Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-19, 09:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/232/180 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 12%
Post New but not new

Good morning, I say new but not new because I did the Adkins diet once before in my early 20s. Worked like a dream then. I am 40 now and not so much working for me. I have been on it, induction phase, since Feb 22. I lost 9 pounds pretty quick (like within the first week and a half), but then stalled and cannot lose more for some reason, and as a matter of fact going up and down. I am following the diet exactly with no alterations. May even be getting too few carbs (can that be a problem??). I have added in 30 minutes of exercise a day within the last week or so, but still no change in weight. Starting to get frustrated..... Thanks for "listening." Christina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-19, 09:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Welcome, you are in the right place for help and support.

In my forties is when I had good luck with LC; and now years later I too am struggling. We are in the same boat.

Even if the pounds are not moving, hopefully you have other benefits like less brain fog and better sleeping, and more energy.

Just dont quit. There are ways to tweak this. Im sure there are a few who can help.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-19, 11:22

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Welcome Christina! I'm in my early 50's and I just wanted to say that I sometimes run into 6 week stalls. I can't really put a rhyme or reason to them, but I take heart in knowing that I've never had a stall last longer than 6 weeks. Don't worry - the loss will come!

Do you have other markers - are your pants looser? Do you have less aches and pains? Are you sleeping better? etc.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-19, 14:22

BF:

I don't know exactly what the issue is, but I lost about 7-9 the first week to two weeks, then nothing through now. I guess its really only been about 4-1/2 weeks though so maybe I should not freak out much. My in-laws tell me I look like I'm loosing and are astounded when I tell them the scale doesn't say so. I do think I was kind of sabotaging myself, however, it occurred to me today that I might use too much Splenda. 2-3 coffees with 6 packets each. Didn't realize Splenda had carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-19, 17:52

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Christy

1 packet of Splenda has 11 carbs...so that could be an issue. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/sweeteners

Another is the tendency for everyone to not quite "remember" all the rules. three good articles by Dr Eades on "the second time around" . https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...w-carb-dieters/

Another is the common weight loss pattern of a pause after initial water weight drop. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...99&page=1&pp=15

You might also consider following a stricter, real food Keto diet https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/guides.
Not to worry...you have found what works for you but accept it may be slower than 20 years ago.
All the best!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-19, 13:00

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Janet, that must be a typo. Carbs in one packet of Splenda is 1 g, not 11.

Regardless, schristy46, did you say six packets of Splenda in one cup of coffee, times 2-3? Whoa! I would cut Splenda or any other artificial sweetener out completely for a week or two and then maybe introduce it back slowly, 1 packet per cup of coffee, 2-3 times a day tops. If that's not enough for you, you should consider staying away from it altogether. Get used to having coffee with just cream, or black. Probably a foreign concept to you, but all that artificial sweetener is detrimental.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 04:47

Sorry, it is 1g actual carbohydrate per packet but on a Sweetness Equivilant basis, DietDoctor counts it as 11g. I often use that figure, helps to consider the overall impact.
More on the detrimental impacts of various kinds of sweeteners:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/sweeteners
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 07:08
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Age has a lot to do with the efficacy of our various LCHF dietary plans. I'm at 74 years now and have been in and out of ketosis since 1972.

This is a hard road to travel consistently, and we all take off down the side paths every once in a while. It's called life.

Before I discovered Dr. Fung three years ago on this very forum, I had been plateaued for several years. IF helped me get to goal. Since then I've been gradually gaining, despite being strict.

I've performed every known experiment on myself in an attempt to find out why this is happening. I gave up artificial sweeteners, diet sodas, HWC, and just about every other comfort food LC offers over the past year. Not all at once, but in controlled experiments. Nothing changed as a result.

Maybe we just have to be patient and stick to plan. For me, the alternative, eating the SAD, is not an option. I'm in excellent health and still have no pain. My arthritis shows in my fingers, but is painless. I'm still doing my morning walks and have been sticking to my Yoga classes.

Use your journal to log your self experimentation. You know you have our support.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 07:25

BF:

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the support. I did cut back on the Splenda, a small cup with 2 packs. I know its still not good for me, but ..... I gave up diet soda Jan 2. I was up to three 2 liters a day and I knew that was bad so I stopped. I think I may have been replacing with the coffee and Splenda. I know 6 packs in a coffee is a lot, but for some reason, Splenda just doesn't taste that sweet to me and stevia leaves a bad aftertaste. Oh well, trial and error I guess. I have gone down another 2 pounds this morning, which puts my total at 9 pounds in just a little over a month. That is actually pretty good so I think I will stop stressing and just stick to the plan.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 11:32

You can reduce the carbs by using a liquid Splenda, it's the powder filler that has the carbs. Can now find liquid in many grocers plain, or as a SF flavored coffee syrup. But the main issue is that artificial sweeteners continue to fuel the desire for sweet foods, and carbs in general. Having a big sweet coffee in the am may cause sugar cravings later in the afternoon, you will want a Keto cookie, not meat and a hard-boiled egg.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-19, 11:43

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Welcome!

I think switching to liquid Splenda in your coffee is a good idea to start (I agree that stevia is gross). Then gradually reducing the amount as your tastebuds adjust to low carb food.

For exercise, make sure you're focusing on something that will build muscle rather than cardio.

I'd start tracking everything. Weigh and measure and track every bite you eat for a while. This help you collect some data and give you something to evaluate about where your sticking points might be. Use an app like Joy or Chronometer.

But you may find that just reducing the carbs from the Splenda helps.