain was 12 pounds, and I didn't start gaining until 1/2 way through the 2nd trimester. I did not have morning sickness, either. Baby was 8 lbs 1 oz and a full 2 weeks and 2 days late. I was holding a lot more water than I would have expected, especially with taking Mg soaks a few times a week. The first 25 - 30 pounds flew off really fast. Although not noticeable I figure I must have maintained my average 2 lb monthly loss throughout the pregnancy for that to have happened like that. Looking at the total time I've been LC'ing and my current weight, it's still an average little-less-than-2 lbs a month.

Last edited by mfish : Thu, Jul-28-11 at 08:36.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-30-11, 15:23
Registered Member

Stats: 221.6/213.4/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 11%

I gained 19 lbs, but i was already pretty overweight. I didn't watch what I ate closely at all, even though my dr was explicit that she didn't want me to gain more than 20 lbs. It's like being pregnant revved up my metabolism or something. I ate healthy, whole foods, but not low carb. I started at 222 lbs (I'm 5'9") and gave birth at 241. I dropped that weight plus 30 in no time but I breastfed full-time until he was 6 mo, which really made the difference. Unfortunately, even though I breastfed until he was 2, the weight started coming back on when he started to nurse less and I didn't do anything to stop it. So, I ended up right back where I started and it's going really slowly to get it off. Ugh.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-11, 03:47

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

I am at the 11th week and lost 5 pounds actually. Not dieting, moderate low carb, good breakfast, lunch, light dinner and nut snacks in between.

Dont have intention to gain too much weight nor feed my tiny baby with junk staff, so am watching closely what I put in my mouth
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-11, 21:13

Stats: 203/186/148 Female 164 cm
BF:
Progress: 31%

I was 155 lbs when I got pregnant. I had started eating whatever I wanted so I went up from my 148 lbs I reached on Atkins.

Two days before my c-section, at 38 weeks, I was 195 lbs. EEK!

I had been put on bedrest a few times and was not allowed to exercise much, so I know this is why I gained so much.

Three days pp, I weighed 179lbs. Gotta love that kind of weight loss. :P

I am still hovered about the same. Yesterday, at 11 weeks pp, I weighed 176lbs, so I have decided it is low carb for me. (at least I am not gaining)
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-11, 12:39
Registered Member

Stats: 295/196.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I gained around 35 lbs with DS. One week after birth I weighed 5 lbs less then when I started. I wasn't always a good girl either. Would have helped if I were though! I wouldn't worry so much about weight gain. Provided you are eating a majority of healthy meals and snacks and getting modertate exercise. Doctors today are obsessed with weight gain during pregnancy. Eating not enough can be worse than eating too much during pregnancy.