Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 17:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/000/145 Female 5ft. 4in.
BF:
Progress: 539%
Default Glutamine

Hi,
Anyone know how much powdered glutamine to take to help sugar cravings?
I am unsure as to how much to take. The pkg. just says 1 teaspoon. I have read about using it to help sugar cravings. Also, I got really sleepy when I took it after dinner yesterday. I didn't take anymore because I don't want to be sleepy during the workday.
Thanks, I am new to all of this..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 17:47
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

1 teaspoon is about 5 grams - somewhat more than you need to prevent sugar cravings.
Dr Atkins suggested 500mg - 1000mg 3 times daily. I took 500mg tablets and found them VERY helpful. These days I take glutamine after working out, and take 5g or so at a time. It has lots of uses.

So if you take a quarter or less of a teaspoon, I think you will find it to be plenty.

HTH

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 17:48
Forum Moderator

BF:

Sorry, I only just noticed your mention of it making you sleepy. I have never noticed that, so maybe it was a coincidence?

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 18:02
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

I use glutamine 500 mg capsules
(they are about 10 cents a piece
for a 100 as I recall.)

If it is 12:30 pm and I haven't
had lunch but want to go for
an hour bike ride, I will take
two and drink a diet coke and
that will keep me satisfied til
I get back from my ride.

I take them on rides longer than
50 miles too to keep me from eating
unhealthy things out of AM/PM markets
along the way.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 06:44

BF:

Thanks Rosebud, I will try a 1/4 teaspoon. Do you take it before you eat or after you eat to get the best absorption?
I have been doing PP and lost 40 pounds since June 2004, craving are returning in full force. Of course the holidays didn't help as I was not very good about eating. Now I am suffering the bad cravings again and gained about 8-10 pounds. I just want to try to stay on top of my weight. I worked very hard to get here and don't want to ruin it all.
Thanks again,
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 06:47

BF:

nedgoudy,
Are you saying the glutamine helps control your hunger??
I need to read up on more of this, that would be fantastic!
I know body builders use it to help build muscle or something like that. Maybe this will help.
Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 17:34
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try4Me
Thanks Rosebud, I will try a 1/4 teaspoon. Do you take it before you eat or after you eat to get the best absorption?
I have been doing PP and lost 40 pounds since June 2004, craving are returning in full force. Of course the holidays didn't help as I was not very good about eating. Now I am suffering the bad cravings again and gained about 8-10 pounds. I just want to try to stay on top of my weight. I worked very hard to get here and don't want to ruin it all.
Thanks again,

The good news is that I no longer have any cravings. But back when I did, I religiously followed Dr A's edict, and that is to take it half an hour before each meal. You can also take it as soon as any cravings hit. I've even heard of people putting some of the powder under their tongue for faster absorption.
Another thing that some people find helps when hit by cravings, is to eat something high in fat and protein. (Personally when I had a craving for ch*****te, all I wanted was that "brown stuff" )

I wish you well getting control of the cravings. They can be pretty fierce.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 02:53
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Is there a difference between glutamine and l-glutamine? Or am I confusing things entirely? I don't have the jar with me

e
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 03:15
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheets
Is there a difference between glutamine and l-glutamine? Or am I confusing things entirely? I don't have the jar with me

e
No difference, Erika, they are the same.

Roz
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 06:44

BF:

Erika,
Thanks for asking that question! I have always wondered that myself. This forum is great. Great minds think alike.

Thanks Rosebud, I mainly stick with PPLP plan, they talk mainly about Mag, and Potassium, but I have DANDR also. I will dust it off and look that info up. Really, as I think about it, maybe I need to re-read their chapter on Antioxidants. I have homework to do! LOL

It always helps to see what other people have tried, and this is new territory for me. I do take a good multi-vitamin and extra magnesium and potassium (just the drug-store variety). I have found that helps a lot with the leg cramps I got in the very beginning. Muscle spasms happen if you don't watch it.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 07:12
Forum Moderator

BF:

If you are interested, there is a bucketload of info about glutamine here: http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag99/sep99-report3.html

Cheers.

Roz
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 14:47
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 206/183/170 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/22%/18%
Progress: 64%

Try4Me,

Dr. Ron Rosedale (The Rosedale Diet) recommends:

"That you take 2,000 milligrams (mg) of glutamine before you go to bed at night......If you are experiencing sugar or alcohol cravings take up to 500mg two or three times during the day as needed (up to 2,000mg) as long as you lower the night time dosage accordingly. The most effective means of curbing cravings is to use a powdered form of glutamine mixed in water (it tastes fine), or open a capsule and let it dissolve on your tongue. Amino acids, like glutamine, are best taken on an empty stomach, twent minutes before meals or two hours after meals. Glutamine may be taken with a little fat, but for maximum absorption, avoid taking it with protein."
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 17:03

BF:

Thank you all, I will bookmark the website.
Another question though. I have the powdered form, what measurement would I use to get the 500mg, 2000mg?? That is where I am confused. I should have ordered capsules, but the powder was a better deal online. I am not real good at the metric system. I will do some google searching tonight.
Thanks all.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-11-06, 17:37
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try4Me
Thank you all, I will bookmark the website.
Another question though. I have the powdered form, what measurement would I use to get the 500mg, 2000mg?? That is where I am confused. I should have ordered capsules, but the powder was a better deal online. I am not real good at the metric system. I will do some google searching tonight.
Thanks all.

1 teaspoon = 5g, or 5000mg. So as I said earlier, around 1/4 teaspoon or so will be good. Remember, there is no problem with taking more. Dr Rosedale may say 2g is the limit, but frankly I find that surprising, since other sources say the upper limit is more like 30g.
Most people like me who take it after workouts to help prevent DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) take 5g at a time.

Roz
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 06:10

BF:

Thanks Rosebud,
I tried an 1/8 of a teaspoon last night before dinner. No Cravings! I have never taken it but one other time and I thought it made me sleepy. That was 1 teaspoon. This time I did not get sleepy.
I will try this again at 1/8 t. dose. Hope this helps. Also when I get into an exercise routine, I might increase it. I read where it keeps you from losing muscle. Good information here.
Thanks to you all!