Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-19, 10:19

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default Protein content of Beef Fat??

Finally realized that real , pure straight from the steer beef fat which is not rendered in any way is a combination of fat AND proteins.

But cannot find any nutritional data on beef fat. All the data is based on pure meat ( beef) or pure fat, ie tallow

While the amount is minimal, it is there, and it is proteins. If anyone know, please pipe up.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 10:43

BF:

Still searching for information.

Not listed here , either, only as tallow.
https://www.feedtables.com/

Maybe need to look at a bag of pork rinds !!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 11:56

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Maybe the info is not available anywhere because it is just too variable... i.e. depends on the particular cow the beef fat came from. Then again, I've always wondered how any nutrition guides could give generalized info on the calories from fat and calories from protein on something like beef anyway since every piece of meat is visibly different with some a lot more marbled than others. I've always figured that they just take a bunch of samples and then give us an average. Seems like they could do that with unrendered beef fat as well.

But maybe nobody has ever bothered because very few people consume unrendered beef fat. Just cooking it is going to separate out (render) a lot of the fat content.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 12:06

BF:

LOL, i think you are right. No one cares.

In the livestock industry it is about puling together the leftovers that can be mixed well and pelleted. In our own quest to understand our dietary needs, we have torn down the foods into the buts, forgetting to look at the whole.

I can only say for certain that there IS protein in the beef suet aka beef fat. IT is made of cells stuffed with fat. lol

Sometimes I think about what the indigenous people of the far north ate long ago.... the amount of blubber in a caribou, seal, polar bear, , whale... imagining from leanest to fattest.. . how much of that blubber was eaten.... though some used for whale oil... none the less much of it eaten. Some protein within that blubber....
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 12:23

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I still have a little left of my boiled corned beef from the other day.
It's like a piece of that expensive Japanese beef with the fat heavily marbled among the meat, truly a delicacy.

The other day DH brought home 2 big t-bones. Obviously came from an old cow with little fat and very chewy. Then yesterday we had a couple of ribeyes that came from a young heifer or steer and it was so marbled, not just in chunks of fat but well distributed throughout the meat and was melt in your mouth good. It's amazing in the differences in beef with fat.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 12:36

BF:

Some day I will get to try that heavily marbled " beef" from Asia. Love the cooking shows, and boy saw a nice big peice gently sauted.... Swear it was 75% fat and a marbleing of the meat. Just warmed up, not seriously cooked thru. OMG I would have loved to sit down to THAT meal.

Bought corned beef yesterday-- all full of water of course, but it all is at the groceries now. $1.77 is really like $3 a pound... but only available at that price NOW. Rest of the year they charge $5 a pound. YUMMMY. Bought potatoes and a cabbage to go with it. Forgot to get the carrots. My oldest will steal all the meat-- so got 4 packages!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 12:44

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

A lot of beef has been going to market in the past 30 days, especially two weeks ago. I was reading the market report at the two auctions we use. It's because the grasses haven't started growing here yet and they are out of hay and feed is so expensive.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 13:43

BF:

Yes, that will send more to market. Do you remember the scorching summer a few years ago-- cant remembre now, maybe 6-8 years ago.... the herds were cut in half because lack of pasture AND hay from the northeast was being shipped to the MID west- drove our prices here thru the roof...... and the prices never really hit their original amounts.

Drove down the price of beef at the time. The market was flooded. Of course the gas prices were sky- high and that kept the price at the grocery a bit. But the cattle ranchers did not get their fair share for that beef.

Ya Im a beef eater and proud of it.

The cattle herd take years to replenish. Just so others can understand..... little over half the calves are boys. Only the best few get to have a herd of his own; and the remaining are females.... some must go to market to pay the bills and the few carefully selelcted ones grow up and start calving at 2 years old and annually there after. A good selection process evaluates each cow for her ability to raise a fattened calf to weaning--- only the better cows stay.

Years ago early in my years with sheep, I was tired of problems with birthing. Looked thru the records and dumped the problem ones. Now no problems with birthing. Then I moved the flock and the shearer didnt clean his tools, giving my sheep hoof rot. grrrr. After years of fighting THAT, I again culled all with foot rot, even my favorites. A ewe with ouchy feet cannot produce twin lambs for market even if she was doing so before.

Now no foot problems.

There is much that goes into the privilege of walking into a grocery and buying a package of beef tips... for any price.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 01:54
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Brisket is so cheap now I feed it to my dogs as a treat instead of the usual chicken -- raw of course. I save the brisket point cut for myself
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 08:57

BF:

lol, bet they love it, Mike.

A hog farmer in VT doesn't have cheap scraps for sale ever, it is his dogs' regular ration. So even his dogs eat organic grass fed!