Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 12:42

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Gale...

You sound so down. I wish I could come over and have tea with you... but that's a way to go for the weekend! Here's a little for you. I know how hard it is to watch the scale go up and feel shitty all for quitting smoking. I love smoking and could go back to it in a heart-beat. But I just can't justify it. All this misery for nothing? No way!

I just keep telling myself that no matter how much I gain, I will be able to lose it once my metabolism stabilizes. I know how to lose weight, and so do you. We just have to be patient and wait for that to happen before we worry too much about it.

Try to keep your chin up, and try not to dwell on it. We can get back on track soon!

Hang in there!

Thinking about ya....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 12:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Think of it this way...

Being thin isn't going to do you a whole lot of good if you can't breathe! I quit smoking once before for 4 months and didn't gain any weight. Stupidly went back to it again, so now I'm on day 2 of quitting again...hopefully this time for good. Even if I gain a few pounds, at least I'll be able to breathe and that's worth the price of a few pounds. Having said that, I know I'll still be bummed if the scale starts going up instead of down...I just got it moving down again after a 3 month stall!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 15:57

Plan: protein power
Stats: 265/134/120
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hello Non Smokers!
I've been totally Nicotine free for 15 days now..I'm feeling great,and I am a little afraid to gain weight as well, I have not gained anything yet...I drink a lot of water, I've been exercising a lot and I've really been counting my carbs...and if all else fails and I'm hungry and having a fit I just come on line till it passes.
Best of luck to you all
Louise
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 08:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default thanks everyone!

1st of all WTG Donna! I read in another post U were able to fight off the urge to smoke. I am proud of U girl!!! How long were U on each stage of the patch? Im having one hell of a time even finding them now. There are so many people here that have quit recently that the manufacture is having a hard time keeping up. Im doing ok. I know deep in my heart that being a non-smoker is the most important. Im still hopeful that I wont put much weight on and that in a few months when my metabolism straightens out it will come off. So far just 4 pounds in 3 weeks and because I am exercising at watching what I eat, Im still convinced some of that is water. In fact I did read that quitting may cause water rentention in some people. LISA hang in there and U R right...if I cant breath and have other health problems from smoking being thin wont be a wonderful thing anyway. WTG Louise!!! welcome to our group. Are U on the patch? I found it has really helped me. Thanks again everyone!!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 11:06

BF:

Hello!
Day 17 all is well. No I'm not on the patch. I was going to try Nicorette gum, even bought a box and have not used any of them.I figured why add nicotine to my body, when I'm trying to get rid of the nicotine.
The 3 first days were the hardest,and even that wasn't so bad, I kept very busy, now it's nothing...I keep wondering when it's really going to hit...I'm ready!!!
The only thing I find really weird is that all my food taste so salty, I'm not big on salty food...has this happen to any of you?
I see your all doing very well!!!!!
I have to agree that a few pounds is not that big a price to pay for having nice clean lungs.....and if we don't gain to much it should not be to hard to take off later on...
Keep up the great work
Louise
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 20:02

BF:

Hey Louise, you are strong! Stronger than I am! I did notice the salty thing! I guess that's just the whole thing about your taste buds coming back to life. I had no idea that some things were so salty! Funny...

Notice smells yet? That's a biggie! I found out that a friend of mine has BO! What a riot!

We all should be so proud!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-02, 06:26

BF:

Hi Donna!
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with the salty taste buds, at least I know now it's not my body lacking some kind of vitamin....
Yes I have noticed I can smell things, like fabric softener, my perfume seems stronger, but I guess I haven't been around anyone with BO yet, I must say that is funny,maybe buy your friend some nice smelly soap and deodorant as a "your a special friend " present...
My son went to his girlfriends the other day, and her parents both smoke, when he came home I could smell, the nicotine on his clothes...It was gross!!!
Well I hope you all have a great Nicotine, Free day
Louise
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 17:10

BF:
Default quitnet.com

Hey all, I've found this web site called quitenet.com, and they have a forum very similar to this one and there is a weight-gain thread in there. I've read and although I don't feel better about the weight I've gained, perhaps I can accept it a little more?

Thought you might like to have a look at it.

How you doing Gale?

My puter is at the PC hospital and I may not have it back this weekend, so I'll check back in from work (where I am now...) and see how all are doing!

#24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 12:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/172/160
BF:
Progress: 54%

I don't know if this answers your question but I quit back in November and havent gained any weight. I think my LC progress is slower than other people because of it, but it is definately worth it. Weight gain due to quitting is your metabolism slowing down by about 10%. I won't tell you to excercise because I know its not easy, but I walk my kids to school, take the stairs now, etc... (because as a non-smoker I now can do these things ) It all adds up!! Best of luck. Please stick with quitting. You'll love yourself for it.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 18:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default howdy

Huggs Donna! Sounds like U R doing better, I was worried about ya. Im just catching up with my mail. I had my computor fixed to but it still isnt right and one day soon will just conk out on me. Its old so cant do much about it. Problem is dont have the money to replace it right now either. Im doing fine, thanks for visiting my journal, will try to find yours here soon. Im on day 25 and when I weighed friday I was actually down a pound to 135. I know hun if U stick with low-carbing, add some exercise, the weight U put on will come off soon [ remind me of that in a month if I am whining cause my weight has gone up again..lol] I know its hard but at least there are lots here for support. hi PHONEMARSH, nice to meet U. Question for U??? Were U low-carbing before U quit smoking? And did u change ANYTHING imediately after U quit smoking?
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 21:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/172/160
BF:
Progress: 54%

I would say I upped the excercise a little because I was very aware of my weight and didn't want the weight gain to be my excuse to start smoking again.... No, I wasn't lo carbing then. I was low fatting...Down to 1500 calories a day and didn't loose or gain for a couple of months. Then I switched to Lo Carb in February and was able to loose. Let me know how you do. I LOVE ex-smokers.