Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 22:24

Plan: lowcarby WW
Stats: 212.6/198.8/191 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 64%
Thumbs up Runners - how big when you started?

I've gone through and read some of the old running threads. I always had fantasies about running a marathon some day.

I know I need to start slow cause I'm still so big - but how heavy were you all when you started running? How did you get into it?

I've read some articles about training for a marathon, but they assume that you can already run 3miles in one go. And I can run about 45seconds at once.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 10:57

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_cat
I've read some articles about training for a marathon, but they assume that you can already run 3miles in one go. And I can run about 45seconds at once.
c_cat, back when I first started jogging I was over 270 lbs and I couldn't make it down the block. A year later I was going out for 45 minute runs 5 times a week, and loving every minute of it. I'd also been smoking heavily when I started.

It's doable. Just take it one block at a time - or one 45 second interval at a time. Walk, jog, walk, jog. And remember to stretch out afterward

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:26

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 298/270/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 19%

I just started speed walking this week at 265 lbs and today ran about 150 ft. I used to run 10 K races in my youth and this is my goal for next spring.

I am looking forward to hear from any runners on how and when they started
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:00
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power, low fat, low carb
Stats: 118/111/100 Female 5'6
BF:13%
Progress: 39%

Where I live all there are is hills, so I get really burnt out running, making it so I never want to do it... so I bought a tredmill, and am running about 20-30 min. on it each day... a tredmill i've found is very helpful to the unmotivated!

Good luck!

Jessica
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 12:18

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

15 years ago i started running as part of my diet. i weighed 168 pounds.the first time i ran, it took me 1 hour to run (waddle)2 mile.
5 months later i ran my first 1/2 marathon-13 miles in 1 and 1/2 hours.i was so proud.at that time i,d lost 50 pounds.
i don,t do marathons any more but i still like to run.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 21:30

BF:

Thanks for all the replies - so inspirational!

I'm working on putting together some shorter term goals.
1/2 marathon in a year ?? (Have to find one wear I can run/walk if need be)

current training: while doing my normal walk on the treadmill - run as much as I can (alternating with lots of walking)

I'm trying to watch how my body responds, I don't want to hurt it, so I'm not setting any specific goals for the next few months while I'm losing a lot of weight and adjusting to some jogging/running/walking that's higher impact than my couple years of walking 2 miles a day.

Jogging/running for a solid 5 minutes, then 10minutes, then 20minutes all sound like such a big deal right now! I'm so psyched. Maybe by end of year?

Sarah
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 07:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/231/160 Female 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress:

You might try looking at www.coolrunning.com - on that site you'll find a couch to 5K plan that uses a combination of running/walking intervals.

At 200lbs+, I was able to run 20 minutes at the 6 week mark, albeit slowly.

Also, I bet that Seattle has a Road Runner's Club - my local one has a beginner's running program that welcomes participants who are starting from a base of walking 4xweek for 30 minutes.

Final comment - make sure you have the correct kind of running shoe for your feet/gait.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:07

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Hi Sarah,

I think running is single best form of cardio anyone could ever take up. Congrats on your decision to start running! In a few months, I have absolute conviction you will grown to enjoy running not only for the weight loss it precipitates, but for all of the immense health benefits associated with running.

You might try www.runnersworld.com. They have a plethora of wonderful articles on running from beginning, to intermediate, to advanced stages; along with several plans for new runners to build up to 20 - 30 minutes of easy running. I think you'll find those articles extremely helpful.

Oh, by the way, just ignore all the high carb loading articles. Actually, don't even read the nutrition stuff since it's the same old world dogma we've read 1000 times before.

Best of luck,

Frederick
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 12:39

BF:

Thanks for the links Frederick and sl1029!

It's surprising (to me) how welcoming the running world is to fat out of shape runners! I did buy a good pair of shoes from a good running shoe store (the kind where they make you jog a little to judge your gait, then have you take several different shoes for a test run). My feet feel better even walking in these.

Every few pounds I lose make the running seem easier. I'm so impressed that sl ran 20 minutes at 200+ pounds!

(BTW ,where's the running thread here? There was a huge old one on BFL, but none in General Exercise.) I've loved reading over that one - pepsimax is crazy! 10 miles each morning! you go girl!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 19:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/194/180
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Chicago Marathon runner

C-cat

Even though I have weighed at least 260 I've been a runer for the last twenty five years. The politically correct term for runers like me is a Clydesdale, you know, the horses that pull the Budweiser Wagon.

I see you already have good advice. One of the founding fathers of the running for fitness life style, Jim Fixx, gave the best advice I have ever heard about begining running. Firts realize that it took you all the years that you lived to get into the shape you are. Don't think you're going to undo all that over night. If you only add a few hundred yards onto your training runs every month just think how far you'll be running in just a few years.

Spend the money to get good shoes. This a cheap sport! Dpon't need special outfits or clubs, just good shoes and anything to wear.

