Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 01:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/194/165 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Best Multivitamin

Lately I have been feeling really tired. After I exercise my muscles are exhausted and I have noticed that I get charlie-horses more often than even before. I know I need to get a multivitamin, but which brand is the best? I am leaning towards GNC's mega men's since I have heard your body is actually able to absorb the vitamins, unlike similar products by other brands. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by SoCal : Sat, Feb-17-07 at 01:31.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 05:44
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

To answer your question - there is no clear leader as "the best" multivitamin. What I can do is give you several high quality brands and I suggest you print them out -- compare what each one contains -- compare the prices -- consider your own requirements.

Let's start with last first - consider your requirements.

Fair disclosure - I am of the opinion that our "health experts" have way under estimated what our body can do to repair problems if you give your body proper nutrition. Unless they can prescribe a drug or do surgery -- it is of no value. I think that our Recommended Daily Allowances (RDA) should be relabeled as Minimal Daily Allowance Or Bad Things Will Happen (MDAOBTWH) and Optimal Daily Amounts should be adopted from the Alternative health practicioners -- which is much, much higher - and more items on the list than the RDA.

More fair disclosure - and I'll try to stay away from politics -- I believe in the free market system. If the vitmains, supplements, and alternative health practices were so worthless -- that information would quickly spread and no one would spend their money on the stuff.

Sorry about the rant - but I think before you ask for someone's opinion -- you have to know where they are coming from.

If you are young, fit (proper body fat and muscular build), athletic (plenty of exercise each week), usually eat a great mixture of organic meat, fruit, and vegetables, don't smoke, don't do drugs, drink moderately, don't have any nagging health problems, don't take prescription drugs, rarely any over the counter drugs, you live and work in a sterile environment, etc. -- what the #~$% are you doing in this forum in the first place? -- I mean -- you probably have minimal supplement requirements. Let's call this person "super healthy person".

It still might be a good idea to take supplements (including plenty of fish oil) to make sure that you are getting plenty of the vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that your body needs to fight the bad things in your body.

Long gone are the days of clean air to breathe, fresh water to drink, and organic meat and veggies from good quality soil.

Look at all the medicines now that are patches or a lotion that you spread on to your skin. Your skin can absorb some amazing stuff. That is good when you are putting good things around your skin - but bad most of the time - considering our current environment.

The opposite of "super healthy person" is in really bad shape. They look like zombies, they feel like zombies, then might even wish they were zombies, and we have millions of them in the US. (NO CS carver you can not run around and cut them up like in the chainsaw movies).

What can the zombies do to improve themselves? They can adopt the lifestyle of the "super healthy people" (including low carb diet) AND take this supplement

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Synergy...-3-60-Packets-1

$280 per month. That is a lot to spend on supplements -- but how much are these people spending per month on prescription drugs, over the counter drugs, doctor visits, medical tests, and other medical supplies and costs?

I'll bet that within two months they will no longer be zombies. Within six or twelve months be off most prescription and over the counter drugs.

Yet Another fair disclosure (or the flames will be overwhelming). Some people do have real diseases / emergencies that no amount of supplements or alternative health will solve. But IMHO this is like 20% of all health care costs / problems. Type 1 diabetes is a real health problem. Type 2 diabetes is not. But even people with real diseases often improve the quality of their lives by adopting the lifestyles of the "super healthy person".

I think I have babbled long enough. Hopefully I made my point -- the unhealthier you are -- the more supplements you need. Even if you are "super healthy person" I still recommend the "optimal daily amounts" so that your body has the tools to fight and repair bad things.

I do not think that you can get optimal amounts by just eating foods. If you think that carb counting is bad -- try analyzing the nutriental content of everything you eat and comparing it against your optimal amounts.

Compare what each one contains

In this case you need to start with -- what is the optimal amount of this nutrient that I need. The best source I can think of is

http://www.worldhealth.net/p/anti-a...-reference.html

they sell this information in a book if you prefer a book for $12.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Anti-Agin...ie=UTF8&s=books

You might also try to google "optimal vitamin requirements"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...G=Google+Search

One trick that supplement manufacturers do is take a high priced supplement and throw a small and inferior form into the multivitamin - just so they can claim that their multivitamin has this vitamin!

