Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 04:38
Registered Member

Plan: protein diet and adkins, slenderwiegh, tae-bo
Stats: 220/158/145
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default low carb beer!

I found this on the news and thought it looked interesting!

'Low-carb' beer to debut

By Jim Kirk, Chicago Tribune
May 2, 2002 12:47 AM

May 2--With "low carb" the buzz diet phrase of the moment, it shouldn't come as a surprise that beer--probably not something high on Dr. Atkins menu--would follow suit.

So Anheuser-Busch, which launched the low-carbohydrate Michelob Ultra last December in Denver, Tucson, Arizona and central Florida, plans to roll out the brand in Chicago, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and the rest of Florida on May 13, the company said Wednesday.

A national rollout is planned for September.

Michelob Ultra has 96 calories--about average for a light beer--but only 2.9 grams of carbohydrates per 12-ounce serving, roughly half of what normal light beers carry.

Teaser ads begin appearing in local newspapers this week, using the famous Michelob red ribbon and the line: "On May 13, you'll begin to look at beer in a whole new light."

Outdoor and newspaper ads beginning May 13 will carry a picture of the bottle with the line: "Lose the carbs. Not the taste."

St. Louis-based Whalon handles the brand's advertising.

A-B executives cite a better-than-expected response in its initial markets as the decision to rollout the product nationally.

"We couldn't have anticipated the consumer demand," said Dave Peacock, vice president of high-end brands at A-B. "With the focus on low carbohydrate diets today, we think it has a unique niche in the market."

It's also the latest experimentation with A-B's Michelob brand. Earlier this year, the brand experimented with ads aimed at older drinkers--a first in a category that has continually focused on the biggest consumers of beer, young drinkers.

But as Boomers age, more consumer products companies are adjusting marketing techniques and rolling out a slew of products to appeal to consumers as they age.

So far, the brand appeals to a broader age range than other Michelob products, Peacock said.

Michelob Ultra is also coming out at a time of new product activity in the light beer category. Miller Brewing Co.-owned Leinenkugel is coming into Chicago with its first light beer this summer, as is Sam Adams.

What's not clear yet is how much Michelob Ultra will cannibalize from its core franchise, including top-selling Bud Light and Michelob Light. Executives contend there is room for Ultra.

In the summer of the "malternative," though, it may be hard to tell.

To see more of the Chicago Tribune, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.chicago.tribune.com/

(c) 2002, Chicago Tribune. Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 07:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/288.2/199 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:38%/??/25%
Progress: 5%
Exclamation New Low Carb Beer

Hey Gang I saw this article and thought it was interesting

Marketing News / iSyndicate

'Low-carb' beer to debut

By Jim Kirk, Chicago Tribune
May 2, 2002 12:47 AM

May 2--With "low carb" the buzz diet phrase of the moment, it shouldn't come as a surprise that beer--probably not something high on Dr. Atkins menu--would follow suit.

So Anheuser-Busch, which launched the low-carbohydrate Michelob Ultra last December in Denver, Tucson, Arizona and central Florida, plans to roll out the brand in Chicago, Baltimore, Washington, D.C., and the rest of Florida on May 13, the company said Wednesday.

A national rollout is planned for September.

Michelob Ultra has 96 calories--about average for a light beer--but only 2.9 grams of carbohydrates per 12-ounce serving, roughly half of what normal light beers carry.

That sounds like a great beer for special occasions
Can't wait to try it

Sonja
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 02:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Of course, Miller Lite, with only 1 or 2 more grams per beer, has been around for ages (I've been hearing about it since 1998!).

Maybe they'll just "rebrand" it and call it Miller LoCarb ...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 04:15
Registered Member

Plan: protein diet and adkins, slenderwiegh, tae-bo
Stats: 220/158/145
BF:
Progress: 83%

Yeah but 2 is better than 4 and God knows I hope it tastes better than Miller Lite.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-07-02, 16:56
Registered Member

Only one way to find out... when you get a taste, come back here to THIS thread and describe?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 21:30
Registered Member

Stats: 285/199/130
BF:
Progress: 55%
Thumbs up Husband says YUM!

We bought some tonight and hubby drank three, said it was very good. I'm not a beer drinker, so I didn't try it. Anyway, he said it was great.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 05:14

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: Lite Beer

It seems they all have been jumping on the band wagon as of late....hubby enjoys Corona Light....it coming in around 5 carbs per beer...

http://www.corona.com/coronalight.html
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 11:14

Plan: Atkin's Diet
Stats: 205/197/152
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default tried it, liked it

My husband and I are both new to the low-carb WOE and we tried the mich ultra and loved it. Tastes very slightly watered-down but we are used to darker beers.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 11:17

Plan: Atkin's Diet
Stats: 205/197/152
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default 2.9 carbs per serving

Forgot to mention that it has 2.9 carbs per serving (12 oz.)... We will definately be buying this product again, we like it much better than miller lite.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 07:37

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Post Lowcarb Beer, obesity, fast food...

