Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 14:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust
You won't find it at any local stores. Liquid Splenda isn't legally sold in the US, except to food manufacturers. Anyone who is selling you liquid splenda is selling a black market item, and it's with the disapproval of the sucralose manufacturers.

That being said, liquid stevia is something easily found at health food stores, and I've used sugar free DaVinci syrup as my sweetener in lots of recipes to keep the carb count lower.

Aha!! So that explains why I can't find it! I'll be in Canada this summer so maybe I'll pick some up then. Thanks for he info!
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 15:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Liquid Splenda isn't legally sold in the US, except to food manufacturers.

HUH? You're saying it's illegal? Did congress pass a law about liquid Splenda? Can't say as I've heard about that before. It might be the company would prefer to disallow it, but there are a couple of companies selling Splenda Syrup. I bought some from a company called locarber (I think) and another one from Sweetzfree (I think).

What law prevents the sales of liquid splenda?
  #108   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 16:49

Plan: NS
Stats: 300/294/160 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:Yup, it's there
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
HUH? You're saying it's illegal? Did congress pass a law about liquid Splenda? What law prevents the sales of liquid splenda?

I think what she is saying it cannot be legally sold in the US - the illegal part would be on the seller's side, not the recipient. I read up on it a while back, has to do with the licensing agreement through the manufacturer - this is where it would be "illegal" to sell in the U.S. as stated in the licensing agreement. I'm guessing that the "splenda syrup" that you've purchased is most likely some sort of fiber supplement sweetened with splenda, thus giving you "liquid splenda," but it's not liquid splenda that is manufactured as that.

Kind of funny if ya think about it... imagine black market liquid splenda - who'd have thought??
  #109   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 13:40
"Slaying My Demons"

Plan: Keto
Stats: 262.2/189.2/155 Female 5'8"
BF:Hell Yes!
Progress: 68%
Default Moderate Carb Bowl Muffin

I'm on a high protein, moderate carb, lower fat WOE. I've been following the Bowl Muffin thread for some time now. I finally got it together and got some Atkins Baking Mix. They don't carry CarbQuik at Fred Meyer's up here anymore. This morning I made a very nummy Bowl Muffin. This does have a higher carb count then many of you can afford on the lower carb WOE's. I'm posting this because there will be some people who might be able to fit it into their plan and also because it's fun to see what can be done with a Bowl Muffin. It might also be good for folk who need a carb boost for one reason or another.

Apple Cinnamon Bowl Muffin

24 g. Atkins Bake Mix
20 g. Old Fashioned Oatmeal (blend in coffee grinder)
1 T Flax Seed (blend in coffee grinder)
1/4 t Cinnamon
2 oz grated apple w/peel
1 egg
1 T Caramel Syrup (sugar free)
1/2 t Vanilla
4 drops Splenda Liquid

Blend with enough water to make a thick batter. Nuke until done.
319 calories, 11 g fat (2 sat, 3 poly, 3 mono), 34 carbs, 12 fiber, 24 g protein

I sprayed this with fake butter spray because I had used all of my calories for this meal in the muffin. I then put sugar free maple syrup on it. It was to die for! Really good. The only thing that I might do in the future, that would make it out standing, would be to cut up a few raisins and add them to the batter.

Thank you for sharing all of your ideas. This is a great thread!

Signey
  #110   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 14:58

Plan: atkins/pesco-veggie
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 64.5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

thanks for posting this, i'm no longer anywhere near extreme low carb levels, but i still avoid white flour/refined sugar, and i love the idea of using oats like this!
  #111   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 18:31
"Slaying My Demons"

Hi Pecan,
I love oats too and I seem to put them in everything I bake. They're just so good for you. Such a perfect food. High protein, low glycemic, good quality carb. I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Sig
  #112   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 19:13

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Signey, this reads like the perfecect food for heavy workout days. Thanks for sharing.
  #113   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 14:08
"Slaying My Demons"

Hi Dawna,
This is a good workout food. That's what I was thinking about when I put it together. I made this again with a few chopped up raisins and it was really good. I like it just fine though without the raisins. It reminds me of those soft oatmeal apple cookies. It has that flavor. This has become a comfort food for me and I'm so pleased. It's nice to have something like this that takes the place of the naughty stuff and does it well.
Sig
  #114   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 15:48
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy101
I think what she is saying it cannot be legally sold in the US - the illegal part would be on the seller's side, not the recipient. I read up on it a while back, has to do with the licensing agreement through the manufacturer - this is where it would be "illegal" to sell in the U.S. as stated in the licensing agreement. I'm guessing that the "splenda syrup" that you've purchased is most likely some sort of fiber supplement sweetened with splenda, thus giving you "liquid splenda," but it's not liquid splenda that is manufactured as that.

Kind of funny if ya think about it... imagine black market liquid splenda - who'd have thought??

Ok, I'm getting overly picky probably but I wouldn't call breach of contract illegal. You aren't breaking a law, you're breaking a contract you make with another party. It doesn't carry any criminal penalties. And lots of times it doesn't even carry any penalities especially if it is unenforceable.

All the liquid splenda I've gotten has been water + splenda and maybe some citric acid as a preservative.

Quote:
Sweetzfree is a clear liquid syrup base, highly concentrated, and made soley from 100% pure Sucralose in a purified water concentrate. It dissolves fully and instantly in any food or beverage. It is so highly concentrated, that you use very little. Sweetzfree can be used in cooking, baking, desserts, beverages, or anywhere else you use sugar or other sweet flavoring substances. Sweetzfree, no matter how much you use, or how sweet you make things, adds absolutely NO calories, NO carbs, and NO Maltodextrin fillers, or anything else to your sweet creations other than a totally naturally sweet taste!