For example CoQ10.

http://www.worldhealth.net/p/aadr-coenzyme-q-.html

says that you need 90 to 150 mg to do much good. Super healthy person can probably get by with 30mg since it is better than nothing -- but the optimal is 90 to 150 mg. If you are a zombie - then you need to probably be in the 300 mg range. So you need to determine your optimal amount.

My point is your multi-vitamin may list 100 mcg (not mg) of Coq10 -- which I would cross of the list of ingredients - because the amount is so small -- it will do nothing. Now my multi-vitamin contains 30mg of CoQ10. I would still strike that off the list of ingredients - because I think I should be up in the 90 to 150 mg range and the form in my multivitamin is not that great. However, the $280 multivitamin has 400mg of CoQ10 and it is of the best form.

To make a long story short (too late for that now - huh?) you need to determine your optimal amount and then cross off all amounts on your multivitamin that do not meet your optimal amount.

I think that if you did this for the big name brands like "one-a-day", "synergy", etc -- you would cross almost every ingredient off the list -- hence why I don't recommend them. Not even for "super healthy person".

GNC is a good high quality brand. The only knock about them is their high price. BUt I have done more research on their website lately and their prices appear to have come down. If you are comfortable with GNC -- I would think they are your best choice.

But still do your homework as described above. You may want to get their multivitamin plus one or two other supplements.

Note that I think that a high quality "mega" multivitamin AND MEGA FISH OIL are both required as a minimal for everyone. Even super healthy person - if they want to stay that way. GNC has both multis and fish oil. Get both.

I have bought from GNC before. Very professional and knowledgeable. If there is one near you -- then easy to obtain (you don't have to order on-line and wait for it to arrive).

www.VitaCost.com has great quality, research and price. Where I usually buy from.

Vitamin Shoppe are located in most cities - but I don't know much about. I was thinking that their "mega" multivitamins were not that "mega" (kind of low on the ingredients compared to some of the others) -- but if you follow these guidelines you can evaluate them for your self -- or determine what additional vitamins to buy. For example, you might say their multivitamin is only okay - but if I also buy their antioxidant complex (I assume they have one) then I'll be about right. If you are healthy -- their vitamins might be perfect for you. If you are a zombie -- then I might look elsewhere. I usually buy from Vitamin Shoppe if I run out of something and need it immediately.

www.iherb.com is good website if you know what you want. IMHO they don't help you decide what you need. I have bought some stuff from them and service has been good.

www.LEF.ORG has great quality, price and research. I usually buy my blood tests from them.

Sorry to answer your question so unclear -- but it is not a clear cut answer.

Last edited by kebaldwin : Sat, Feb-17-07 at 06:32.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 10:26

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Actually there are "best" Multis out there and they cannot be found in GNC.

Mulits from Megafoods, New Chapter and SuperNutriton are superior multis and cost alot. Supernutrition is less expensive but they have THE best Opti paks available. Jammed with vitamins and minerals, antioxidants in whole food bases at very theraputic doses.

The One True Multi is also excellent and so are some of the multis found from Spectrient.

Second tier are multis from Solaray, Natures Way, Country Life, Natures Life, Solgar, Blue Bonnet, Natural Sources

Third Tier, Hi Health ,GNC..Private label brands

Bottom of the barrel. Centrum,form Walmart and grcoery store Vitamins..Trader Joes are not that great as well.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 11:00

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Sorry,
I had m son on my lap while doing the above post.

One a days and vitamins from Walmart, Kirkland Costco, Natures Made,were deleted form my bottom of the barrel list
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 13:17

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I use the Kirkland brand multi from Costco. I think that it is more than sufficient.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 13:44

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Muti Vitamins are great as a basic program. Most people take a muti and add on with other supplements to get full-bodied nutrition because multi's usually contain unbalanced dosages.

I NO longer take a multi but instead take what I need individually. It does add up to a lot of supplements but I get to control the dosage amounts and can adjust according to my my body needs.

