Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 17:20

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%
Default paleo diary-keepers?

hi folks. I'm posting here and in the candida forum, trying to find someone who keeps a food diary but eats dairy free (or paleo or anti-candida). I need to steal menu deas! Please let me know if you do keep a diary here so I can browse it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 13:42

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
The reason I got into this diet was because I don't have to keep a diary. I'm looking at my "diet" as a way of life. I never plan to go back to the old ways. Dairy, bread and grains...anathema!! I love the fact that I don't count carbs, or cals, or any number of other things..
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 18:33

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Captxray, the more of your posts I read, the more I think we have a lot in common! Sorry Razzle, this must be disappointing for you, who want the reverse. Can't you simply adapt other people's diets to your own by extracting the bits you don't like?

Andy
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 13:29

Hey! You want a recipe??? I made one up over the weekend...and was it great! I got a big glass bowl...oven safe...and filled it with chopped summer squash, zuccinni, spinach, four eggs (beaten), celery, four small onions, five cloves of garlic, about 14 cup of extra virgin olive oil...stirred them all up in a gooey egg mess...put it in the oiled bowl, turned the oven on to 350 degrees...and layed bacon strips all over the top of it...put aluminum foil on top of the bowl...tight, and cook it for about 3 1/2 hours...what a meal!!! It was great, and I have enough for the rest of the week...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:29

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

thanks guys. i did find some menus on a paleo site so had a sense of what people did eat over a day's time.

Actually, it was easier to go paleo than I had anticipated, but over two weeks of it had no effect on anything--the scale, how I felt, nada. I'm very blonde, which tends to predict a lack of lactose intolerance, so I've gone back to occasional cheese again.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:42

I said this on another thread. Give it at least 90 days before you give up on the entire paleo thing. You have to give your body time to adjust to a new (old) way of eating. It took me almost four weeks before I lost a pound. 31 pounds as of today and I've been on it for four and half months. Don't give in to dairy, if you can help it...If you are going paleo, dairy isn't part of it...nobody milked bison, or mastodons, as far as we can tell. If you choose to go along with the whole paleo idea, then you will find out how bad dairy is...lots of stuff we, as humans aren't supposed to put in our systems.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 21:31

BF:
Default Not sure about the dairy question

Hi, Captxray,

Like you, I do not drink cows' milk. But I do consume other dairy products. I do eat cheese and butter, and occasionally cream (double or whipping). As I see it, the real enemy is refined carbohydrates and sugar, not cheese and cream. One of the authors whose work I follow would not have allowed these things, but the other does. I like them, and see no harmful effects from using them, except that you have to watch and control quantities. I think you have to be bold enough to vary dietary regimes to suit your own tastes and needs.

Andy
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 21:52

Food for thought, Andy. Ha! Ha! However, I've been reading up on dairy and have found that it really is bad for us in its many manifestations...but whatever turns your merry-go-round. For me, notice, I said, "ME."...I've decided to be a real hunter and gatherer...at the supermarket. However, I don't go naked with my sharp stick...UGH! I just had a mental picture of that one. I would deserve to be arrested if I did that! Even beef isn't that great for us, because feed lot cattle are fed that really bad..bad..bad...dare I say it?...CORN!!! AWK! Full of lectins that can kill us!!! However, I just don't have time to go out and spear a deer or a moose or a caribou...so, I have made adjustments, too. My brother is on Atkins and eats cheese and is doing great. Just not for me. We all need to find our "happy medium" and follow our star. Cheese isn't nearly as bad as...I have a hard time saying the word...GRAINS!!!! Have you seen the sludge they create in the bowels? Peanuts, too. Of course, peanuts aren't really nuts, they are members of the dreaded BEAN family...loads of lectins there, too.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 18:00

BF:

Hi Captxray,

Interesting, I didn't realise that peanuts were beans...that explains a lot - I find peanuts rather addictive, and they give rise to wind (or "gas" as you call it) and can be laxative in excess.

I agree with your other conclusion: we all find our own final combination by a mixture of trial and error, other people's experiences, and what we read. No two people are exactly alike, and neither are their exact needs identical. And that is the great beauty of this forum - we learn and teach, we listen and speak, and gradually we all make progress.

Best wishes,

Andy
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 19:26
Registered Member

Plan: paleo etc.
Stats: 212/199/135
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi Razzle! If you're still looking for menu ideas, i'll be happy to post a daily food journal here. Also since i love to cook and experiment with recipes and menus, i'll be happy to post some of the stuff i've come up with or found and tried.

foodie <------ you bet!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 19:29
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by captxray
Hey! You want a recipe??? I made one up over the weekend...and was it great! I got a big glass bowl...oven safe...and filled it with chopped summer squash, zuccinni, spinach, four eggs (beaten), celery, four small onions, five cloves of garlic, about 14 cup of extra virgin olive oil...stirred them all up in a gooey egg mess...put it in the oiled bowl, turned the oven on to 350 degrees...and layed bacon strips all over the top of it...put aluminum foil on top of the bowl...tight, and cook it for about 3 1/2 hours...what a meal!!! It was great, and I have enough for the rest of the week...

