Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 07:58

Plan: ketogenics
Stats: 154/153/130
BF:
Progress: 4%
Cool Any students?

Hi!

I just started lo-carbing.

I am really aware that what I was eating before was not making me feel good and I often had the brain-fog , but as I am doing my finals (YIKES) I didn't think I'd have the energy to loose weight. I'm hoping this WOE is going to give me more energy not less (and more brainpower!!)

Are there any other students doing this? I think there are going to be tough times (like in the bar!)

Claire
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-02, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking Hi Claire!

Hey.. yeah I am a student.. I find it hard sometimes aswell, due to the bar scene and pizza nights... but I have been doing really well and if you are motivated enough... and want it bad enough.. nothing will get in your way!!!

Good luck!!!

Tarah
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 17:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 205/205/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Default It's tough

I guess try to drink things that are low in carbs and drink a lot of water the next day. Miller Lits is probably the lowest beer, rum/Vodka and diet Coke. Stay away from the Red Bull...not good! And yes, pizza night is tough! It's the worst when all of your friends are sitting there eating a pizza that looks SO good, and the are just loving it up. You will get more energy...I think. The only time I didn't was when I was going on almost 0 carbs. Stay around 17-20 and you'll feel great. Also, go for a run/walk or anything when you know you're going to the bar that night. You'll feel a lot better when having some drinks.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 23:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 172.5/165.5/130
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default I totally agree

Hey guys, I am a student too and I can relate to what you are saying 100%...the bars are hard...lots of my friends and my sisters love to go out and party and it is very hard to do all of that and try to LC too....but, I am working on it I do find that my friends are pretty supportive about it, sort of curious about the whole thing...same with my boyfriend....I am having a hard time motivating myself to workout though...I do not know why. I did work out tongiht though, and I am proud of myself for that. I have been LC for over a week with one cheat after the bars...and my ketostix will not turn positive. I have been being so good, I am not sure if I am just broken or what. I know that some people never turn the stix purple or whatever, but I would sure like it. I have lost about 8 pounds so far but no positive reading on the stix...what is the problem????? Anyway, keep posting...it is good to hear from other students and how you are LC while in school...good luck!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 03:00
Registered Member

Plan: Aitkins
Stats: 198/187/139
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default that pizza

I've heard a good piece of advice regarding pizza here:
Have your share, eat all the topping and leave the bread
Then you get all the tasty bit, and the fatty bit, but not the carby bit.

I havent tried it yet, but shall be remembering it when that fateful pizza night appears...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 03:14
Registered Member

BF:
Default Good Luck all of us!!!

There really should be a "College Student" support forum, well because we live a very different life from the real world and I would love to hear everybodies advices and problems. Sunchick...good luck, 8lbs. is very good and you must be doing something right. Keep the Carbs low and excercise...that's all I can offer.

SERIOUSLY, somebody start a college forum!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 12:02
Registered Member

BF:
Default how do we do that

I think having a college forum is a great idea...but how do we do that? I am not really good at computers and am not all that familiar with this site with regard to its technicalities...but I really think it would be so beneficial...if we can't, we can always start a group journal for college kids, can't we? I am not sure exactly how that works either, but I did see that as one of the site locations. What do the rest of you guys think??? I know I am going to need some support getting through the weekend without eating boxes of granola bars again Hope everyone is having a good, LC day!!! Oh yeah, what kind of scale do you all use to weigh yourselves? a digital one or the other kind? Which one do you think is more accurate?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 12:37
Registered Member

BF:
Default HI

I'll try to write one of the people in charge here and sugest something. Keep me posted on your success sunchick. I'm trying to reach 175 before spring break...13 pounds to go, going to be close. This is my second time on LC and it works, you just have to be commited to it. Once the pounds start dropping fast, you'll have no problem in motivation then. I suggest buying the book if it's your first time. It'll give you the in's and out's and what to do and what not to do. Drink water, smile, and think of how hot we're going to be!!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 13:27
Registered Member

BF:
Default sweet attack

oh my gosh...I want sweet food so much!!! I just had a very nice egg salad and shredded cheese lunch and now I am CRAVING sweets so much!!!!!!! This is the hardest part for me. I heard that this is supposed to subside, but it is still in full effect for me Times like this I just want to give in and say "who cares"...i must stay motivated...I just wish it weren't so hard for me. All I want to do is eat cereal and frozen yogurt and candy!!! bad bad bad. Maybe I will just drink some water and take a nap and see if my cravings will relax for a bit. Do you guys get any cravings like this??? If so, what do you do???
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 15:04
Registered Member

BF:
Default Yes.

Like I've mentioned before in these forums, pizza is my weakness. At least I can eat the cheese and toppings, but I really want the whole thing. Usually when I start thinking about cheating and saying to the heck with this, I drink a couple glasses of water, and go for a walk around the block. That's the advise someone gave me here. If it's sweets...buy lots of sugar free Jell-o. I like to exercise when I'm feeling vulnerable...I feel better when I'm done and I then remember why I'm on this diet, I remember I'm doing something good for me and my appearance. Sometimes I'll just do a few sit ups. Just a little something to take my mind off of what I want to eat, but I can't. Also, I come here...read some people's messages while drinking a glass of water and I tend to feel better.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 11:01
Registered Member

Stats: 210/210/160
BF:
Default You aredoing really good!

Nelso!

I noticed that you have done really well.. and looks like we are around the same age.. how long has it taken you??.. any tricks?? or tips???

Take Care,
A student... Tarah
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: BFL
Stats: 115/115/105
BF:

Hey everyone!

I totally agree, low carbing at college is tough. But i admit that i do cheat. I found this 'No Carb' chocolate bar. I'm sure it's too good to be true, but in my 'weak' moments it's nice to have some sort of comfort

Good Luck Everyone!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 17:59

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Just wanted to say hi...

Around Chirstmas this site changed a bit so this whole Teens and Student area is totally new to me. When I started this plan (10/11/01), I asked in the general forum whether there was "anyone like me?" and I got no responses. I mean, it didn't even seem like anyone was over 5'9", under forty, and female...lol. Don't get me wrong this site has been amazing. I found my way here after I gained 40 lbs over the past 4 years (senior year of HS, and then three years of college). I really don't want to look for a job and the fat girl applying. I really don't know I let this happen. It was almost like one day I looked in the mirror and couldn't believe the transformation to fat. If anyone has any questions or anything, I've been here awhile and may be able to help. If you guys start a log or something, let me know...I need some help on my last 8 lbs..

Good Luck and I would love to hear about everyone's progress,
Erin

Alex - what brand is that chocolate bar? I could use them. I have low-carb ice cream at my school and I am constantly dragging my bf out to get me some (during the weak moments), and it would be nice to give him a break.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 18:36

Stats: 140/138/120
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation please, what no-carb chococolate bar?

hi!

i'm new to the forum and I have such a hard time on the weekends too! i cheated this past weekend and of course I gained ALL my weight back! someone previously (sorry i forget) stated that you cheated one day, and now your keto-stick won't turn positive. That's right--a SMALL bit of cheating does that! sometimes you gain all your weight back the next day!

Please tell me what this no-carb chocolate bar is! where do we find it? thanks!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 21:20

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default alittle correction...

I think the weight gain that you're talking about is actually water weight gain. Carbs cause us to retain water, so when you cheat your body is holding onto extra water. Especially in the beginning of Atkins, your body is getting rid of all of it's excess water so a little mess up can cause the scale to rise considerably.

Erin