Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-08-06, 18:37

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Cool Quackwatch

http://www.quackwatch.com/
It is always wise to do your homework first before diving into a product that someone stands to make money off of. Snake Oil salesmen have been around for ages and prey on peoples desire for health. They sound professional, they sound sincere, but do you really want to trust your health to charlatans. QuackWatch is unbiased, and they aren't selling anything.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 09:01

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed1
http://www.quackwatch.com/
It is always wise to do your homework first before diving into a product that someone stands to make money off of. Snake Oil salesmen have been around for ages and prey on peoples desire for health. They sound professional, they sound sincere, but do you really want to trust your health to charlatans. QuackWatch is unbiased, and they aren't selling anything.
QuackWatch is one person's opinion. Biases do exist on the site.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 09:15

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Thanks for the link. I didn't find it terribly easy to navigate the site if you are looking up something specific, but I assume I'll figure it out! It looks like a good site to browse for interesting tidbits.

Of course there are biases there. Just like this site. But I find science behind the ideas at both sites.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 14:44

BF:

The key is they don't tell you how great something is on one page and then on the next page just happens to be an advertisement for that very same miracle cure. We have one radio huckster that purports to be a health expert and he just swears by COLOSTRUM. According to this expert colostrum cures everything, and unknowing people are running out buying this worthless product. Another huckster calls herself doctor, and everything she recommends just happens to be her very own product Starrwalker. There is nothing out there to counter the lies that flood the airways, and people are throwing away their hard earned money on Snake Oil. All I am saying is investigate before you jump, or just send you money to me and I will cast a magic spell to cure what ails you - it always works - I have testimonials - I swear - trust me.

PS Diva, Quackwatch is not an easy site to navigate, and it does take some research to dig through the material, but it is worth the effort.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 15:24
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quacker...Topics/lcd.html

Quote:
Many promoters of dietary schemes would have us believe that a special substance or combination of foods will automatically result in weight reduction. That's simply not true. To lose weight, you must eat less, or exercise more, or do both. There are about 3,500 calories in a pound of body weight. To lose one pound a week, you must consume about 500 fewer calories per day than you metabolize. Most fad diets, if followed closely, will result in weight loss—as a result of caloric restriction. But they are invariably too monotonous and are sometimes too dangerous for long-term use. Moreover, dieters who fail to adopt better exercise and eating habits will regain the lost weight—and possibly more.

Quote:
Nonrecommended Sources of Health Advice
Robert Atkins, MD (to be posted)
Earl Mindell (posted 3/14/05)

http://www.quackwatch.org/03HealthP...tioxidants.html
Quote:
There is widespread scientific agreement that eating adequate amounts of fruits and vegetables can help lower the incidence of cardiovascular disease and certain cancers. With respect to antioxidants and other phytochemicals, the key question is whether supplementation has been proven to do more good than harm. So far, the answer is no, which is why the FDA will not permit any of these substances to be labeled or marketed with claims that they can prevent disease.

The Atkins diet completely changed my health - 180 degrees. Since Quackwatch disapproves most of what I have used to completely change my health -- I would have to conclude that they are the quacks.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 15:26

I've gone back to look some more, and I like that he has posted other people's research papers and/or articles. Stephen Barrett seems very skeptical. I like that, because so am I.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 15:36

I really do think Atkins was on to something. And I think someday he will be recognized for his pioneering efforts. (At least I hope so.) But his work was evolving. He had backed off from some of the statements he made in his first book as he gained more and more experience with his diet.

I do believe his work was good. And I'm sorry he isn't around to keep fighting the good fight. But I don't think that he was necessarily right about every single thing he ever said. Just as I don't expect that the information on Quackwatch will always be right.

I think places like Quackwatch that are looking at the latest information are likely to come around to our way of thinking before sooner than most. And when they do, they will be armed with the best information to help spread information about the success of low carb diets.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 08:42
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I don't think Quackwatch has the latest information. A lot of it is regurjitating the pendactic medical status quo, JMO.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 10:36
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

"The Atkins diet completely changed my health - 180 degrees. Since Quackwatch disapproves most of what I have used to completely change my health -- I would have to conclude that they are the quacks."

Yeah, whenever I read "calorie in calorie out ..." on a site I click the back button. Much of modern nutrition is junk science.

Like many great men Dr. Atkins was before his time, it may take 10 years or more but he will be exonerated!
---------------------
"when you have two competing theories which make exactly the same predictions, the one that is simpler is the better." -- Occam's Razor.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 10:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

At least it provides a counter balance to the hooey that is thrown out there. There's another site called, I think, supplementwatch.com (google it, might be healthwatch) that seems to give pretty good information about supplements, reserving a healthy dose of skepticism for some.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 10:44

Plan: CAD
Stats: 195/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I think Quack Watch is extremely biased. They are against everything. They are against ear candling, which has helped me and my mother. They are against colloidal silver which has cured my uti's. I don't think it is my imagination that the pain and burning disappeared after using the colloidal silver. I think the medical establishment wantst to scare consumers into spending their money on countless doctor's appointments instead of finding natural cures that work.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 10:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, did you read about what taking silver can do to you?

After reading this, I wouldn't go near it with a 10' pole: http://www.together.net/~rjstan/rose1.html
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 16:39

Plan: CAD
Stats: 195/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I've been taking it for 2 months, and I'm not blue thank you very much!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 17:56

BF:

I just want people to know that there is another side to the hucksters who promote bogus products just to fill their pockets. They are all over the radio, and as far as I know the only one to tell the other side is Dr Dean Edell, and most stations won't carry him because they can make more money off the charlatans. We have hours of these crooks broadcast every weekend with no reality thrown in. This was really posted as an attack on the fishy supplement makers. Atkins is not a god, but he was certainly onto something with his theories about carb control. This does not mean that this is the be all - end all to the proper diet. Atkins was a pioneer, but lets see where science leads us. Another interesting article on vitamins.
http://www.webmd.com/content/Articl...tm?pagenumber=1
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 18:50

Here's a site you might like Dazed1!

http://www.panexa.com/