Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 15:59

Plan: modified me
Stats: 274/258/199 Female 64
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 21%
Default Girl Questions

I have read the thread about TOM since I am having the break through problem. I find that I am more emotional and cry easy. Very annoying at times! I was wondering if anyone else felt they were more emotional? I also am having a problem with feeling dizzy which is scary when I am driving. Any information greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 16:22

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 233/209.0/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Oh, boy...can I relate!!! I am now in the middle of my THIRD full blown period since I started on March 10!!! And, I am on Seasonale BCP so I am supposed to have a TOM only once every three months...not three times every month! LOL! And, yes...I am hyper emotional and sensitive right now too. I cry at the drop of a hat and get really mad for no really good reason. I read that it's the extra estrogen released from our fat cells, but I hope it stops soon!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 19:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/180/135 Female 66
BF:55/35/25
Progress: 55%
Thumbs up Emotions

Comfort foods are responsible for most of my weight gain. When I give them up I feel my feeling instead of eat them or medicate them. I think I become unuse to feeling them. Sometimes old feelings come to the surface that are similar to the present one. It does get easier.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 21:19

Plan: VLC/ZC
Stats: 238.6/234.6/150 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

I'm on my second 6 week cycle, yes 6week! That's 3 weeks with TOM, then 3 weeks without. I'm currently getting close to 3 weeks with again. Strangely this has only just started and it's during a stall. When I lost the 50lbs(preDec'03) I had no TOM problems at all. I'm making an appt to see the Gyn, to see if there's a reason/solution to this problem.

Admittedly I've been trying alot of things to break the stall, including lowering carbs... perhaps too much. When I started using fitday I realised I was regularly under 20carbs, without trying. I also tried a fat fast, and meat fast with no results. I recently started KISSing, and it has seemed to help a bit, but nowhere near the results others post. Only a possible 1-2lbs in a week and a half.

Anyway, DH and I are both getting tired of TOM hanging around so much. And during the 3rd week I feel really awful, so tired.

Cori
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 03:45
Princess PIA

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 210/176.6/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I am just finishing my first TOM since starting this woe, and I have been extremely crabby, irritable, sarcastic. Overall on an emotional roller coaster. I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 03:53

Stats: 220.5/211.2/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I have to ask.. I have read low carb lingo and its not there.. what is KISSing ???
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 05:21
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 135/115/115 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 100%

hello skinnbones, i too get really depressed, emotional, for usually two days before TOM, usually just cry it out. but the dizzy thing i had also and went to the doctor for and she said that my ears were really filled and not draining, which caused my sinuses to not drain also and i had a sinus infection. so she gave me an antibiotic, a decongestant, and a nasal spray. that was two weeks ago, has seemed to help some, but i still get intense dizzy spells and ear blockage/hearing diffuculty occassionally, guess its the stuff moving through. hope this helps some.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 07:07

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Okay, whats the deal. For the first time EVER, Im having my second TOM this month. Had one on the 15th - 22nd, now Im having another TOM which started on the 28th! Call my gyn and she said not to worry if this happens every now and then, but if it happens for 2 - 3 months straight, make an appt. Im sick of TOM (Im not on BC by the way). I had attributed this extra one to stress, but Im now wondering is this a lc side effect??? We should post a poll to see how many ladies TOMs have changed since lcing.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 09:19

Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I've read many posts concerning this topic. I started Atkins on my TOM and that one was normal. But then the second month I had one for 3 weeks straight and it was awful, heavy, and I had cramps every single day! I have had problems in the past with extended and heavy periods, but never cramps everyday. The TOM scrambles do seem to be an effect of the LC lifestyle. I read a bit on the subject of diet and heavy periods.

I've read that LC has often been suggested for patients to get their hormones in line again. I've also read that saturated fats will make you over produce estrogen which will make you keep building up a lining and shedding it.

After about a week break from my last TOM I started again. While on I tried to watch the saturated fats and also kept myself out in the sun everyday. (Something about the Vitamin D in UV rays is supposed to keep you from bleeding heavily). Well, with these two combined efforts I had a painless normal TOM that only lasted a week. I wll try this again for the next TOM and see if it is normal again.

Good luck to you all. I know how much it sucks having the prolonged TOM's. I spent years on fertility drugs and when I went off them my system was totally screwed up. I once went so long that I became severely anemic and had to have a blood transfusion - so this is a subject of great interest to me and something I worry over. I won't do BC which seems to be the first suggestion a GYN makes because every kind I've tried gave me horrid migraines.

Vicki B.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 09:19

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

I too had problems when I started.....two in one month and so on....I think it was the extra estrogen in the meat and that you have disrupted your body by losing wieght!

of course I went of BC because of the yeast part of it, so I am now not having periods(why I was on bc in first place )

so I am not sure if my periods will ever be normal again LOL

hopefully I won't have to go back on bc to help regulate them...oh well
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 13:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 236/127/130 Female 5'6
BF:98.7%/46.8%/36.8%/
Progress: 103%
Default tom

I had alot of problems with TOM. I have firbords that now have been removed 2 times and grown back each time bigger. In one way they say eat more meet you need the iron. But i also heard the esgetion in the meet cause fribords to grow. I love atkins will never give it up becuse i am 110 lbs lighter. But even on huge dose of iron i became so amimic i need blood transfutions to bring my blood counts back up. due to bleeding and firbords.

Laura