Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 10:43
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Nope.

Since you are at Wal*Mart turn around and find the GV heavy whipped cream in a can-- it has 1 carb/serving and is the best I have tried including the ones with splenda. I don't use it on induction cuz I can't have yogurt which is what I put it on during OWL along with 1 tsp low-sugar strawberry jam and still lost some weight.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 02:30

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i had wondered if something besides the label had changed on the lan o lakes whipped cream. the consistency seems less stuctured now.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 02:44
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh
i had wondered if something besides the label had changed on the lan o lakes whipped cream. the consistency seems less stuctured now.

when did they change the label? I have not noticed that and I buy it all the time.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 04:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
There is actually about 24 carbs in a whole can of Land O' Lakes Zero Carb whipped cream. They list 0 per serving but there are 66 servings in a can. The carbs are a little under .3 carbs per serving.

Kevin, I'm not sure a can of Land O'Lakes Zero Carb whipped cream has that many carbs. First of all, how big is the can? I can't seem to get any specifics on that brand, but it seems that 7 oz. is the norm. The only ingredients that provide carbs are the heavy cream and the nonfat milk.

7 oz. of heavy cream: 5.82 g carbs
4 g. nonfat dry milk (2% of 7 oz.): 2.08 g carbs

Total carbs: 7.9

To have 24 carbs, the can would have to weigh...

21 oz.

And this is based on nonfat milk comprising 2% of the product. The label says "2% or less of the following ingredients." It might be less than that.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 04:42
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Kevin, I'm not sure a can of Land O'Lakes Zero Carb whipped cream has that many carbs. First of all, how big is the can? I can't seem to get any specifics on that brand, but it seems that 7 oz. is the norm. The only ingredients that provide carbs are the heavy cream and the nonfat milk.

7 oz. of heavy cream: 5.82 g carbs
4 g. nonfat dry milk (2% of 7 oz.): 2.08 g carbs

Total carbs: 7.9

To have 24 carbs, the can would have to weigh...

21 oz.

And this is based on nonfat milk comprising 2% of the product. The label says "2% or less of the following ingredients." It might be less than that.

Great! I am actually glad to hear that.
It is a 14 oz. can and I was just going by a hidden carb counter and making a guesstimate from that.

At least I was guessing high rather than low....that makes all the stuff I make with it less carby
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 13:47

Stats: 260/240/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Argh!!! The sugar free cool has more carbs than the regular cool whip!! I was hoping this would be a quick, easy and inexpensive product that I could use. Oh, poo...

What idiots... How can the company call it sugar free? Do they think the ingredient CORN SYRUP really fool that many people, STILL?? Thank goodness I found this forum and have become more educated.

Oh, I'm just so stinking mad I could cry!

Last edited by *rosebud* : Thu, Jun-01-06 at 13:48. Reason: My spelling!!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 13:59
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

you are always better off with real whipped cream, SF is even better!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 14:05

Stats: 260/240/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddie01
you are always better off with real whipped cream, SF is even better!

Yes, you are right... I have a smart and final close by. I'll start picking up the cream from there.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 15:59

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

smart and final is the only way to go. i get a half gallon of heavy cream for $6.00, big savings, about half compared to my local grocery stores with the exception of trader joes, where you can get the regular small carton for under $2.00. i don't buy that though because it has a terrible smell to it and it gags me. i don't know when they changed the label kevinpa, it's been a couple of months ago. i probably never would have noticed, but i had two different cans in the fridge. same size and all, just slightly different label and sugar free labeled prominently.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 17:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 191/121/140 Female 5ft 5in
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 137%

I was eating the sugar-free coolwhip in the beginning, without reading the label and although it didn't effect my weightloss, I gave it up and started making my own whip cream after reading that it had corn syrup in it. How can something be SF and contain corn syrup? That is sugar!!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 20:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

I emailed them and gave them cr*ap over it; here is the response from the Kraft Consumer Relations Online Team (make of it what you will):

" Thank you for visiting http://www.kraftfoods.com/.

The claim "sugar free" has a specific definition set by government labeling regulations. To claim "sugar free" a product must meet this definition: "Sugar free" foods have less than 0.5 gram of sugar per serving.

Serving sizes are now based on government rules; the claim is based on the "as packaged" form of the food. The "sugar free" claim refers to ALL sugars including added sugars such as sucrose (table sugar), and naturally occurring sugars (fructose, lactose, etc.).

Although a product has been specially formulated to be sugar free, it is not necessarily a reduced calorie food; therefore, we are required by regulation to declare "not for weight control" adjacent to the "Sugar Free" claim on items that are not also reduced in calories.

Thank you for contacting us and please add our site to your favourites and visit us again soon! " NOT!

I really really really hate canned responses that don't directly answer the question asked, don't you?

#27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-06, 21:35
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

They just make the "serving size" small enough to legally stay within the law.