Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#241   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-19, 12:20

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I'll post this here also... cheese and dental:

https://i.imgur.com/n3zG95t.jpg

Very interesting, thanks for posting this!
Sponsored Links
  #242   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-19, 12:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Using many sources for K2 is a good thing. Reading an NIH article which I,ll link when at laptop, research connects to cancer, etc, and mentions the M variations with the higher numbers as more benuficial.

The daily pills , unless a brie day, contains only M-7.

Natto .....I must order online. None available at any store locally.

I could eat the stuff no matter the taste if it means no chem, no radiation, no genetic engineered cancer treatments. That the K2 helps with a healthier vascular system including heart and gums is a plus. Ive learned to consume many new taste experiences on this quest for optimal health.
  #243   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-19, 12:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
There is, of course, always natto for Vit K. I've only eaten it once. We were guests in a Japanese home, and I believe we were offered natto for breakfast as a test of sorts. Our hosts had a sense of humor, and tried out several different, and odd, foods on us. Our sense of adventure, and pride, wouldn't let us refuse, which went over well with our hosts. I can't say that I disliked the natto; the taste was OK, but the texture was strange. With eyes shut it wasn't too bad at all. However, eyes shut, and using chopsticks doesn't work at all well :-). I would certainly eat it again, but wouldn't go searching for it. Gouda and brie are a much more comfortable choice. A capsule twice a day takes up the slack.

Good for you!!!! Bet you laugh about that breakfast now. Lol.

Natto is served for breakfast traditionally. A great start to the day. Heart and bone healthy.
  #244   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-19, 18:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I'll post this here also... cheese and dental:

https://i.imgur.com/n3zG95t.jpg

Which book was this from??? Out of curiosity.....

Yes, a benefit of a cheese board as dessert, post meals.

Interesting section on the link between pasturized cheeses and pathogens: when rule imposed, that food poisoning outbreaks occur anyway due to post pasturization contamination, that EU also has rules.
  #245   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-19, 23:19

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

On the subject of Vit K ... I was just looking through some of my saved recipes, and found one with rhubarb. In the intro to the recipe it is mentioned that rhubarb has 45% of the daily value of Vit K, as well as Vitamins C, A, some B Vits, and a number of minerals. Unfortunately I don't have the original source for this recipe, but I did do a search which seems to corroborate these statements. Although I am very fond of rhubarb I don't do much with it anymore because of the sweetening needed. But this recipe is for a form of kimchi, with no sweetener involved at all; no doubt why I saved it, though I haven't made it yet. I have rhubarb in the freezer; perhaps I'll give it a try. It might be interesting to see my Korean sister in law's response to rhubarb kimchi :-)
  #246   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 09:16

Plan: LC gut healing
Stats: 302/285/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Irrelevant
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Camembert is a lot like brie but is very hard to find in the US. Most Americans have been introduced to Brie being sold more commercially on a wide scale but not Camembert. I bet it has K-2 also.

According to this article recently published in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences Camembert has 68.1 mcg per 100 grams.

Quote:
I would like to find out what makes K-2 high in this French cheese?? but not in other cheeses......

I'm guessing that they start with milk that is already high in K-2.
  #247   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 10:18

BF:

The article i read mentions age cheeses are more potent, but very long aging doesnt increase the amount. The dry italuan types like Parmesan have the least. The higher the fat content, the more.

Gotta find and post link.
  #248   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 10:29

BF:

Good study NewRuth

Thank you!

Quote:
Total vitamin K2 was the highest in Münster (80.1 µg per 100 g), Camembert (68.1 µg per 100 g), Gamalost (54.2 µg per 100 g), Stilton (49.4 µg per 100 g), Emmenthal (43.3 µg per 100 g), Norvegia (41.5 µg per 100 g), Roquefort (38.1 µg per 100 g), and Raclette (32.3 µg per 100 g). The rest of examined cheeses comprised less than 3 µg per 100 g of vitamin K2 [14].
  #249   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 10:33

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Which book was this from??? Out of curiosity.....

Yes, a benefit of a cheese board as dessert, post meals.

Interesting section on the link between pasturized cheeses and pathogens: when rule imposed, that food poisoning outbreaks occur anyway due to post pasturization contamination, that EU also has rules.
On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen (The Science and Lore of the Kitchen #1), Harold McGee 1984 - 2004

It weighs a ton, and your library may have it.

(from the same book) more on cheese... FDA and raw milk cheese:

https://i.imgur.com/RaC4ZG0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RsYOkzD.jpg

#250   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 10:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

As it happens, I've been enjoying Münster cheese as it has always paired well in roast beef for me. Love my K!

Oh, don't put the K capsule in your mouth and wander around doing things on the way to get water to wash it down with, because it will explode in your mouth and your whole body will suddenly react like Jerry Lewis.
  #251   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 11:23

BF:

This is a more extensive list of cheeses than I've seen before. Funny that the only 2 I knew about are Brie and Havarti and both of them are not on this list of cheeses but I do like Munster much better than Havarti so that's good!

This is funny

Quote:
Oh, don't put the K capsule in your mouth and wander around doing things on the way to get water to wash it down with, because it will explode in your mouth and your whole body will suddenly react like Jerry Lewis.

#252   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-19, 22:29
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 210/191/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:38/37.2/??

This is a great thread that you started, Arielle.

I'm going to dig up my copy of the Lin book. I bought it last year after you started this thread.
  #253   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 15:46

BF:

Appt today for cleaning. VERY little tartar. Some staining, she sees this in clean eating patients. We couldnt account for this.. .

My gums didnot swell up. No bleeding. My teeth dont hurt.

The area where my gums and front teeth meet, under the tongue, had a tiny amount of tartar. Less than the last visit.

The gums are higher, and teeth look not so long in tge tooth. Hygenist said gums cant grow. Then described the gums extending their reach. So...I think my gums are coming up around the teeth more.

Baking soda, once a month flossing. Brush across, not up and down. K2 198% a day.

Slow progress.
  #254   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 16:11

BF:

S9..... what a delightful book.

Yes, in the US the Holstein-Freisan is by far the number 1 dairy cow. Some Jersey, some guernsey still exist. We need to keep a variety. We need to bring back the family cow.... pipe dreams given the push for lab made beef cells.

I often mull over what country to move to. Maybe Ireland.....if sunnier than England.
  #255   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 04:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Fantastic improvement on that dental visit!

We have a local farm with killah cheesemaking and a whole herd of Brown Swiss; my favorite cow.

A little further on is a goat farm and they are the funniest and most clever.