Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 13:05

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 194/188.9/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default 1st Day of CAD need support!

Hello everyone! I am in search of support and some encouraging words from those who have done this before. I have tried other low-carb diets in the past but mostly I have just been a binge/restrictive eater. a compulsive overeater that managed on ocassions to limit my intake so as to maintain a reasonable weight(150-160) but over the last five years I have lost complete control. I am back up to 184 again after white knuckling it down to 167 I have gained it all back in the blink of an eye....well in the course of a 14 day holiday in Ireland and the Holly Daize. I am so sad lately thinking I cannot ever beat this thing inside of me. This lack of control. I feel so weak and beaten. Also scared because if I give up I cannot imagine how much weight I would gain as I seem to just barely be able to hold my own while being mindful of my diet. I have journaled, used relaxation tapes, read articles, books, cereal boxes, watched weight loss shows, cried, prayed, exercised compulsively, fasted, given up , tried again and again until it is just like a constant humm in my brain..maybe today? oops no than maybe tomorrow....but just yesterday I was at the library and I checked out the book CAD. It did not even look interesting to me but I thought What the heck. I took the test and got 100 percent on the addicted part. Could it be true that it is not just me? I am not just a weak individual, compulsive and impulsive making myself sick with food again and again never learning. Could it be more than just not eating? I am afraid to believe that it is not just my own
lack of willpower because if I take the blame off of me I might just have my excuse to give up. But I have to try. In reading the book I could see so much of myself in the case studies. The hiding of eating, the guilt, the anger, the overwelming saddness. I cannot face my life if I have to live like that anymore. I am really hoping this WOE is what I need. So far so good Day one and I have had low carb breakfast and lowcarb lunch and no craving or urge to snack. I actually feel in control. Thanks for reading this long post any advice for a newbie is welcome~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Amy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 15:04
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Welcome!!!! You'll find this the easiest "diet" you've ever been on!!!

You can do it!!!! It just takes three days and the 4th day the cravings will be gone!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 06:29
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Amy-
welcome.
this is really a great plan, and you can still use stuff you have learned on other plans. Please read (and reread) the book, and try to balance your RMs. Please post and let us know how you are doing-
E
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 08:11

Plan: CALP
Stats: 16/14/10 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Know how you feel

Hi, Amy-

You sound a lot like me. I have not been severely overweight, but have had the feelings of being out of control when I eat. I start off feeling powerful and "high", then sick and stuffed. I got 100% on the test as well. This diet has been the only thing that has worked and kept me feeling balanced and healthy. Because I am doing this for weight control and not insulin balance, I will tend to ebb and flow with my physical and mental state.

One of the tricks I do when I've been off the diet for a while (including these past few weeks) is make a big bowl of no-carb food, and let myself impulse eat all day if necessary. You'll find you didn't eat that much, and can maybe think and work through the first few days while not feeling deprived. Just make sure there are NO CARBS in this big bowl. Also, the salad before the RM is another trick- I usually want to skip it. However, I have gotten myself excited about the salad by adding goat cheese and roasted walnuts (things I love) and use raspberry vinaigrette. I just make sure to count them as carbs. I also think about my carbs at the RM as "bites"- the meat and vegatables are whole sections, but if I really want a chocolate or alcohol, I don't take as many "bites". I also make sure that there are some carbs left on the plate. That always makes me feel proud.

I might get an earful after this, but if I find myself not sticking to the diet for a day (for whatever reason), I try to eat as many fruits and nuts as I can. I also eat as healthy as I can. Go for low fat these days. You might have gotten of the diet temporarily, but that doesn't mean you have to shoot yourself in the foot. The good part also is, you don't have to start over at step or square one with this diet. Just jump back on.

Good luck! This diet changed my life- hope it will yours as well!
Edy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 08:55

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
I am afraid to believe that it is not just my own
lack of willpower because if I take the blame off of me I might just have my excuse to give up.

Once you realize that your "lack of willpower" is because of certain foods you are consuming (via high carb foods) you will be empowered by the idea that you can do something about it and you can "feel" normal. I wish you the best. I know every plan is not for everyone. This plan is for me. I can feel it. It makes me "feel" like a normal person with a normal willpower and at the same time it "allows" me to have certain foods at my RM. I do find if I tell myself "you can never have chocolate", chocolate is all I think about. The power in knowing I can have it at my RM gets me through alot!

