Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#766   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-14, 19:42

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_L
Hmm thought I replied but there is nothing here?? Sometimes my Blackberry messes with me... Anyway, considering you are recovering from surgery, you are doing great and I sure as hell couldn't do much in that heat, I would be a big puddle!

Thanks, Kelly. Ya, it's been over 100 for days and I definitely needed to do something indoors. So yesterday I started dancing again - I put on Ace of Base and could only go strong for 10 min...my body was saying WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? I did my knee exercises too. Will see how long I can go tonight.
Sponsored Links
  #767   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-14, 23:46

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Good for you, dancing is a whole body workout! and I think I read someplace that people who dance are happier???
I keep my treadmill workout short and intense - just 15 minutes tonight
  #768   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 22:11

I know they say if you are upset about something or very emotional to move your body! Just do something physical...I think dancing makes you happier!
It has cooled down to the 80s thank goodness so I did go for a 15 min walk this evening after the sun went below the horizon...I am finding my back and thigh muscles are sore ...need to get back to the chiropractor.
You do a lot, Kelly - I'm impressed! I hope to work up to a normal level of exercise again.
  #769   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 22:17

Well if you're going to dance you may as well sing too look what I just read:

You already do it in the shower -- why not on the weight bench, as well? If the latest research is correct, singing while you exercise could help you make the most of your workout and, therefore, lose weight more quickly than if you stay mum. While more studies are definitely needed on this one (and crooning is not going to simply make the pounds melt away), singing is already an enjoyable activity, so why not try it out during workouts and see what happens?

The Study

The idea comes from a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, in which researchers observed exercisers and their responses to music. One group of participants merely listened to tunes, while the other group made their own music using software that translated their motion into notes.

Both groups exerted equal force during their respective workouts. However, the music-making group had lower perceived exertion, meaning the exercise felt easier to them. They also used less oxygen, demonstrating that their bodies were working more efficiently. Given these factors, they likely could have exercised longer than the music-listening group before growing fatigued.

According to lead researcher Thomas Fritz, a postdoctoral fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, making music may activate emotion motor control, which causes automatic actions, such as smiling genuinely instead of forcing a smile. It's almost like being on autopilot as you exercise, which makes the activity seem far easier.

The Problems You May Face

Of course, there are some practical issues to deal with. If you work out at the local gym, you may not want to belt out your favorite tunes for all to hear -- for the sake of your dignity as well as your workout-neighbor's eardrums. In your living room or basement, however, you may feel free to croon away.

Another glaring problem is the fact that it's not possible to sing and get a good cardio workout at the same time. In fact, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention directly address singing in their guidelines for achieving an effective workout intensity. During a moderate cardio workout, "you can talk, but not sing." During a vigorous cardio workout, you can't even finish a sentence without pausing for breath.

Singing While Strength-Training

But don't give up on the music-making concept just yet. You can still sing while lifting weights or performing other strength-training exercises, such as push-ups and squats. And Fritz theorizes that you may be able to activate your emotion motor control by simply moving in pace with the beat of a song, even while keeping quiet.

Singing or no singing, the success of your workout program mainly depends on consistency. To help keep your body in top shape and help prevent chronic diseases, such as high blood pressure and diabetes, perform moderate cardio exercises, such as brisk walking or lap-swimming, at least 150 minutes per week. In addition, perform strength-training exercises at least two times per week, allowing 48 hours for your muscles to rest. Perhaps singing will help you accomplish this with as little pain as possible.
  #770   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 00:11

30 min on the Spin bike, easy pace.
  #771   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 10:39

Plan: LC
Stats: 303.8/273.6/145.0 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:50.1%/48.1%/24.1%
Progress: 19%

Hi Kelly! Thank you for posting the article. Interesting indeed! I sometimes sing out choruses while doing cardio, but not full on singing. I need to try it!
  #772   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-14, 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_L
Well if you're going to dance you may as well sing too look what I just read:

You already do it in the shower

Ha Kelly! Ya, I wouldn't be doing that in public but do sing at home or in the car thanks!
  #773   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-14, 23:24

I can't really count this as exercise but I helped my boss move some stuff tonight after work - she is moving into her new house and wanted to take a few truckloads over - so she hired my truck. I can't lift anything heavy right now but I got the light stuff - we were moving and lifting and walking, probably about an hour's worth. At least it was something! The rest of the time was driving back and forth.
  #774   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-14, 11:00

I would count it, I just looked up 1 hour of moderate house work (putting away items, walking) burns 227 calories.
I still need to put in an hours worth or something today to make goal.
  #775   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-14, 09:41

I didn't think I made it this week but I did! (Counting the moving day - thank you. I was sweating and tired...)

Mon Jun 9 - 10 min dance, 20 min knee exercises
Tues Jun 10 - 15 min dance, 30 min knee exercises
Wed Jun 11 - walk 15 min
Fri Jun 13 - moving boxes, light lifting, walking back and forth - 1 hour (helped my boss move some stuff)
Sun Jun 15 - walk 15 min, 20 min knee exercises

We'll see if we can step it up more next week.
  #776   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-14, 10:26

I'm glad I set a weekly goal for myself because I pushed myself to meet it yesterday. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have done anything.
So, 2 hours 50 seconds this week and I am switching it up with a variety of things. Dusted off the trekking poles yesterday for a really good workout.

Spin- Sat, Jun 14, 2014 10:56 PM 21:01
Hike Nose Hill Berkley Gate w/trekking poles- Sat, Jun 14, 2014 7:14 PM 37:03
Spin- Wed, Jun 11, 2014 10:59 PM 30:02
Treadmill Walk/Run- Tue, Jun 10, 2014 10:36 PM 15:13
Walk MacEwan Ravine loop- Sun, Jun 8, 2014 8:34 PM 17:31
  #777   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-14, 21:53

You sound like you have some really nice hikes - do you live in the country or have to drive to them?
  #778   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-14, 22:13

I live in Calgary on the NW edge. We currently have a population of 1.15 million but we have loads of land so Calgary is really spread out and there are a lot of green spaces. We are just north of a large natural park that is 4.5 square miles and contains a lot of wildlife. On that past walk my husband and I stopped to watch some deer that were behaving odd only to realize that they were being harassed by coyotes. There are porcupine, badgers, skunks, weasel, hawk, bald eagles, the occasional moose as well. The park then connects to the 2 ravines by my house. All that and we are only an hour from Banff too.
  #779   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 06:49
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I've been slowly upping my activity level since April - doing yard work, house work, cleaning the garage, and short walks. Since my daughter got home from college 2 weeks ago, we've sort of challenged each other to get into a more regular exercise routine and it is working. We like to go to a nearby school practice track and walk laps. She does about 4 laps for every 3 I do, but I am definitely getting my heart and blood pumping. In the past week, I crossed the 2 hour/week threshold for the first time and plan on sticking with it.

Tuesday: walking laps 20 minutes
Wednesday: walking laps 30 minutes
Thunder Storms Thur/Fri - no walking
Saturday: walking laps 40 minutes
Sunday: walking laps 30 minutes
Monday: walking laps 45 minutes
  #780   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 08:34

Good going Ken!!
I keep trying to convince myself that even 10 minutes is good but after a 10 hour day at work yesterday I was too pooped. Today will be better.