Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 11:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/205/170 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress:
Default Armour

Hey..........I just got diagnosed as hypothyroid about 8 months ago. Got put on 25 mcgs of synthroid and still had no energy. Recently I asked my endo for Cytomel to be added and he added 5 mcgs and i never saw a difference. He is against armour so what i did (to some this may be dumb) is i ordered my own armour online and matched the dose. I've been taking it about three weeks and I notice a difference, feel much better.........but no weight loss yet. I decided to go up (because 1/4 grain is lowest and most need more than that) and i've dated when i started taking 1/2 grain so that i can go get a thyroid test after 4 weeks. I plan to tell my endocrinologist i made these decisions on my own.....and to him it may be stupid but to me necessary. I will not go up on my own against dr's advice but I definitely will notify him and will make sure my thyroid is tested 4 weeks after i started taking extra, and 6 weeks after, etc. It's hard to read all this stuff about armour being better, and not being allowed it. I just got fed up...........but i feel much better now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 13:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wouldn't be surprised if your endocrinologist as an enormous fit. They don't like patients self-medicating.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-11-06, 13:22

Plan: CKD
Stats: 250/176/150 Female 5ft7in
BF:Lots
Progress: 74%

I'm considering doing that, but I don't have any clue on what my dosage of armour should be.... Plus synthroid, supplements and diet are doing the job so far.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-19-06, 04:02

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

It's highly likely your tiny dose of synthyroid was doing nothing for you whatsoever. I suspect it needed to be made higher. AS you've introduced armour, you've caused yourself a bit of a problem... If you tell your doc, he's going to be highly disapproving. If you don't tell him, your tests will show better results and you won't get given any more synthyroid.... Most people are good on about 50+ of synthyroid per day. I'm on 100mcg...
You need to raise your synthyroid to where it should be.... Your endo should have increased yours each 4-6 weeks until it was at a point where you were feeling better. If he hasn't, change your endo. He sucks.