Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 19:22

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Hopeless

I probably sound dramatic, but I guess we all do at one time or another....
I am now back at my highest weight of 180. I need to get away from carbs, no question. I was on a low-carb plan 10 years ago, and I never felt better in my life!! I've read Atkins before, but I've heard negative things...but you all seem so positive!
I am willing to do anything. I want to be healthy and only have a couple of different sizes in my closet instead of eight or ten. I am not living now. As my weight went up, everything about my life stopped except work.
Could someone please please please give me some idea about how to start while I find my Atkins book again...?
I am a huge isolator and I literally have no friends and no support from anyone who understands this...I would love to feel hugged and supported....
Hope to hear from you soon...
MA
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 19:37
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard melissaann, glad you found us!

I know all the negative arguments against low-carb, we actually list them all in our "Studies" section, where we list all reasearch and articles for and against low-carb. Check them out. For a quick information while you look for your old book , check the "Tips" section for useful information. Both sections are available from the menu above.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 19:38

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

MA, welcome aboard

1) To start with, take your measurements and weight.
2) Lay in a good supply of vitamin/mineral supplements
3) No bread, pasta, rice, crackers, starchy veggies (corn, potatoes)
4) Beware of luncheon type meats (they have carbs), the so called "low carb" snack bars (no such thing, they have hidden carbs so stay away from them)
5) Eat lots of: chicken, beef, pork, fish, veal, hard type cheeses, green salads. Limit mushrooms, onions, garlic, tomatoes. Cauliflower, brocolli, spinach, wax beans are good for you. EAT EAT EAT.
6) Drink lots and lots of water or sugar free drinks. (caffine can have an effect on you losing weight, so if you don't see any loss and drinking caffine type drinks, can them.) Coffee and tea do have carbs and can add up during the day.

It takes 2 days for your body to burn off the last of it's glucose supply. During this time frame you may experience hunger pains so make sure you arm yourself with "safe" snacks.

This should at least help you get started until you find your book. Good luck and again welcome
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 19:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi melissaann

Yer days of isolation are over, you've found lots of friendly support here.. .. Welcome aboard, and have fun exploring the whole website. The others have given good advice. Meantime, you might be able to borrow a copy of Atkins latest New Diet Revolution (it was updated in 1999) from your local library. Check out also the Protein Power plan by the Drs. Eades. You may not want to follow that program, but the information on lowcarbing, health, and the importance for eating adequate protein and GOOD fats is really helpful.

Take care, and I look forward to reading more posts from you

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 20:03

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

Melissaann-
Welcome!!! You've definitely come to the right place! The people here are absolutely wonderful! I found a few low-carb sites when I first started getting interested in this type of thing and I got some negative responses from other low-carbers because I was doing a CKD (a version of low-carbing which allows for carbing-up on the weekends). Well, I no longer post anywhere else but here because this is an amazing group of people. The support here is phenomenal no matter what type of low-carb lifestyle you lead...

I look forward to trying to help you along your low-carb journey!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 20:22
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by fern2340
I got some negative responses from other low-carbers because I was doing a CKD (a version of low-carbing which allows for carbing-up on the weekends).

Fern, this should surprise me, as CKD is well known in the low-carb community. I say should surprise me, but it doesn't Even among the 2 most popular LC plans, you can detect some rivalry which I can't find any scientific bases for, except commercial interests by the relavent organizations. This is one of the reasons our site has no commitment to any particular plan, all LC plans are welcome.

Well, you showed them alright, all they need to do is look at your before and after pics!

Wa'il
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 20:39

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

Wa'il.....
Yep, I was kind of angry when people on the other sites were not very supportive.... I think I only posted here once to get the feel but then I realized how nice everyone was (AND STILL IS, OF COURSE!) This site is wonderfully helpful....

Thanks for all your support!!

#8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 22:29

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default Hello!

Hi Melissa!

Yes, this group is a great group of people ... both in support and in knowledge. It is rare to find BOTH in one group, but they have done it here.

While you find your copy of Atkins, feel frr to ask any questions that you might have (although you will probably find them answered elsewhere on the site/forums).

As for me, you can always find me hanging out in the exercise section, as well as the CKD thread (thanks Wa'il!). Every once in a while I come out and poke around out here, but usually it's just to chase Fern around.

Welcome to the group. You're one of us now.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 23:03
Forum Founder

You're welcome Dan, we'll open forums whenever members ask for them or when there's a need. Thanks to contributing members like you who are willing to share their information with others.

Wa'il
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-01, 17:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

melissaann, i hear your isolation. there's also nothing like a lowcarb life to make a person feel isolated. come here whenever you feel that loneliness bug creeping up on you! we welcome you with open arms! tell us your successes and your failures, your dreams and your fears. we've, one or another of us, have all been through them before. don't be afraid of atkins honey!! most of us here are doing atkin with great results. the important thing, though is that every one on atkins has great blood level tests when they have their check-ups. reread the book and like doreen says, read protein power as well. both are available at your library. good luck melissaann! we're here for you!