Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 06:43

Plan: my own
Stats: 165/148/110 Female 165cm
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Any final year Ph.D student out there?

Hi...

I'm finishing off my PhD this year... which is very very hard work (am working 12-16hours a day, including weekends! )

... but want to shed all the pounds I got from eating disorders, depression, studying, lack of exercise, lack of time, etc... BEFORE i get a job... so I need to start now.

Anyone else is that situation? I'm scared I won;t be able to do both low carb & my work... but I am determined to do it!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 11:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/270/220 Male 6'2"
BF:yummy
Progress: 40%

Hey more power to ya!!!! I dont think I could do all that
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 11:16

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

I know the feeling, I am finishing law school and am just over extended, but I know I need to do this now!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 17:57

Stats: 192/177/165 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hey,
I'm working on my PhD too, crazy aren't we? Hopefully this will be my last year, but you never can tell. Sounds like grad. school has done the same thing to all of us. It's really hard to focus on work/school and still stay motivated with diet exercise too. Good luck everyone
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-04, 07:39
Registered Member

Stats: 170/144/135 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

hey frenchlass!

I am just finishing my phd - I'm in Dublin, so not too far away from you! I have about 6 weeks left til I submit so everything is a bit crazy. possibly shouldn't be even reading the boards at the moment but I'm easily distracted! Hope your work is going well

I've actually found the whole lo-carbing thing a big help though. Usually, if I'm in a really stressed phase I eat real comfort foods - loads of pasta and toast, starchy stuff - and put on weight uncontrollably, and then get even more stressed because I'm getting fatter and unable to stop it. Lo-carbing has really kept me on track (I started October 2003) and made me much less worried about my weight because I now feel in control, like I now know what to do. Actually, this peace of mind has really surprised me, it's been brilliant. I've basically been doing maintenance this last few months, putting any idea of losing more out of my head and just keeping myself stable. And it's working really well, the first time ever I've known how to not put on weight. But I also know that I can go back down to owl whenever I feel the need to lose more and that I'm not stuck where I am. Actually, I'm thinking that after I finish I'll give the carb-cycling thing a try...

So, for now, I'm manically stressed - my boyfriend doesn't know what's hit him! - but basically lo-carb helps rather than hinders.

I hope that's encouraging enough for you!

Veda
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 07:58

BF:
Wink

Hey girls, we can do it!

PhD s are such a frustrating thing... have suffered for nearly 4 years to get some decent data with no help from anyone; boss doesn't even understand what I do! Hopefully finished in next 6 weeks, so lots of stress and even more work...

I really hate the way the whole experience has had such a devastating impact on my life... haven't been in contact with anyone for so long I wonder if they'll know who I am when I finally get time to visist! no time for exercise, no time to take care of myself... carbs seemed to be the only nice thing in my life ! Except that I put on over 3 stones (25kg exactly), and really, I am not presentable for a job interview! Had to make decision to start low carb before end of PhD... it's not been too bad though, like Vera says. I don't crave any carbs physically, but psychologically it is difficult to do without the freindly comfort food....

So what are you girls planning for when it's all over??? I am taking at least 2 months off to do NOTHING, except take care of myself, get back in shape, and feel good all together...

Let's keep in touch for support!
Alice
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 06:26
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Hey me too! I am finishing up my dissertation as we speak. I am pretty sick of it.

What am I going to do? Look for a job, that is what!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 16:29

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 340/324/165 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

how many years does it take to get a phd?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 04:59

BF:

it depends in which country. In the UK it takes about 4 years, but I think in the US it's more like 6 years... and a lot of hard work!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 10:39
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I think the average in the US is 8 years. Sucks, really.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 20:29

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hey, just browsing and I saw this thread. I'm a hopefully soon-to-be Ph.D. student in Cell/Molecular Bio. Interesting to see so many grad students in here!

Well, this thread is old so you guys are probably all done by now, but if there are any other grad students out there, give a call out!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-04, 09:01

BF:
Default welcome to grad school!

Hi Jamian,

I'm still here! I am finishing off in the lab (similar subject to you!), but when I say that to people they ask when I will be getting a job... and then I have to explain that finishing in the lab is only the 1st part, then you have to write up, submit, have your viva, add your corrections, etc so no job for another 6months or so!!

Anyway, Lcing during grad school is quite hard I think. I felt like I should have put my whole life on hold, so I did, but the best way to do it is to kepp doing things that make you happy. Which includes looking good and feeling good!

I've been really naughty in the recent weeks about LCing... but I really need to get back on track; I can feel my body doesn't like anything but good quality food...

Good luck LCing & researching!

Alice
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 20:48

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hey Alice,
Glad to hear you're still around!
I am getting ready to take the GRE in Biochem/cell/molec bio in November. It can be really hard to study and not munch on carby food. I used to stock up on chips and cookies whenever I had exams or papers to write. I've been out of college since spring, did a summer internship at a biotech and just got hired at UCSF as a research associate. I'll be starting up a new lab with a brand new prof. It is really exciting.

You should get a journal or stop by mine and chat, I'd love to keep in touch with more grad students on this WOE and share support.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-13-05, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 224/210/180 Male 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 32%

Starting in Chem this fall