Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 10:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Health expert advises using Atkins diet in moderation"

Health expert advises using Atkins diet in moderation

5/18/2003 5:00 AM By: Medstar

link to article

One health professional suggests that although low carbohydrate/high protein diets are successful in helping people lose weight, people should beware of extreme forms of these diets.

In 2002, the diets attracted many loyal followers throughout the country.

The diets advocate eating foods such as steak and bacon for breakfast and a couple of burger patties for lunch.

"I don't think any health professional, whether it's a physician, a registered dietitian, would advocate the extreme high protein diets that have been popular the last few years," Althea Zanecosky, RD, said. "However, many people have had successful weight loss on those diets."

New studies prove that many people can lose more weight on the low carbohydrate/high protein diet than by changing their eating habits to include mostly low-fat foods.

However, health experts warn that these diets may be too extreme.

"The body needs a certain amount of carbohydrate every day for the brain to function and the super high protein diets really don't meet the minimum quota," Zanecosky said. "Studies have shown that the average adult needs about 400 calories worth of carbohydrate a day. Four hundred calories is a hundred grams."

The popular low carbohydrate/high protein Atkins diet only allows 20 grams of protein at the beginning.

Zanecosky advocates moderation. She said that people can use the Atkins diet principle to lose weight, yet still consume the minimum quota of carbohydrates that studies have shown people's bodies need.

"Lunch might be easy in terms of taking a piece of boneless chicken or ordering a grilled chicken sandwich and taking the roll off, combining it with a salad," Zanecosky said.

Zanecosky suggested substituting fruit and cheese for the bacon and eggs the Atkins diet allots for breakfast.

For dinner, she suggested eating a heart-healthy fish like salmon, paired with lots of colorful vegetables and a small serving of rice.

These meals are still low enough in carbohydrates to promote weight loss, Zanecosky said. She believes they also consist of a healthy nutritional balance.

"There is a moderate mid-ground that many of us can strive to get at during the time that we're trying to reach weight loss, skewing the scales slightly towards higher protein has been a successful way for many people," Zanecosky said.

Low carbohydrate/high protein diets are attracting so much attention that a brand new, larger group will test the Atkins diet during a year long study.

The study is sponsored by the National Institutes of Health.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 11:55

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

It is not a Hi-Protein diet, dammit. Also, their own suggestions (Lean Meat) increase Protein. When I eat red meat, my Protein is between 15-30%. When I eat fish, it is almost 50%. 100g is an obscene minimum for Carbs. Alot of people CANNOT lose weight at 100g. Some even gain weight at less than 100g. I hope that 20g Protein part was a typo.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 13:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
"I don't think any health professional, whether it's a physician, a registered dietitian, would advocate the extreme high protein diets that have been popular the last few years,"

Phew! Good thing I'm on a high FAT diet, not a high protein one.

Quote:
"The body needs a certain amount of carbohydrate every day for the brain to function

Nope! The brain functions quite well on a steady supply of ketones and what few cells in the body actually require glucose to function are supplied by gluconeogenesis through the liver as well as the 20+ grams of carb that people take in even during induction phases of Atkins. Many other plans allow more carbs right from the beginning.
I do wish they'd quit repeating this nonsense or provide some solid medical evidence to back it up (hint...there isn't any).

Quote:
The diets advocate eating foods such as steak and bacon for breakfast and a couple of burger patties for lunch.

Yes, those are on the allowed lists of foods, but even the Atkins plan requires you to have a minimum of 3 cups of veggies a day, so let's add some mushrooms with that steak and a salad with those burger patties. I have yet to eat steak for breakfast and I only occasionally have bacon or even eggs for that matter. If you're not getting a lot of carbs from other allowed sources such as cream, cheese, etc...you can actually have quite a bit more veggie and still stay within your 20 gram allowance even on induction.

For pity's sake READ THE BOOK!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 01:54

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

30 years ago the debate was whether you can get glucose from protein or not. (Atkins vs. Jean Meyers). Atkins was right of course and you can.. However the literature that says you can only get glucose from carbs is stil in the libraries so it is still quoted even though proven false.

By the way, since excess protein becomes glucose so we can't eat all the protein we want.

danny