Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 12:57

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Subway closes 91 stores in Australia over 4 years

Subway closes 91 stores in Australia over 4 years

Quote:
Sandwich giant Subway has closed more than 90 stores in the past four years as they struggle to keep up with millennial food trends.

The fast food chain has 1,353 stores across Australia at the moment, down from 1,444 in 2015, which is a drop of 9.2 per cent.

While there are currently no further plans to open new stores, a spokesperson told the publication they do 'anticipate growth' this financial year but will only consider areas that are 'commercially viable'.

However their revenue of €77.6 million ($128.1 million) for Australia in 2017 is down from €88.4 million ($145.3 million) in 2016, making the next move they make in the retail industry very important.

The brand is finding those customers who would normally seek out a Subway sandwich for healthier food are choosing different fast food chains, ones that are low-carb friendly.

'Over the past 10 years, the tastes and the palates of our Australian guests have changed quite significantly, and what they're looking for, for their lunch or for their dinner has changed as well,' Subway's spokesperson said.

Naturally this has wreaked havoc on the lives of those franchisees who opted into the business a decade ago.

Some cannot cover the cost of their own salary, so are forced to work for free, while others are trying their best to sell the shop.

'I cannot afford it. I am in too much debt at the moment I have taken out a lot of personal loans to survive. If I take another loan from the bank I cannot pay as it is too high. My life is hell now. I am stuck,' one business owner told the Brisbane Times.

Subway told FEMAIL that the company is experiencing 'strong growth'.

'Subway restaurants are experiencing strong sales growth and increased Franchise Owner profits due to Subway's menu enhancements, the launch of online ordering and the launch of third-party delivery,' they said.

'Subway has been innovating to increase Franchise Owner profitability and adapt to the changing needs of Australians, while remaining competitive in a market with more consumer choice than ever before.'

In recent times the store has launched rye bread and wraps, a loyalty card to bolster sales, Beyond Meat options for vegans and a salted caramel cookie to add to their growing range of snacks.

They continue to develop innovative strategies to deal with the changing food landscape but only time will tell if they are successful.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-Australia.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 13:19

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

We have two stores in this town. One on a main street. The other at walmart, the west side.

We stop in occassionlly, enough to comment on their food options.

As a low carber, I can get a salad with meat options. Salad dressing of course is always dicey. Oil and vinegar if I dare.

Eating at Mc D means removing the bun, hoping it hasnt stuck to the American cheese leaving a layer of crumb. Salads--- never tried one. Not sure they are fresh. So Subway a better option.

Too bad Subway has not been as LC friendly as they could be..... just a lack of effort. Wouldnt take much to go another step.

They should offer a low carb wrap.... that kind of bread holds for days unlike their standard roll.

Only place I let my kids walk to for a snack when they are at the library. A shot at a decent meal, with vegies.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Aug-15-19 at 18:46.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 16:56

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I actually find Subway to be low carb friendly because you can get any sub as a salad, they have lots of low carb veg (not just lettuce and tomato) and if you want, you pay extra for double meat.

Subway used to have a low carb wrap option, but that went away. The wraps are now huge tortillas.

And like Ms. Arielle said, while you can always throw away the bun from a buger, you risk losing the cheese.

In my neck of the woods, Subway is one of the cheaper low carb options for fast food.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-19, 17:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycie14
I actually find Subway to be low carb friendly because you can get any sub as a salad, they have lots of low carb veg (not just lettuce and tomato) and if you want, you pay extra for double meat.

Subway used to have a low carb wrap option, but that went away. The wraps are now huge tortillas.

And like Ms. Arielle said, while you can always throw away the bun from a buger, you risk losing the cheese.

In my neck of the woods, Subway is one of the cheaper low carb options for fast food.

I do that as well. When I'm pressed for time, chopped salad with me selecting the ingredients and double meat of any sub selection. I take it home and add my own olive oil and ACV. Reasonably priced and pretty good tasting as well.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-19, 03:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

It would be EASY to offer a true low carb salad in almost any fast food place. Eventually, they will.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-19, 04:32

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Years ago after stumbling into this low carb place, Subway began featuring a low carb wrap, and yes, you paid a premium for it. I had never been in Subway before and felt good supporting them. I lost my initial chunk of weight with weekly lunch dates and was stunned when they dropped their low carb wrap. Do you remember being dumped by your first girl/boy friend? It felt kinda like that. I still walk by them occasionally; that whiff of onion/jalapeño refrigerated air that spills onto sidewalk always makes my mouth tingle but sadly reminds me of an earlier happy time. Nowadays, for a special weekly treat I fast. It ain’t the same.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-19, 10:43

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Don't Aussie Subway's have "chopped salads" on their menus? If not, it seems like they could easily add them for their low-carb patrons.

It's basically just a subway sandwich without the bread, tossed into a big metal bowl and chopped up fine with a mezzaluna then served in plastic bowls. Without the bun, Subway's sandwiches are actually very low carb!

