Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Wed, May-27-20, 08:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

This is a great start. This crisis shows how splitting up all the metabolic issues into separate diseases, with separate drugs, is also part of the problem.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Wed, May-27-20, 09:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Why insulin resistance is important when determining whether a person is healthy

At Diet Doctor https://www.dietdoctor.com/why-insu...rson-is-healthy

I am forever grateful that Dr Westman ordered a fasting insulin at my first visit in 2010 and explained its importance. Since then I convinced my oncologist of insulin's importance and have a blood level every year. Even a decade later...how many GPs would know to order it and how to interpret it?

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-27-20 at 09:40.
  #153   ^
Old Wed, May-27-20, 10:18

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Why insulin resistance is important when determining whether a person is healthy

At Diet Doctor https://www.dietdoctor.com/why-insu...rson-is-healthy

I am forever grateful that Dr Westman ordered a fasting insulin at my first visit in 2010 and explained its importance. Since then I convinced my oncologist of insulin's importance and have a blood level every year. Even a decade later...how many GPs would know to order it and how to interpret it?

My physician has been testing my fasting insulin level for years. He's also the person who talked me into trying low-carb eating 18 years ago.
  #154   ^
Old Wed, May-27-20, 14:24

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

The only time I had such testing was during two pregnancies. Nothing since. A 1c if I ask for it.

Finding quality doctors is a chore.

I too noticed lack of covering obesity and internal health as a basis to fight covid on the news. When I mention this factor to friends they think Im looney...... afterall Im not a doctor and not a news outlet.They are hoping for a vaccine to save them.
  #155   ^
Old Fri, May-29-20, 05:56

BF:

I kept running into the high incidence of HBP as the biggest risk of getting sick with COVID-19: 89% is most often quoted. That's a staggeringly high number.

Some further research dug up several recent studies pointing to body-wide inflammation as the elusive cause of high blood pressure.

Everything comes back to inflammation: carbs and seed oils. Industrial diet.
  #156   ^
Old Fri, May-29-20, 23:56

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Ep73 – Vitamin D Status and Viral Interactions…The Science

^ Like Ivor Cummings mentions at around 6:12 or so, supplements alone will not bring up your vitamin D levels. These four will:

Sun (with no burning)

nutrient dense foods

avoiding insulin resistance (diabetic disfunction)

avoid inflammatory conditions

Salmon and liver are good sources:

#157   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-20, 02:28

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

How a fat cell's immune response makes obesity worse

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020...se-obesity.html

Quote:
When obesity occurs, a person's own fat cells can set off a complex inflammatory chain reaction that can further disrupt metabolism and weaken immune response—potentially placing people at higher risk of poor outcomes from a variety of diseases and infections, including COVID-19.

#158   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-20, 08:21

BF:

Obesity and coronavirus: how can a higher BMI increase your risk?

Experts call for more weight loss treatment in UK as studies show obese people are more vulnerable

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rease-your-risk

Quote:
Obesity was a problem before Covid-19, but this is an infectious disease that hits obese people disproportionately hard, no matter their income.

Countries with high obesity rates from western Europe to the US are struggling to keep people alive in intensive care units. Britain, long described as “the fat man of Europe” also has the highest number of Covid-19 deaths in Europe. Almost 30% of adults in the UK are classed as obese. The figure is nearly 40% in the US, where Covid deaths have topped 100,000.

It is striking, experts say, that wealthy countries appear to have higher mortality rates than impoverished ones. Africa so far has not experienced the explosion of deaths that Europe has. There will be many factors, and absence of good data collection will be one. But low rates of obesity, type 2 diabetes and the chronic disease of the heart and other organs are likely to play a part.
  #159   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-20, 14:08

BF:

Quote:
It is striking, experts say, that wealthy countries appear to have higher mortality rates than impoverished ones. Africa so far has not experienced the explosion of deaths that Europe has. There will be many factors, and absence of good data collection will be one. But low rates of obesity, type 2 diabetes and the chronic disease of the heart and other organs are likely to play a part.

"Likely "????

How long before the finger will be pointed at insulun resistance and the resulting list of chronic illnesses related to a malfunctioning body fed crap food and too much food.

I laughingly tell my kids that the humans that will inhabit the future world will be the secluded tribes that keep to themselves.
  #160   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-20, 18:28

BF:

Reminder on food sources for minerals.

Plants require the land to be adequate in minerals for the plants to be adequate.

And animal sources require their feed to be adequate in minerals.

There are no requirements that mandate the quality of mineral levels in the food we eat.

Given how livestock are managed for the most part ( large commercial production) and mass fruit / veg production, the minimums for basic health is the bar. Few producers maximize the nutrient density of our foods as that can be too expensive. Inadequacies are often discovered when production starts to fail. Others monitor to prevent crop failure.

And the lands around the USA vary considerably. One example is selenimum should be supplemented on the east side of the Mississippi. I supplemented my foals, but who mentions our children......

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Jun-04-20 at 08:43.
  #161   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-20, 05:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
There are no requirements that mandate the quality of mineral levels in the food we eat.

This is very important and part of our current supplement regimen.
  #162   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-20, 01:45

BF:

Food industry's fuelling of obesity means it must 'share blame' for severity of coronavirus, experts say

In the UK, people who are overweight or obese made up 78 per cent of confirmed coronavirus infections and 62 per cent of hospital deaths

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...blame-severity/
  #163   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-20, 09:02

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

"Food industry's fuelling of obesity means it must 'share blame' for severity of coronavirus, experts say"

How did that old saying go... "Oh, Please!"
  #164   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-20, 11:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

'Blame' needs understanding of possible consequence. This is not a case of wilfull ignorance, people didn't know covid 19 was coming or who it would hit hardest. This is more along the lines of 'likely has explanatory power.'
  #165   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-20, 12:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
'Blame' needs understanding of possible consequence. This is not a case of wilfull ignorance, people didn't know covid 19 was coming or who it would hit hardest. This is more along the lines of 'likely has explanatory power.'

Well stated. If more understood this often ignored truth, we'd be far better equipped to deal with things that really matter by losing the distractions by things that don't.