This morning on my way to work, I heard a commercial on the radio for Michelob "Ultra", a new, lowcarb beer from Anheiser Busch...

It struck me as odd, since most of the world (other than us) pay little attention to carbs. Now, suddenly carbs in beer is a enough of a concern that a manufacturer is hanging its hat on the lowcarb bandwagon. They claim the beer has only 2.9 gms of carbs per 12oz bottle.

Also watched a segment on CNN last night that addressed the American obesity problem (more than 50% of Americans are overweight) as it relates to the Southwest Airlines news etc. In all the discussions, not one mention of carbs or the screwed up food pyramid. Focused instead on whether food manufacturers and fast food chains should be held legally responsible for our health as tobacco pushers now are.

I'm so glad that I know about carbs and sugars and can be comfortable in the knowledge that I have educated myself in lifetime healthy eating habbits...

Oh, BTW, they also addresses Super Sizing at McDonald's. Apparently it really only saves you about $.08 but adds 1,000 additional cals and a huge amount of carbs. Gee, there's a surprise...I wish I could lose a pound for everytime I've uttered Super Size it in my lifetime...

Donald
Attached Images
File Type: gif ahomerdonutchasing.gif (18.3 KB, 249 views)
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 16:44
Registered Member

I hear you on the ODD...

I find myself ranting at the television as completely differently focused specials on obesity and diabetes air, practically side by side, interspersed with commercials for low-fat products and highly-processed fast foods.

I could just scream sometimes... there doesn't seem to be a 'big picture' out there...

Have you hung out in the Technical and Media/Research forums lately? There's a fun place to watch the conflicts roll in
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-02, 07:23

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I've been waiting for that Michelob Ultra to make it's way to where I live so I can try it. All the other light beers aren't worth the carbs they have in them, like that Sam Adams light I think has 8 or 9 if I remember right. Chances are I'll think the Michelob is nasty anyways
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-02, 11:07
Registered Member

Stats: 285/199/130
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Hubby loves the Michelob

Ultra low carb beer. He's used to drinking all kinds of beers - I don't drink 'em and when I used to go to the liquor mart I'd pick up something that looked cool. I'm a sucker for marketing, what can I say? He prefers dark beer though, however he's very happy with the low carb count in this. Hope it makes its way to where you are soon!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 14:06

Plan: restarting Protein Power
Stats: 185/?/147
BF:
Progress: 63%

Not sure what to make of this ..... from http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/mi...06/tidbits.html

Quote:
Not much lighter than Lite

Touted as a high-protein, low-carbohydrate beer, Michelob Ultra, a product of Anheuser-Busch Cos., St. Louis, is expected to hit select markets this summer and be rolled out nationwide by fall.

But the beer has nearly the same carbohydrate level as Miller Lite, which has the fewest carbs of any of the major light beers. Both Michelob Ultra and Miller Lite contain 96 calories in a 12-ounce serving.

Michelob Ultra is being test-marketed in Denver; Tucson, Ariz.; and Fort Myers, Fla. It has 2.9 grams of carbohydrates in a 12-ounce bottle, compared with 11.7 grams for regular Michelob beer.

Miller Lite has 3.2 grams of carbohydrates, Coors Light has 4.4 grams and Bud Light, the top-selling beer in the United States, has 6.6 grams.

"This is the first brand I've seen where there was excitement before it came out," Burt Nehmer, of Golden Eagle Distributors Inc. in Tucson, was quoted as saying in the St. Louis Business Journal.

Miller has not specifically advertised the fact that Miller Lite has 3.2 grams of carbohydrates.

Nehmer said he doesn't understand why Miller hasn't marketed the low-carbohydrate content of Miller Lite.

"I think it's a mistake on their part," Nehmer said.

-- Rich Rovito

Hmmm - so low carb beers already exist then anyway? Cool - I'm off to the pub!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 18:10
Registered Member

Ya mean ya didn't KNOW?!

THAT'S why that fella thinks this is a marketing mistake on the part of the Miller Lite folks. Experienced low-carbers knew this, Michelob knew there's a huge market of inexperienced low carbers out there, would head STRAIGHT for the Michelob...

Bingo.