Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 07:54

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Question Body Shape Question

So I know in protein power you are supposed to take your measurements to show if you are an apple. the issue is this: I am about 99% sure i am an apple shape, but at my waist (the level of my navel) im pretty sharply cut in, but i have a big roll directly above and another pouch of chubbiness right below this cut in waist. its like if you looked at me sideways you'd have two roundnesses, with a cut in between. if i didnt have that cut, id be perfectly round.
so, that being said, it makes measuring difficult. does anyone else have this problem? I feel so self concious about my 'lumpiness'. it also makes clothing shopping really really difficult. how much protein is my minimum if im 5'4" and 217?
and, by the way, i really love eating the protein power way.

Thank you very much,

Mary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 10:14

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 185/184/150 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default maybe take an average?

I'm not an expert yet at PP (I'll let Bawdy or another do that), but my suggestion,then, is to maybe average all 3 areas (above, middle and below the navel). With PP, you'll be caculating the minimum protein, and you can always have more! Good luck; it's a great WOE and very liveable!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 16:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Hi Mary,

If you read PPLP there is a much simpler protein calculation - which for your height and weight suggests 34g protein per meal (say 100g per day).

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 17:25

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Mary,
Malcolm gave you a great estimate for protein. Remember that is the MINIMUM protein amount to eat per day. I started Protein Power at around 165 lbs at 5'7" and felt best and lost best eating around 120g protein daily. I also am not a huge exerciser, so you can certainly go above the minimum if you are exercising a lot.

I wouldn't worry too much about defining your body shape. As long as you are measuring in the same place in the same way each time, you will know if you are making progress. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 18:59

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

If you haven't read the books yet (which is sounds like you haven't, since you asked what your minimum protein requirement is), the best advice I can give is to do so immediately. The LC lifestyle is not just another diet. There are reasons for a minimum protein requirement, there are reasons you should eat this and shouldn't eat that.

The book really is worth it.

Good luck to you!