Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 13:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 257.2/252.8/165 Female 5'9"
BF:less than it was!
Progress: 5%
Default Carbs every other day?

I'm watching the Dr. Oz show today and he has Chris Powell on the show also know as "ABC's Extreme Weight Loss" personal trainer guru. He is talking about his book " Choose More, Lose More for Life " It is used to fight carb addiction. He uses the concept fight carbs with fat but also recommends eating carbs every other day to overcome carb addiction and failure on a low carb diet.

Sneak Peek: Chris Powell on How Eating Fat Can Stop Carb Cravings

Originally aired on 3/24/2015 seen on www.doctoroz.com

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/sur...d=4129518821001

I'm curious to see if anyone has tried anything like this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 14:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Seems kind of counterproductive to me. The more I feed the carb beast, the more it wants.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 14:16

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I think those of us with a weight problem have an insulin problem. We have an oversized insulin response to food, especially to carbs, and every other day simply isn't enough time to clear the insulin. A big load of carbs every other day would still leave us insulin-dominant.

The video wouldn't load for me, though, so I don't know how much carb we're talking about.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 14:22

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

It's the latest craze for those that "just can't give up bread!!" (or whatever) Fine by me, I just hate when months or years later they say "oh I tried low-carb, it doesn't work!"
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 15:34

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

To save some time, here's the gist of the clip I saw:

--eat a tablespoon of almond butter with a big glass of water 30 minutes before a meal.
--supposedly this slows down the entry of carbohydrate foods into the pyloric valve at the lower end of the stomach.
--supposedly this prevents immediate blood glucose rush and the consequent quick rise and quick drop in blood sugar.
--that means you won't eat as much at the meal and carb cravings are prevented

The theory is that 100 calories of almond butter will prevent the consumption of 500 calories of pasta.

Believe that?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 16:14

Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Dr. Oz is my personal version of the devil.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 18:02

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I just don't buy any of that. Carbs are carbs and they have an insulin response. Once you learn how carbs affect you personally, you go from there. Me, I couldn't possibly do what was suggested on Oz…I simply **would**not**lose. Carbs every other day would stimulate further cravings for carbs, so it would be a never ending merry go round for me. And no lasting weight loss. Nope, not for me.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-24-15, 19:56

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

What, a spoon of almond butter is going to make you loose weight?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-15, 06:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
It's the latest craze for those that "just can't give up bread!!" (or whatever) Fine by me, I just hate when months or years later they say "oh I tried low-carb, it doesn't work!"

It's truly bizarre; some of the folks I know who are the least sympathetic to people who have problems with drinking or gambling or other addictive behaviors would walk through a wall to get bread.

They simply do not recognize that they are addicted.

Yet over and over we see "schemes" that allow people access to their addictive substance because the people pushing the schemes are also the ones who can't give up their "food drug."

I know it's very common to say, "It's all very well to give up smoking or alcohol because you don't have to smoke or drink. But I have to eat!"

Yes. But you don't have to eat wheat or sugar, do you?

Give them up. I can sit at a table with people eating all kinds of things, and it doesn't bother me.

Because I'm no longer addicted

Last edited by WereBear : Wed, Mar-25-15 at 07:12.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-15, 07:02

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

There are several diet books that follow this model. I know because I tried a number of them in 2013 & 2014 before finding my doctor and going low carb, low sugar, high fat at the end of 2014.

The premise is the same. A week or 10 days of going no/low carb followed by days of alternating between eating carbs and not eating carbs. It's supposed to trick your metabolism. What it does is detox me from carbs and then gets me going on binge carbing.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-15, 07:10

Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

I agree - wheat, sugar and those types of carbs are poison in my book. I, too, can sit and watch (in horror most times) what others eat and not be bothered in the least.

Unleashing the carb monster is the worst thing I can think of - if you're enjoying freedom from hunger and cravings, why wake that beast up? Let him sleep and slowly die in the corner!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-15, 07:50
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

I am a serious sugar addict, and as an addict I know I would use every excuse, every justification in order to get my drug.

The only way I got through it was 3 months of the following rules:

No sugar
Forget weight loss, eat to maintain
Giant breakfast, 1000+ calories

I've tried and tried over the years to get over sugar and binge eating, this is the first time I've managed this long (153 days).

I agree that alternate day carbs is just feeding the beast and doesn't deal with true food addiction. What it does do is create another book or program that people pay money for because they think 'I can eat what I crave and still lose weight'.

People don't design programs like this for health, they do it to make money off of people who don't know any better.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-15, 15:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

This is off topic....but I noticed that beside this post is and arrow and "Moved" beside it. This has happened on a couple of my posts. What is it and what does it mean? When this happens, it doesn't show views and number of responses....

Thanks,
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-15, 09:58

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkelley36
This is off topic....but I noticed that beside this post is and arrow and "Moved" beside it. This has happened on a couple of my posts. What is it and what does it mean? When this happens, it doesn't show views and number of responses....

Thanks,

Just means the moderator thought it was better suited to a different category and moved it. Keeps the conversation going, etc.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-30-15, 10:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
Just means the moderator thought it was better suited to a different category and moved it. Keeps the conversation going, etc.

Thanks!!! I have had it done a couple of times...