Actually, it is so concentrated it is very difficult to use.
  #115   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 20:58
"Slaying My Demons"

Default Cocoa Cookies ala Bowl Muffin (moderate carb)

I've been experimenting this evening and I've come up with an idea that should be played with. "Bowl Muffin Cookies"

I made up my batter and dropped it by tablespoons onto an ungreased glass pie plate. Nuked it for about two min. until they were dry. Then I put them in a 225 degree oven for a half hour on a perforated pizza pan. I suspect that a dehydrator would also do the trick. You just want to pull that extra moisture out of the cookie. They aren't going to have the "short" quality that a real cookie would have. However; what they will do nicely is be a portable meal that can be stashed in your purse or glove compartment.

My recipe is again a bit higher in carbs for those of you on a lower carb plan. I would encourage playing with this idea in the hopes of coming up with lower carb recipes. I'm thinking that a ginger snap would work really nicely.

Cocoa Cookies ala Bowl Muffin

24 grms. Atkins Bake Mix
20 grms. old fashioned oatmeal (grind in coffee grinder)
1 Tbls. flax seed (grind in coffee grinder)
2 Tbls. cocoa powder
1 egg
1 Tbls. sugar free syrup of choice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbls. water
Splenda to taste

Mix together and proceed as described above.

For the whole batch: 327 cal, 12 grms fat (3 sat, 3 poly, 3 mono), 31 carbs, 13 fiber, 26 pro,

Signey

Last edited by Signey : Mon, May-23-05 at 21:00. Reason: forgot the nutritional data
  #116   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 13:19
Experimenter

BF:

Bowl Muffin Cookies! Great idea! I might try it using coconut.
  #117   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 13:31

Plan: NS
Stats: 300/294/160 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:Yup, it's there
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ok, I'm getting overly picky probably but I wouldn't call breach of contract illegal. You aren't breaking a law, you're breaking a contract you make with another party. It doesn't carry any criminal penalties. And lots of times it doesn't even carry any penalities especially if it is unenforceable.

Yeah, you're right - The only penalities would be $$$ spent on litigation - and no doubtedly a hefty sum to settle. Illegal splenda - go figure!
  #118   ^
Old Sun, May-29-05, 23:14
The Optimist

Plan: LC mutt
Stats: 482/416/250 Female 66"
BF:no/clue/atall
Progress: 28%

I've been doing so well for my first three weeks here and haven't cheated or even been tempted to cheat. Reading this thread has nearly got my tongue lolling onto my keyboard.

I'm curious about why, in all the thousands of posts I have read (no kidding) on this forum in the food section, there is not a lot of discussion about the 'blending' of flour-ish sources, as much as there is about the blending of sweetener sources.

Does blending for example, carbquick and almond meal and vanilla whey protein powder and flax meal together provide some disgusting taste? Because it seems to me that a blend of stuff could save on money, allow a nice mix of cal/carb/texture/nutrients/protein, and you could actually make up a mix once a week of blended stuff and just keep it in the fridge in a plastic bowl... with a scoop... scoop it into your bowl, dump in whatever else and be done. (Come to think of it, if you had a mix of liquids that were common, that could probably be done with them, too.)

If people can eat a little bit of meal'd oats in something, how about the 1-minute superthin oats left as they are (don't they go a lot farther carb-wise in distribution 'cause of their thinness?) with something with chocolate chunks, like one of those nobake cookie flavors? (If I wasn't still in induction and hot for chocolate at the moment I'd try it myself. :-))

oregano, red peppers, chopped pepperoni, and some mozz or pepperjack would be divine in one of these I bet.

A last question, for those of you who've done all this experimenting: Maybe this is a stupid idea... what if you scooped up half the mix, and put an egg (yolk unbroken) there, and then put the rest of the mix on top? Would it cook the egg and you'd cut into it like a molten-lava choc cake except egg? Or does something horrible happen if you put an egg yolk in the microwave?

I love this thread. I'm so grateful to all the people who post their ideas. Even slight diffs and what-didn't-work give new ideas. It's finding edible stuff that is also affordable and fast/easy that is pretty key to keeping people--particularly people new to LC--on the plan.

OM
  #119   ^
Old Sun, May-29-05, 23:38
"Slaying My Demons"

Hi Om
As long as you are on induction I would avoid oatmeal and other grains. As you up the amount of carbs you can have oatmeal becomes more do able. It's still pretty spendy though. 20 grms of oatmeal, that's the amount in the Apple Cinnamon Bowl Muffin, has 14 grams carb and two grams of fiber. Be sure that your WOE will support that much carb at one meal.
I've done as you've suggested and made up mixes of food combinations that I use frequently. It works great! I would suggest that if you are going to put flax meal in it that you only make up a supply that will be used in a week or so and keep it in the fridge. Flax seed once it is ground goes rancid quickly and should be refrigerated.
Don't know about mixing the liquid flavors. Those to me tend to be something I like to leave to the end to suit my taste at the moment. They're the ingredient that puts the signature on the finished product. Just me though. I'm sure that you could make up concoctions that could be stored in the fridge for a week or so.
I'm thinking that your egg idea is one that you might want to experiment with. You might just get a hard boiled yolk in the middle. I guess it depends on how long you want to cook it.
This is a good thread. Couldn't agree with you more. I've really enjoyed reading and being a part of it. Thanks again you guys!
Sig
  #120   ^
Old Mon, May-30-05, 01:25
~strange as angels~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

Hmm... I wonder if a 1/2 tablespoon of rolled oats in a bowl muffin with the Davinci cookie dough flavored syrup and a dash of cinnamon would be like an oatmeal cookie?