Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-20, 10:22

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Great DietDoctor followup. I’ve been doing additional reading about fasting lately and essentially every fairly “mainstream” article stresses that diabetics should *never* fast. Baloney I say.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-20, 14:38

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Great DietDoctor followup. I’ve been doing additional reading about fasting lately and essentially every fairly “mainstream” article stresses that diabetics should *never* fast. Baloney I say.

They're told to eat to support the glucose-lowering meds they're taking so blood sugars don't go too low. Can become a vicious cycle.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-20, 20:03

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
They're told to eat to support the glucose-lowering meds they're taking so blood sugars don't go too low. Can become a vicious cycle.

Yes but the mainstream articles never say anything like that. No caveats like “diabetics should never fast without medical supervision if the drugs they take can cause issues when fasting”.

They just say flat-out “diabetics should never fast” without ever giving any sort of indication why they make that statement, thus many diabetics miss out on a wonderful opportunity to get better and improve their conditions.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 06:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Bet the Ethiopian runners have been on board for a few hundred years....
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 06:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Yes but the mainstream articles never say anything like that. No caveats like “diabetics should never fast without medical supervision if the drugs they take can cause issues when fasting”.

They just say flat-out “diabetics should never fast” without ever giving any sort of indication why they make that statement, thus many diabetics miss out on a wonderful opportunity to get better and improve their conditions.

I met a marathoner buying my potatoes at a farm stand that must eat during her run as she suffers from hypoglycemia. She wasn't interested in keto "because she suffers from hypoglycemia". She repeated this two times, like a rehearsed statement about a disease condition. The ignorance on how the body adapts to energy sources is appalling. 😬
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 07:11

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I'm guessing the doctors just tell all diabetics not to fast in order to cover for themselves that they don't inadvertently harm someone who does something unwise if the doctor made room for exceptions, as in better safe than sorry/abundance of caution/don't get sued etc. And some doctors believing the advice not to fast because that's all they've heard. I used to have hypoglycemia, was told to skip even my monthly religious/spiritual fast day, eat lots of times throughout the day and so on. Definite low blood sugar symptoms if I didn't. Now with very low carb and body relying on fat for its fuel I do my monthly spiritual fast and skip meals whenever desired with no problem beyond a grumbling GI because it enjoys being put to use. With on-board fat for fuel it's not possible to run out of energy in that amount of time. Good riddance to the sugar rollercoaster, having to tote carbohydrate snacks, etc. Also learned over the years my hypoglycemia as a younger person was a warning sign for future T2 diabetes. Dietary changes are keeping that under control, too.

Last edited by Zei : Tue, Oct-13-20 at 07:18.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 07:29

BF:

My type 1 friend has packed on extra poundage during the ten years Ive known her. She has no interest in looking at food. Just complete focus on managing blood sugars and insulin.

She has a continuous pump.....

Great potential to change but.....nope.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-20, 10:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

It boils down to the fact that high blood sugar won't get you sued, because it kills so slowly.

Low blood sugar can kill swiftly. And get you sued.

And that is how all the advice is crafted.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Oct-20-20, 12:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Interview with Dr Ian Lake about the run, and blood glucose management:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/diet-doc...-57-dr-ian-lake