Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
I did it! GOAL, 80+ pounds, one year
Posted by andante
Posted Sat, Apr-15-17
Female 5'9"
Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default I did it! GOAL, 80+ pounds, one year

First and most important, I want to thank everyone on the forum for the amazing mutual support and information I have found here.

I started low-carbing at the end of March last year, because I wanted to lose weight fast in order to go paragliding. I was over the weight limit. I joined this forum soon after, and while experiencing the initial success of quick weight loss during the first two weeks of low carbing, I started learning about the health benefits of this way of eating. I lost enough weight to go paragliding, and kept losing weight, and was hooked. My partner started joining me in this way of eating, but at first I think he was cheating on the side. I didn't pay much attention, because that was his issue.

Then life got interesting.

He had a major stroke in July ... Three weeks in hospital and rehab.... And while there, he was diagnosed with both high blood pressure and diabetes. So he decided to get serious. We insisted that he would be able to control his diabetes thru diet, and over the objections of doctors, he didn't start diabetes medication. He did start high blood pressure meds, but two weeks after being released from the hospital, the doctor took him off those. Within another couple of months his A1 C ultimately dropped to 5.0 and his diagnosis was reversed.

Then my health went to hell. I had a routine doctors visit in January, which showed that I had thyroid cancer, and I also needed a hysterectomy ( and more cancer testing). I am through the thyroidectomy, neck dissection, radiation treatment, and hysterectomy now. I am being monitored and am hoping that my thyroid cancer doesn't recur, and fortunately the other tests found no second cancer. Throughout, I have stuck to this way of eating, and have continued to lose weight.

I have been strictly on plan for the entire year, although I do admit that I have built-in some deviations. For example, I do use whole milk in my tea, I occasionally drink wine, I count net carbs, and I don't freak out if my veggie carbs go over 20 or 30, as long as they are on my approved foods list.

I think the key is to find foods that you love. There are so many, that there's no need to ever think about the foods that you can't have anymore. I learned that lesson here, along with basics like the magic of cauliflower and coconut oil. I think loving what you eat is the most important lesson of all.

This is the first time in my life I have felt in control of how I eat, when I eat, how much I eat, and the first time that I have had a reasonable sense of portion control, cravings, and when enough is enough. That in itself is a blessing.

I don't know where my health and fitness journey will take me next. I am walking now and when I recover from my most recent surgery, I plan to start working out to build some muscle. I will stay low carbing, and see where my weight stabilizes. And I will buy lots of new clothes!

This is been an exciting and joyful journey, and I thank all of you for being part of it. My best wishes to those just starting. It works!
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet

by thud123 on Sat, Apr-15-17, 15:53

what a great story andante. I didn't know the depth of the other issue that you and your husband were working on. I'm very glad to have shared on this board with you. Your perspective always seems harmonious and to the point. Thank you!

- an admirer of yours,

Thud

16 comments [read all comments]

Article tools