Example: I take 10,000- 15,000 IU of Vitamin D daily. I take it in 2,000IU each supplement. Most muti's only contain 400 Vitamin D - far from my daily needs.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 19:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

For muscle exhaustion I would take potassium and magnesium with calcium, regardless of the brand.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 19:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/194/165 Male 6 feet
BF:

Thanks for all of the info and guidance regarding multivitamins, I've learned a lot. I am going to do some homework and see which one is best for my individual needs. Thanks again and good luck with everything!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 18:06

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

Speaking of which, I ordered NSI Synergy Once A Day Multi-Vitamin Version 2 from Vitacost.com. It seems like a decent multi and I just started taking it. What does everyone think?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 05:44
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfonclaw
Speaking of which, I ordered NSI Synergy Once A Day Multi-Vitamin Version 2 from Vitacost.com. It seems like a decent multi and I just started taking it. What does everyone think?

Fair disclosure: You are asking the wrong person -- because I believe in supplements.

It is better than nothing -- probably better than the regular "one-a-day" and "centrum" brands

but not near as good as like their synergy for women for $40 per month.

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Synergy...tamin-Version-4

not 1/10 as good as their platinum for $280 per month

How much fish oil are you taking? Multi-vitamin is only part of the equation.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 07:38

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Default More than a multi

It's possible there's more going on than a multi is going to fix, unless perhaps you go for one of the very top-of-the-line brands as noted above, and I'm guessing that someone who got this far on nothing may balk at $200+/month in supplementation. (It's a creeping habit, for sure... Just legal, and way better for you than many other habits.)

Good multis will cover the basic nutritional needs. Unfortunately, some supplements are flat out bulky. It takes six pills to meet what I believe to be my calcium and magnesium needs for the day, and that's outside everything else I take.

Muscle weakness like you describe may often be related to a specific mineral deficiency, as Black noted above. These minerals may not be found in sufficient levels in a multi to fix your problems.

Quick start: Get a container of Lite Salt--any brand will do--and use it somewhat liberally on your food, certainly in place of table salt. (Ease into this--check the taste. Lite Salt is nasty at high sprinkle levels.) You may want some potassium caps, too, but they don't make them very strong and too many at a time will turn your stomach. But two or three before a workout, well-watered in, may make a big difference.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 09:57

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin
Fair disclosure: You are asking the wrong person -- because I believe in supplements.

It is better than nothing -- probably better than the regular "one-a-day" and "centrum" brands

I don't like labels that are designed to mislead the consumer. The Platimun multi has one such label. All the amounts are listed with a precision that makes the amounts appear to be larger than they are.
15,000.00 IU of vitamin A is the same as 15,000 IU. Adding the extra decimal places only serves to mislead the consumer.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 10:09

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 253/218/155 Female 69 inches
BF:D:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin

I considered the Synergy for Women (it looked pretty good) - but the 60mg of soy isoflavones really turned me off. I don’t understand why I need soy.

I’d love to take the Synergy Platinum, but I just don’t have $280 to spend a month on supplements. I would do it if I could squeeze it in my budget somehow, but I can’t. So I do the best I can.

Regarding fish oil, I take 3 grams of Neptune Krill oil a day, and am going to supplement that with some Cod Liver Oil soon. Out of all my supplements, the multivitamin was the last one I purchased.

Thanks for the response!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 10:18

Plan: 30 or less daily
Stats: 232.2/214.4/169 Female 68
BF:[url=http://www.Ti

My first choice is the Low Carb Centrum which I used to get a Wal-Mart but I cannot find them anymore! bummer
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-07, 11:02
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryfonclaw
Ibut the 60mg of soy isoflavones really turned me off. I don’t understand why I need soy.

I agree. I don't know what soy does to women -- but it is pretty ugly what it does for men.

Quote:
I just don’t have $280 to spend a month on supplements.

I agree. And, are all those vitamins really needed?

Quote:
Regarding fish oil, I take 3 grams of Neptune Krill oil a day, and am going to supplement that with some Cod Liver Oil soon.

Sounds good.