Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-19, 15:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default It's all about the mitochondria

The hottest new discoveries in nutritional science come from the mitochondria, tiny, free-floating organelles inside cells. Disease is what happens when they falter and become dysfunctional.

I've got your overarching disease process right here!

There are two main sources I have used to understand this :

Tuit Nutrition's Amy Berger did an entire series on Metabolic Theory of Cancer: Mitochondrial Dysfunction 1. It's long, but fascinating. She does her usual stellar job of explaining very complicated things in simpler, but still accurate, ways.

The other is a shorter, denser, treatment of the subject, on a new discovery I also wanted to share: Dr. Myhill of the UK has a wiki.

Sarah Myhill left the National Health Society to treat her Chronic Fatigue patients in way that will actually help them, and she's written three groundbreaking papers on Mitochondrial Dysfunction. I was thrilled to find all this fascinating and useful information on her site.

Quote:
Ketogenic diet - a connection between mitochondria and diet

Ketosis is an often misunderstood subject. Its presence is thought to be equal to starvation or a warning sign of something going wrong in your metabolism. But nothing could be farther from the truth, except if you are an ill-treated type 1 diabetic person. Ketones – contrary to popular belief and myth – are a much needed and essential healing energy source in our cells that come from the normal metabolism of fat.

It is not only used as a healthy lifestyle, it is also used for conditions such as infantile spasms, epilepsy, autism, brain tumors, Alzheimer’s disease, Lou Gehrig’s disease, depression, stroke, head trauma, Parkinson’s disease, migraine, sleep disorders, schizophrenia, anxiety, ADHD, irritability, polycystic ovarian disease, irritable bowel syndrome, gastroesophageal reflux, obesity, cardiovascular disease, acne, type 2 diabetes, tremors, respiratory failure and virtually every neurological problem but also cancer, and conditions where tissues need to recover after a loss of oxygen.

The ketogenic diet acts on multiple levels at once, something that no drug has been able to mimic. This is because mitochondria are specifically designed to use fat for energy. When our mitochondria use fat as an energetic source, its toxic load is decreased, the expression of energy producing genes are increased, its energetic output is increased, and the load of inflammatory energetic-end-products is decreased.

The key of these miraculous healing effects relies on the fact that fat metabolism and its generation of ketone bodies (beta-hydroxybutyrate and acetoacetate) by the liver can only occur within the mitochondrion, leaving chemicals within the cell but outside the mitochondria readily available to stimulate powerful anti-inflammatory antioxidants. The status of our mitochondria is the ultimate key for optimal health and while it is true that some of us might need extra support in the form of nutritional supplementation to heal these much needed energy factories, the diet still remains the ultimate key for a proper balance.

What is amazing is that it seems this is the path to helping with so many different kinds of chronic disease.

A little over one month since starting and my sleep and symptoms have improved. I still have some unique challenges, but if ketosis if what my body needs, I will eat all the chuck roast I can manage.

And... loving it.
Sponsored Links