When you start running be able to talk at a very normal conversation tone. If you can't you're running to fast. Remember LSD, no not the drug, Long Slow Distance. Speed comes after distance. Enjoy your runs, you can't if your huffing and puffing. Hopefully this is a way of life just as low carbing is so take your time. It'll all fall into place as you weight falls off.

EdB
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 22:32

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Default You can do it:-)

I started my (half) Marathon training at 175 lbs (with 35 lbs excess weight) this February. I am 46 year old, without any previous running experience (means the longest distance I ever ran was 2k in h igh school), with an old ankle injury, and avery sensitive back. Now, 6 months later I am running 10 miles every Saturday - easily (shorter distances on the other days). My first half Marathon is in September, it will be easy:-)

I plan a Marathon next January. I am sure I can do it:-)

I used the Runnersworld, and a couple of other Marathon 101 books to create the appropriate program. For me the best was Marathon You Can Do It! by Jeff Galloway. It has a program that start with walking 30 min, and spends 26 week to prepare for a Marathon.

Here in South CA there are many clubs for beginners, for overweight people, people with diabetes or other conditions preparing them for (half) Marathon.
You can do it too.

(According my experience the moment you start to run the running itself will speed up your weightloss, making every step easier.)

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Aug-04-03 at 20:15.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 23:13

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:

hi there

I started cycling when i first started this WOE and am now at 2 miles mountain biking and 2.5 miles regular street biking aout 3-4 times a week..

I am also starting to hike (was able to go for 1:40.. about 2-3 miles with NO huffing and puffing.. unlike last year).. and today I did my first program on the treadmill

hubby bought me this treadmill last year for my birthday.. but he has been the only one using it regularly..

anyhow I did the easiest program.. started out slow and incline 1 (0) and went up to 5.6 mph at an incline of 5.. for a total of 18 minutes (and some odd seconds) and 1.69 miles.. now this program WANTED me to go to 7.2 mph, but when i saw that i said NO WAY and kept it at 5.6..

I also registered at ifit.com and plugged in information to get my fitness level.. then it gave me a personal treadmill workout I can use.. You can only plug your machine in if your treadmill is compatible.. but you can probably register for free and use the workout they say is best for you on YOUR machine too.. my workout looks good (goes up to 6 mph with 4 incline.. considered by them to be moderate, it's level 2) and it will also keep track of my workouts for me, I can personalize them etc.. (they also have strength training, yoga, elliptical etc etc)

anyhow i know it doesnt have much to do with running.. but im going to use this to get to a point where perhaps I can do a marathon also someday (or half)!

best wishes to you!! and i'll definitely have to check out that thread in BFL.. I am subscribed to 'new to cycling' and the guys over there have been SO helpful to me (not to mention I have a very supportive DH)!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 14:23

BF:

Wow peapod - you go girl!

It looks like you and I are on the same track - I started a couple weeks before you at a slightly higher weight. (228 was when I started Atkins - June 6th). And we have the same mini-goal.

I think the big difference is that you've been doing harder cardio for longer. I've been walking treadmill with some pilates. I just started trying to "run" a week ago.

I couldn't go up to 5.6 mph. I've been going up to 5.0 and running for a minute or so, then back down in the 3.x while I catch my breath for 1-4minutes (depends on the day). Yesterday I tried running as long as I could at 5.0, then dropping to 4.2 to see if I could run another minute - lasted another 15 seconds. But it's adding up.

I've added some serious weight lifting and pilates, and I feel fitter...
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:17

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

I started running back in April and have fallen in love. I have only ran outdoors a couple times b/c my neighborhood is so hilly - I stick to the good old treadmill in the basement.
I was probably hovering around 190 when I started - I began at about 4.5 mph and am now regularly running 3 miles in 33:30 minutes (5.4 mph). The other day I did 3.5 miles in 40 minutes.
My goal is to be in shape & ready to run the Marine Corp Marathon here in DC next October I am going to try a 5K in Richmond this October...maybe try to find a 1/2 marathon in the area next spring.
My next goal is to start getting outdoors for more running and train myself to handle the hills of the neighborhood. Northern VA in August though is not a great place for runners - the humidity is enough to sufficate the healthiest person!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 11:36

BF:

I read in a magazine just yesterday that a woman who trained primarily on treadmill won the marathon olympic trials one year. So treadmill is fine. I know the ground is so much harder too! poor ankles and knees.

I'm forcing myself to take a couple days off because I pushed myself so hard Sunday. 2.5 hours in the gym was way over my limit. I did weight lifting yesterday and will again tomorrow, but I'm not hitting the treadmill again until Thursday.

My shins hurt.

(I will not injure myself I will not injure myself I will not injure myself.)

And Beth, that sounds great. I think you're about a year ahead of me. I hope to do a half marathon next October. We'll see where my strength, endurance, etc. is by end of winter.