Hey, congratulations Captxray, you've discovered ... ta da! ... the Frittata A.K.A. "extreme omelet."
i usually bake frittata in a big cast iron skillet (be sure to put some bacon grease in the bottom first). Using a wide pan like that considerably shortens the cooking time -- usually takes only about half an hour at the most. You can "finish" it by removing the lid and broiling the frittata for a couple of minutes. Yummy stuff!

foodie

Last edited by foodie212 : Wed, Apr-03-02 at 19:47.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 17:09

Talking I've made adjustments

Hi, Foodie,
I've changed some of the original recipe since I wrote that. I now cook everything in a large pot, put in bacon, and pepperoni, stir my eggs with the olive oil until it is a slurry and put the veggies and bacon and pepperoni into the pan in layers with the egg mixture poured all over the layer. Then I put in the next layer and do the same thing. On Easter, I fed it to my daughter and her fiance and they loved it, too. It only had to cook for about 1/2 hour in the 350 degree oven, as it was already pretty well cooked when i put it in. I had no idea it was called a frittata! Imagine, ME making something that actually has a real culinary name! I have just been calling it "Ray's Healthy Pot-O-Junk." I also make a mean salad dressing that everybody has been raving over...I can't believe this one, either. I use 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil. Into that I put a 1 cup combination of finely chopped raw pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, walnuts, and sunflower seeds. I also add a tablespoon of Louisiana Hot Sauce, a tablespoon of salt, a teaspoon of black pepper, 1/4 cup of bottled chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon of onion powder, a tablespoon of dried parsley, a tablespoon of dried Italian Seasoning mix, a tablespoon of dried pesto seasoning. People are telling me I ought to bottle it and sell it. I don't know about that, but I sure like it. I pour it onto my salad made from spinach leaves, romaine lettuce, cucumber slices, and chopped scallions, sprinkled with raw pumpkin seeds, almonds, and walnuts. Sometimes, I forget to eat the rest of my meal! Meat is secondary to it! What's really surprising is I am losing weight doing this!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 19:12
Registered Member

BF:
Default Re: I've made adjustments

Quote:
Originally posted by captxray

Hi, Foodie,
I've changed some of the original recipe since I wrote that. I now cook everything in a large pot, put in bacon, and pepperoni, stir my eggs with the olive oil until it is a slurry and put the veggies and bacon and pepperoni into the pan in layers with the egg mixture poured all over the layer. Then I put in the next layer and do the same thing. On Easter, I fed it to my daughter and her fiance and they loved it, too. It only had to cook for about 1/2 hour in the 350 degree oven, as it was already pretty well cooked when i put it in. I had no idea it was called a frittata! Imagine, ME making something that actually has a real culinary name! I have just been calling it "Ray's Healthy Pot-O-Junk." I also make a mean salad dressing that everybody has been raving over...I can't believe this one, either. I use 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil. Into that I put a 1 cup combination of finely chopped raw pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, walnuts, and sunflower seeds. I also add a tablespoon of Louisiana Hot Sauce, a tablespoon of salt, a teaspoon of black pepper, 1/4 cup of bottled chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon of onion powder, a tablespoon of dried parsley, a tablespoon of dried Italian Seasoning mix, a tablespoon of dried pesto seasoning. People are telling me I ought to bottle it and sell it. I don't know about that, but I sure like it. I pour it onto my salad made from spinach leaves, romaine lettuce, cucumber slices, and chopped scallions, sprinkled with raw pumpkin seeds, almonds, and walnuts. Sometimes, I forget to eat the rest of my meal! Meat is secondary to it! What's really surprising is I am losing weight doing this!

YUM !!!! You could write a cookbook! "Ray's Healthy Pot-O-Junk" sounds so delicious and that salad dressing -- WOW -- definitely you should look into marketing that. Gourmet salad dressings are to die for. Or maybe you could sell the recipe to Paul Newman Nah, he'd just ruin it by changing the olive oil to canola oil -- i was reading labels in the grocery store a few days ago and picked up a bottle of Newman's Own Olive Oil Balsamic Vinaigrette -- guess what the main ingredient was? CANOLA OIL.

What do you call your salad dressing?

Well, anyway, it sounds like a winner, and i hope you seriously consider trying to find a bottler for it.

Have a great weekend!

foodie
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 10:28

I just had my fifty-fifth birthday celebration on the weekend...I'm now officially a senior citizen! Where did the years go? Anyway, We had 11 people over to the house and everybody brought something (potluck), but they knew that I would only eat certain foods...My wife barbecued a brisket all day long (marinated in a lemon juice concoction with spices[no sugar]), we had my salad and salad dressing (everybody took seconds, and some even took thirds!), steamed brocolli, pineapple and fresh strawberries, a lady brought the best veggie tray (asparagus, brocolli, jicama strips dipped in chili powder and lemon/lime juice, cauliflower [which I don't eat], baby carrots, celery, etc...), and some other things I could eat. They also brought a wonderful french bread (I don't eat bread), butter (I don't eat butter-dairy...ugh! Yuk! Even though I love butter), a desert I didn't eat and a rice dish I didn't touch, even though it looked quite good (I just don't eat any grains or nightshades...except a little chii powder). It was wonderful. I ate to my heart's content (all the things I can eat on my WOE), and so did everybody else (there were enough "normal foods" so that nobody felt "deprived"). Everybody commented on how "healthy" the dinner was and how much they all liked it. See? We can eat our foods and not even stand out in a crowd, if we orchestrate it properly.

As far as a name for my salad dressing (?) HMMMM...I know! "Neandernut Pot-O-Junk All Natural Healthy No Bad Stuff Dressing"
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 07:49
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Happy Birthday Ray!

Hey, Happy Birthday Ray! Wow that dinner party sounds yummy! My hubby and i are almost officially senior citizens too -- AARP has been sending us all sorts of brochures and a few days ago membership cards arrived! Does this mean i have to dye my hair blue? Does hubby have to start wearing plaid pants and take up golf?!

O please ask your wife if i may please have her recipe for that barbecued brisket with the marinade! That sounds so great!

May you both keep rollin' along for many happy -- and healthy -- years to come!

foodie