Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 19:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default What's on your COSTCO shopping list?

I live way up north in Manitoba and only get to do a major shop for groceries a few times per year. I am going to Winnipeg next week and I'm trying to prepare for all the running around and shopping that I'm going to do. I love Costco, because I can buy in bulk and that's what I need for up there. Any suggestions about Costco must have's on other low carber lists?

I am already planning to get some frozen shrimp, atlantic salmon and those 2kg packs of hot wings that are low carb. So besides the basic meat section, any Costco low carb goodies that you all always pick up or keep on your list? Very interested in getting some new ideas, and unfortunately am always rushing around when I get a chance to go there.

Thanks in advance,

Mari
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 20:37

Plan: Atkins May 10 2003
Stats: 135/120/120 Female 5 Feet 5 Inchs
BF:
Progress: 100%

At Costco...I always get my Whey protein , it has only one carb per servings.....I also get my cheese and slice cheese (for quick cheese cracker)...My Olive oil....If I think of anything else, I will get back to you....

Julie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 20:56

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:

Costco just recently started carrying lc products - shakes, and the new Oroweat lc bread which I find tastier than normal lc bread since it is made primarily with wheat flour instead of gluten (still only 6 carbs too!). The bread is in packs of 2 loafs for $3.98 here, so you can freeze one while you eat the other.

As for regular food, I also buy my cheese there, as well as eggs, pepperoni, avocados, bulk packs of meat (mostly chuck roast - Costco has the BEST chuck that makes the most tender pot roast... mmmmmm), tuna, peanut butter, mayo and other condiments, and nuts. Also, if you are in OWL and eating fruit, I like to get their big bags of frozen mixed berries. I use them with a little vanilla Soy Slender to make smoothies. Mm Mm good

Happy shopping!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 21:05
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

I haven't seen any low carb products at my Costco but I do get cheese sticks, peanuts, spinach, broccoli, bacon, eggs, red yellow green peppers, Chicken wings, Chicken tenders, tuna, philly cream cheese in one ounce packages. Thats about all I can think of right now.

Gabrielle
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 22:40

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

I don't have a Cosco but I do have a Sam's with many of the same type of items. In addition to the bulk cheeses (which freeze well), pistachios, and frozen chicken breasts/ fish, I found a frozen shrimp that is called "Big Shrimp". It is delicious. The big shrimp is butterflied larg shrimp already seasoned in a butter garlic sauce. You just pop the frozen shrimp on the bbq for a quick and delicious entree. And best of all...NO carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 07:08
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

Wendy you might want to check fitday for carbs in shrimp, I was suprized that they do have carbs!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 07:42

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I also shop at Costco here in the UK - obviously some products etc will be different, but my favourite buy from Costco is the Chicken Caesar sandwich filling - chicken and bacon with spring onions in a caesar mayonnaise dressing at 0.4g ecc per 100g. They also do a Louisiana Tuna Melt filler, which is delicious as well.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 08:20

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Oh boy! My favorite place! Let's see, I'll mentally walk through the isles . . . .

frozen chicken breasts
frozen burgers
fresh beef, usually flank steak or stew meat
pork chops
scallops (they are HUGE!)
asparagus
portabello mushrooms
onions
salad lettuce
green peppers
frozen broccoli
cheese and more cheese
5 lb bag of pepperoni
sour cream
heavy cream
cream cheese
butter
eggs
Splenda (700 packets for $13!!! Compared to $9 for 200 at the regular store)
macadamia nuts
bottled water
vitamins/suppliments
jeans that are a size smaller that what's in my closet!

Can you tell I LOVE this place?!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 08:26

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

wow... ok i definately want one of these around here :: pouts:: ... UGH... although we do have a sams club... but its not the same!! LOL
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 08:42

Stats: 260/237/149 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Their 6lb bag of frozen strawberries are great. Sometimes we even eat them partially frozen and don't use whipped cream. I think they freeze them individually since you can take out as many as you want, not a big clump. Also butter, heavy cream, eggs, string cheese (for the kids lunch), salad mix, smoked salmon, almonds. Some people really like the already cooked bacon. Have fun, Maureen
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 17:51
Registered Member

Stats: 200/180/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

I'm definately going to have to check out that Orowheat low carb bread. What a great price! Been buying it at Trader Joes at twice the price for a very small loaf. Also, the whey protein sounds good, but I'm not sure where to look for it. Is it in the pharmacy section?

Thanks
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 18:30
Registered Member

Stats: 224/209.2/165? Female 65 inches
BF:49%/47%/20%
Progress:

what is whey protein and what do you use it for?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 22:08

Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%

Some of these suggestions are great. I'm not sure if the American and Canadian Costco stores will carry the same things...never mind the UK! But that chicken ceasar filling sounds so good!

I always have a hard time buying pepperoni... I love it, but always worry about fillers with carby bases...is there a brand name to look for?

I am also curious about the whey protein and how people use it. Just for shakes? or for cooking in general?

I'm adding to my list...thanks for your responses.

Mari
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 23:08

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I buy the Hormel pepperoni at Costco. I believe it's labled as zero carbs but has one hidden carb per serving. I'm sure it's got nitrates or whatnot too. I've been eating it EVERY morning for breakfast with cheese since I started this WOE though and no problems. Could be a YMMV thing.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 12:24

Plan: Atkins May 10 2003
Stats: 135/120/120 Female 5 Feet 5 Inchs
BF:

I have been using my whey protein vanilla in shakes but I am sure there are recipes we can use it in also...I am also in Canada and the brand I find at Costco is, R&L Health Vanilla Whey Protein .... Hope you find it, its not bad tasting compared to some of the others I have tasted and it blends well (no lumps)......Julie