Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/138/120
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Thyroid

Thanks to all the advice here and I've been looking into the thyroid question. I have "ALL" the signs of an underactive thyroid eventhough the blood test continually comes back negative.

Suggestions as to what to do? I've thought of:
1. Getting a referral to an endocrinologist
2. Going to see a holistic doctor.

Do any of you know of any online places to go ask questions?

The help I've received so far as been great, even if I haven't lost an ounce.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 17:22

Plan: FatLoCity
Stats: 85/80/60
BF:
Progress: 20%

hi

i have a condition called Systemic Lupus

that is when your body attacks its own healthy organs

mine attacks my thyroid, this is called Hashimotos Thyroiditis, the symptoms for thyroid disease can also be similar or the same as the symptoms for other conditions.

are you losing hair and getting horrible pains which can best be described as growing pains( it feels like the muscles are stretching)

you really need to see a doctor asap

it took along time for me to get a correct diagnosis. If you do have a thyroid disfunction you will feel so much better on the correct meds. I lost about 6 kg when i first went on them but that is unusual for most people. My aunt has it also and she lost a lot of weight but put it back on within 3 months as her body became used to the medication. Her other symptoms did clear up though.

i was told that my thyroid function was sluggish but not enough to do anything about. I went to another doctor who did more tests and i finally got a correct diagnosis. Lupus runs in my family but my aunt and i are the first to have it attack the thyroid.

You need to get a thorough check up to find out what is going wrong. Thyroid problems are not just about weight loss so i wouldnt expect miracles in that department, but you will feel heaps better in other areas if you do end up having to take the Thoroxine.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 19:39

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Torontogal,

If Sammyjam's solution turns out not to be the correct one, here's something else to think about.

My wife was having some very uncomfortable sensations around her thyroid gland, especially when lying down. It felt as if she was being slowly choked, and she started to develop what looked like a goitre. She went to the Doctor, who ran the usual blood test, and this came back negative. In spite of that the pains grew more intense and and more constant, so she insisted on being referred. This process took her from one reluctant and disbelieving doctor to another, until she could barely speak or breathe. Eventually, faced with a looming crisis, they stuck a long needle straight into the now very enlarged gland, and took a sample of tissue. It turned out that she had large polyps growing on the side of her thyroid gland, getting bigger all the time.

There are two morals to this story. Firstly, standard thyroid blood tests do not reveal everything which can have an impact on the thyroid gland and its normal functioning. And secondly, if you have a reason to suspect that something is amiss with your thyroid gland, persist with doctors who are often not very keen to follow it up without a positive blood test.

Andy

Last edited by Andy Davies : Mon, Dec-03-01 at 19:46.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 19:46

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Toronogal

Hi, I had the same thing happen to me. They finally did an ultrasound and found a nodule on my thyroid which led me to an endocrinologist. He prescribed medication and all my symptoms disappeared. He said that this was not uncommon and some people are not well unless they are at the high end of normal.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 04:30

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

There is a really good thyroid site on www.about.com. Any doctor, it doesn't have to be an endocrinologist can order a thyroid profile test for you. If you suspect you are having problems, you need to get the test ASAP.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 06:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/138/120
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Thanks

I'll start checking it out as soon as I get my kids to school and myself to work. Whatever I do, my weight just goes up and up. I'm too depressed (ok .. sad) to post it here.

SIGH!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 17:39

Plan: FatLoCity
Stats: 85/80/60
BF:
Progress: 20%

i really feel for you

i was 48kg until i was 24yrs old. I had 2 children and actually got skinner after the second one! I think the thyroid problem started after i stopped breast feeding. I am sure i had Lupus since i was a child but it was not affecting my thyroid. I put on 42kg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes it seems incredible but i did double my body weight. It took about 5 years but i just kept getting bigger and bigger. As i was very thin to start with nobody noticed much until i was about 65kg, but they all said i looked healthier. But i kept going and at 80 kg i was definatly fat.

At my pinnicle of hugeness i was 89kg!! i have a small frame and am 5ft 5. I was so miserable. I lost 6 kg when i started taking the thoroxine, but i did gain some back. I have been l/c'ing for 3 months and am down 4kg (i think that i am about 80kg now) but my shape has changed alot.

i absolutly have to excercize or i stay the same even though i am
very strict on the amount of carbs i am eating.

i will stay on induction until i am 75 kg. It seems like an impossible goal but after reading everyones success stories i know i can do it. So can you.

Get your thyroid checked and dont let the doctors make you feel bad. Did you know that low Thyroid levels cause depression?
I always eat when i am depressed so i had it bad from all angles. No metabolism and always hungry and tired(another symtom of low thyroid) What a combination. Let us know how you get on.

Good luck
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 19:21

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Sammiejam,

I would just like to cut in here and pay tribute to you. You have endured some horrible times, and come through them all with inspiration for all to admire and copy. Thanks, and congratulations.

Andy
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 22:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/150/125
BF:
Progress:

I found that on About.com there are many links and forums about thryoid disease... even a forum specific for those trying to lose weight with thryoid disease. That is actually where I got my start (and ideas) for a LC WOL.

Also, in the December issue of Self magazine, there is a REALLY GREAT article called, "Can you really change your metabolism?" In a nutshell, a woman decided to quit letting her thryoid rule her weight problem. She went to a doc in Chicago. First change they made (besides medicine) was getting on a weight training circuit and start moving (10,000 steps a day), as well as a nutrition program. After a short period of time, she & her doc found that her metabolism hadn't changed, however, she had lost 10 pounds. Long story short, don't rely only on medicine to help level your metabolism - it needs help!

I have hypothyroidism, which example my spare tire around my waste - yuck! But even relying on my Sythroid to level out my metabolism - exercise every day and LC diet is the only thing that has helped me to drop weight so quickly - 12 pounds during Induction...

Best wishes,
Teresa
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 23:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

This the About.com link to their thyroid site:

http://thyroid.about.com/mbody.htm

Wa'il