Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 11:18

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Angry I am SOOOO disappointed!

I've been reading about Hershey's coming out with sugar free candies this year, Reese's PB cups in particular, and the rumor was that they'd use Sucralose (splenda) as the sugar sub. Well at Wally World yesterday I saw them and had to try. There were little mini-cups of the Reese, dark cholocate nuggets and milk chocolate nuggets. I know the PB isn't legal on the SS Level 1, but I wanted to try anyway. They are WONDERFUL! I'd never know they were sugar free. My husband couldn't tell either, and I didn't tell him ahead of time that there was anything special about the cup I gave him. Haven't tried the other two types but am sure they'll be good too.

Why am I upset? They used LACTITOL instead of Sucralose. First of all there are many sources that say excessive amounts of sugar alcohols will induce an insulin response in many people, and secondly sugar aclohols give me gas. Lactitol is supposed to be the worst of all. I have had a heck of a time with all the Maltitol products, but two little Reese's cups had me three times as windy as the Maltitol treats. Sheesh!

I'm such a sweet hound and chocoholic that I was over the moon about little treats I could have safely, but this takes all the fun out of them. Plus, going back to the larger bars means I'm more likely to eat more treats. The little cups and nuggets are easier, since you've got nothing open and left over to tempt you.

One step forward, one step back on this one I guess.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 18:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/400/165
BF:
Progress: 0%

it is great to have a room you can go to where people are looking out for each other. thanks for the infromation.tj
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 09:45

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I tried the Reese's cups yesterday, thinking I'd have less of a "reaction" than I do with malitol. I didn't. Just four of them and I couldn't leave my house!

The only sugar-free chocolate I don't have problems with is de-lite bars. They're sold at Wal-Mart, under a dollar, by the vitamins.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 10:16

BF:
Thumbs up DeLites are pretty delightful, no doubt!

But my new all-time favorite is Russell Stover's Mint patties. Those too are at WalMart. I went online and found they have boxes of little tiny, individually wraped chocolate cremes. Raspberry, Orange and Mint. Very reasonably priced, so I got a box of each and they are to DIE for! I do react to the Maltitol in them, but no worse than the DeLite bars and these guys are so little I can take a couple in my purse for a snack when I'm feeling weak and want real candy orto save me when the restaurant sets that little mint by my check.

I feel like we're all on a quest for The Holy Chocolate Bar. LOL!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Summers/Atkins
Stats: 240/250/145
BF:
Progress: -11%
Default RS Canies

Mamabeek - I too ordered online and received the mint patties and the raspberry creams. Both were outstanding. So good that I must use extreme will power for portion controll.

OT - Mamabeek- I have parrots ( amazons, greys, cockatoos, quakers). They sure miss eating the mac and cheese that I would share with them every night. i switched them to eggs and cheese so they are low carbing.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 13:22

BF:
Default More OT

Oooo, it's a fellow birdie slave! You poor warped soul, I feel for you.

Funny you should mention parrots and diet. When I got my first bird, a very domineering cocaktiel named Beeker, our diet began to change. Because I bought tons of fruits and veggies for him, (which he, of course, completely ignored) we began eating them too. Then when I learned that all the salt and butter I put in my eggs and on my pasta and rice ect was bad for him, I cut back so he could share that with us too. On his Birdday I endeavored to cook an entire meal "fit for a bird" It was yummy and I decided it wouldn't be such a bad thing to try to make as many meals like that as I could. I figured anything bad for him was probably not that great for us either.

After 8 years I have finally converted my fids (Fids=feathered kids for the uninitiated) to eating an entire dish or two each day of pellets. Now I'm wondering, does that mean that just as I have gone low carb they've gone high? LOL! I find myself frustrated that there is no nutritional information on the stupid pellet bag...

Oh, the fids are most disgusted that 1) I would have the audacity to keep those cute little candies from them, though they do get to play with the mylar wrappings and 2) that they can't have all the pork rinds in the world, because those things are a BLAST to crunch up and scatter to the four winds.

Uh oh... I've gone and revealed myself as a bird nerd, haven't I?

Sorry everyone, shall try to stay on topic ever after...

Last edited by Mamabeek : Wed, May-14-03 at 13:26.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 15:24
Registered Member

Plan: Suzanne Summers/Atkins
Stats: 240/250/145
BF:
Progress: -11%
Default Even more OT

Mamabeek - Thanks for the birdie update. My mom always said that if I ate as well as I feed the birds, I would be healthy. I too try to sneak a sf snack and pacify the birds with the wrappers. Somehow they know they are missing the best part. I find it amazing that we try to feed our pets the best diet and then we eat the worst. Hopefully with LC I am finally eating a healthy diet even if I am not loosing weight yet.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 20:10

Plan: Atkins, "generally"
Stats: 195/170/155
BF:
Progress: 63%
Angry FIDS? ~#%^ Get a Clue, or Life!

MamaBeek: Please don't tell me what I read, I really read! FIDS??? ...........(Fids=feathered kids for the uninitiated) ...............

Things gotta change girlfriend!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 12:57

BF:
Talking LOL!

Well they have changed! I became far healthier when I began eating a diet my FIDS could share. Now I'm 21 pounds lighter than I was when I started following an LC plan. Things just keep getting better and better!

Careful where you step, those are my children under your feet.

It's all good...