Why not try it for two weeks straight and see how you feel? What could it hurt? The weight loss may not be speedy like LC, but the effect of controlling my insulin out weighs the rapid weight loss.

I also like to keep my CALP book handy to read certain sections over and over

Have a good day
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 12:43

BF:

Thanks for the replies! It is nice to hear how others feel the same way as I do and struggle too but can overcome this. Today I am reading the sugar addicts book by the person who wrote potatos not prozac...I noticed she does not recommend the CAD approach but than again why would she! There are so many book and so many approaches I really do think it is true we all have to do what suits us and what we can do for life. The reward meal idea does kind of scare me as I am the compulsive type and am afraid I might go "crazy " but last night I was fine and only had a regular dinner and one choc. chip cookie...ONE being the operative word. Some people feel in control when they can refuse a cookie but to me being able to stop after one is so much harder for me and therefore more of an achievement. I usually tell myself just one and than break a piece off another and then finish that other piece and then break another one ....until I have had four or five not to mention the dough I ate when cooking. (I even managed to bake a batch without a taste of dough). I am going to follow this plan and see if I can see a loss and not let the RM get out of control but at the same time I do think the sugar addicts diet may also suit me better. I have been off and on SSRI' s before and I have a problem wanting too much wine at night. I now limit it to only once a week but still on the CAD i can justify it but on the other I cannot. Well at least I feel much better today. NO cravings what so ever it does seem a little too easy...hmmmm....time will tell. Anyway if you read my journal u can see the struggles i have had. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~thanks for reading~~~~~~~AMY
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 13:15

BF:

I think if I read your journal, it would sound just like me
By the way- I was practically an alcoholic before starting CAD. I didn't understand it was the sugars I was addicted to, not the alcohol. My husband and I brew our own beer, know everything about wine, etc, but with the birth of our children, I got scared I was out of control. We still enjoy drinking, and I can everyday, but I stop at 2. By two glasses of wine or two beers I am relaxed, but done. If I do drink, I eat all the meat and veggies first and decide if I want another drink or the carbs on the plate. It depends on my day.
Since doing CAD, I have not had too much or felt like I needed to get drunk. The calm I feel with being in control of food has helped in so many other areas of my life (that's interesting), and I hope you benefit the same.
Keep this up! You will never stop being amazed and surprised!
Edy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 14:18

BF:

Thanks EDy! I am just beginning to see that this is all connected in the past I felt like such a loser because i needed all this junk in my life just to function! Cigarettes,alcohol,food,food,food,not to mention my lack of impulse control, depression,hibernating for weeks on end in my home, sadness, If all of this has just one source I feel like it is just possible I might beat this thing...thank for giving me hope!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 14:49

BF:

I have realized that my body's not a machine- I can't push in the number of calories, fat, and fiber and push "send" and the weight steadily comes off. I got overweight for a thousand reasons and will get thin and healthy for a million more.
With CAD there are guidelines that help my brain feel relaxed and confident because there's a set plan. Most of the time I listen to my brain. However, if I listen to my life, I don't stress about sharing forbidden foods with other people- I also accept the slower weight loss. This is a Way Of Life- the longer I let the guidelines keep me on track, the easier it is to almost forget I'm on a diet.
You and I share a history of "forbiddens"- things we abused knowing they were bad for us. It's taken a lot of time for me to get used to choosing different options, and it hasn't been the easiest road. I no longer punish myself for being human and giving in sometimes- it makes me who I am. I now care enough about myself to think about the consequences of unhealthy behavior.
I don't know why I'm so philosophic today- it's been weird around here, though.
Take care
Later
Edy

Last edited by Edy : Sat, Jan-07-06 at 08:24.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 21:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/210/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

hey guys, there are to many posts on here that apply to me to even respond individually. i like to drink and i like to eat. i need to control both, that is realistic. not give them both up totally. so many people say they are addicted to sugar, well i could care less if ice cream, cookies, candy or cake fell off the face of the earth. my problem is the stuff you eat that turns into sugar , all the carbs. i love popcorn with real butter, pasta, cheese fries, pizza, cheese burgers and potatos or any snack like chips, doritos, pringles and grilled sandwhiches with a side of mac salad or potato salad. did you notice the foods i love dont include fruits, or protiens, i can eat some of these but they are not my fav choices. i do like some veggies but i have to watch how i prepare them , not to make them to fattening. i am truly a mess. and i really want to make cad work.