The only expense involved in adding adding chopped salads to a menu would be purchasing a metal bowl and a mezzaluna to do the chopping with. Seems to me that Subway franchisees would be rushing to add the salads rather than closing shop.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-19, 11:45

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I don't even get my Subway salad chopped as I am not a fan of chopped salad (too mushy sometimes). They just layer it into the container.

I think one reason fast food places don't have many salad options is the extra ingredients. Sure they have lettuce and tomato and onion for the burgers, but not cucumbers, celery, peppers, etc. It would be stocking the extra produce which also spoils faster than meat, cheese and buns.

Subway though already has the extra veg for their sandwiches.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-19, 17:35

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Back in the 80s before I was strictly low carb I had a couple of subway sandwiches while on the run. It would be an exaggeration to call it mediocre.

I haven't eaten at a fast-food outlet of any kind since then.

No McC, B-King, Wendy, Pizza Hut, or whatever. Life is too short to eat mediocre food.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-19, 18:48

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

This actually really surprises me as Subway is very big here in Aus...

They do about a dozen different types of salad bowls and gluten free bread/wraps, and about half of their salad dressings are low in sugar. Subway is a go to place here for corporate lunch platters and casual events.

Maybe they have closed some stores as they can service a bigger area from one store now with their delivery options? In the town I live in we have 3 stores within a 10km radius (That is a bit much?)
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-19, 20:05

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Back in the 80s before I was strictly low carb I had a couple of subway sandwiches while on the run. It would be an exaggeration to call it mediocre.

I haven't eaten at a fast-food outlet of any kind since then.

No McC, B-King, Wendy, Pizza Hut, or whatever. Life is too short to eat mediocre food.

Bob

I always thought they were more unappealing than even McDonald's. I got dragged there once at an old job, while we had dozens of amazng other options nearby.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-19, 05:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I have found that low carb actually "cultivates my palate" in that fresh food I really like is so much better than anything, no matter how low carb a fast food option might be.

At Subway I get a small handful of spinach as my chopped salad, and double meat, and it's a good option, though by that time it's overpriced and I can get a real bacon and eggs breakfast and then I do.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-19, 08:08

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I always thought they were more unappealing than even McDonald's. I got dragged there once at an old job, while we had dozens of amazng other options nearby.

When I worked on a cruise ship, once a month I'd drive home to check the house. There was just enough time to get home, get back, and have an hour or two to spare in case traffic got snarled. I grabbed subways a couple of times, and after that, we packed our own lunch to eat on the road. That was in the late 1980s

I actually quit fast food in the late 1970s, but in the early 1980s I was in a group who went to BK. I ordered a cheeseburger with no other fixings. I put a little ketchup on it. I could taste the ketchup and the cheese, the meat and the bun tasted like cardboard.

I'd rather bring a bag of nuts or a 'no-carb bar' if I need something on the road than stop at a fast frankenfood franchise.

But that's just me.

Bob
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-19, 08:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Early on when I started low carb, I'd occasionally run into a fast food burger joint and toss the bun and eat the meat. It's been a long time since I've done that, as I realized the meat had fillers, had zero taste, and I wasn't doing myself any good. Once I became a fat burner, I didn't need to eat at times, so I'd just do without the food and burn my own on-board fuel instead. In the past, I've tried the Unwich at Jimmy Johns, meh. Today, I never go to fast food other than an occasional chopped salad at subway.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-19, 16:26

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Actually, for "fast food," I don't find Subway salads to be half bad.

They're definitely not "frankenfood" as they are created right in front of you after you choose the ingredients you want. My local Subways have lettuce, green bell peppers, red onions, tomatoes, black olives, jalapenos, pickles, and banana peppers available. Except for the last three items (which are pickled) the vegetables are all fresh.

Granted meat and cheese options at Subway tend to be a bit more "processed" but I don't consider roast beef, roasted turkey breast, chicken breast, tuna, bacon, ham, cheddar cheese, provolone cheese or parmesan to be "frankenfoods." Salami and pepperoni may qualify ...but I'll admit to still eating both on occasion! That just leave the dressing and I usually opt for either Ranch dressing or a mixture of mayo and olive oil blend. I'm not sure the salads I make from scratch at home are measurably "lower carb" or "healthier."

Typically, I only wind up at fast food franchises when traveling with other people who don't eat low-carb and who NEED to eat on a regular schedule. In such situations, if there is a Subway handy, I tend to vote for it over most other options.

I think overall Subway has options that are healthier than "a bag of nuts" and definitely healthier than a "no-carb bar." Actually, I've never yet found a true no-carb bar for sale anywhere and would love to know what brand you buy Bob-a-rama. Around here, we can get all kinds of high-protein bars (with way more carbs than I'd ever consume in a single sitting) and lost of supposedly low-carb bars made with so many sugar alcohols they might as well be CANDY the way they set off my sweet-tooth cravings! I have yet to see a bar with less than 20g of carbs and no (or very few) sugar alcohols.