Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 19:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/165
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Ketosticks

I think I Spelled it correct? But I was wondering how good these sticks are. My wife and I have been on introduction now for 7 days. We tested using sticks and our levels where at Dark Purple which is 2nd from the top?

It is my understanding that we are now in the fat burning mode correct? Also if we use these to verify we are in a low carb state and buring fat!

Also anyone have a Idea for Cereal & milk something without Pork Rinds
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 20:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Bytor!

Yes, you have the right idea with the sticks, but you really shouldn't shoot for a purple color. Purple can indicate that you are not drinking enough water and are dehydrated. If you have been drinking at least eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day and the sticks are still purple I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't use the sticks myself, mostly because as long as the scale is moving downward or the inches are coming off and my blood sugars are controlled, I know I'm on track. Many people do like the visual confirmation that they are producing ketones. On the other hand, I've seen an awful lot of posts by people stressing over what color those silly sticks were or weren't even though they were losing weight just fine.
Breakfast cereals are a tough one on low carb. Keto makes a dry cereal similar to Rice Krispies and Coco Krispies, but I haven't tried either of them (don't miss cereal enough to spend 6 bucks on a box of it). If hot cereal is what you're missing, you can try making that with ground flax seeds and processed wheat bran; there are several recipes for it in the recipes forum or you can use the search function using the words "flax meal". Flax is very good for you and I've used it to make several things including pancakes and muffins. Keto also makes a hot cereal similar to oatmeal in several flavors that I do actually like. You can order online directly from the manufacturer at www.ketofoods.com
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 20:12

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Bytor & welcome to you and your wife. I hope things are going well for you both. I'll try to answer your questions.

Quote:
But I was wondering how good these sticks are. My wife and I have been on introduction now for 7 days. We tested using sticks and our levels where at Dark Purple which is 2nd from the top?

If you and your wife are following Atkins Induction, and are getting a dark purple reading, then you are in ketosis. Any reading on the stix (or sticks) is good - even the Trace or pale pink. The sticks are NOT all that accurate. And they cannot tell if the ketones are coming from your body's burning of stored fat or the fat you are eating. But which one is not important. It just shows that you are burning fat. A person also gets rid of ketones through the breath (which is measured by a machine at the Atkins Center in NYC) or through the waste material of the intestines. So urine is only one of 3 possible exits for the ketones.

Some people feel that such a strong reading on the Ketostix might indicate a person is somewhat dehydrated, so I hope you are both drinking several quarts of water through the day.

Quote:
It is my understanding that we are now in the fat burning mode correct? Also if we use these to verify we are in a low carb state and buring fat!

Yes, you are burning fat for energy, rather than storing excess calories as fat on the hips, thighs, etc. A person is "in a low carb state" if they are eating few carbs. However, you can also get a positive reading from the fat you are eating. The best advice is to just follow Induction and eat only what is on the list.

Quote:
Also anyone have a Idea for Cereal & milk something without Pork Rinds

Well, not in the 2 weeks of Induction, because it isn't on the list. However, there are a couple of 'low carb cereal products' on some sites. I think that the site at the top of the forum has a "keto-cereal". And I also think that Atkins site (www.atkinscenter.com) may have one.

It may be that you are in the habit of having cereal for breakfast. But that is just another habit you may want to change. Why limit yourselves to 'breakfast foods' for breakfast? Try eating other things like leftovers from dinner, or check out the recipes in our "breakfast section". there are lots of good ideas.

In general, it is a good idea to avoid seeking out 'substitutes' for the high carb stuff we used to eat. After all, this is a change in your WOE (way of eating) for the rest of your life.

I hope that you have read the book thoroughly (at least as far as how to do Induction). If not, please do borrow it from the library or buy a paperback if possible. There are great suggestions there and you will get answers to so many questions.

#4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 11:26
Registered Member

Stats: 130/124/110
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Keto products

LisaN - are the Keto products allowed during induction? I would love to try something different!! My husband and I are in our second week of induction, but may continue for another week.

Thanks!

Pam