Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:55
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 273/260/225
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Crooke's test?

Crooke's test?

I have seen several references to this..what is it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 19:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%

The Dr. William Crook's test is a questionnaire which give an indication whether one has a systemic Candida yeast infection.

http://www.howdyneighbor.com/jbayliss/crook.htm

More information is available on my web page:

Bowel Diseases and Candida - News You Can Use.

Kent
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:58
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for the information.My wife has been experiencing IBS symptons for some time and after the colinoscopy came back with no indications no one seemed to have any solutions for her.

I have been following low carb for about 6 months and it has done wonders in controlling my diabetes. When my wife mentioned IBS I remembered something about the link between carbohydrates and IBS. That led me to this forum...and with your helpful website, which I printed out for her to read , perhaps she will get some relief.

We are halfway there with knowledge anyways as I have been doing this for awile as I mentioned and have been very active in gathering information.

I am expecting my first shipment of Almond flour next week...I ordered it for my diet...but looks like she will now benefit too!

Thank you for your help!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 16:29

Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%

Yikes. I scored a 224 on this.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 14:45

Stats: 256/220/215 Male 78 inches
BF:36/28/20
Progress: 88%
Thumbs down

Quote:
I am expecting my first shipment of Almond flour next week...I ordered it for my diet...but looks like she will now benefit too!

Hi Scottinnh,

No, No. Yikes. The almond flour in reasonable quantities is OK for you but is very bad for your wife who had IBS. Most nuts contain a large amount of omega-6 fatty acids which are proven in research to be highly inflammatory for IBS and lots of other health problems.

One popular IBS diet, The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) and the book, Breading The Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottshall, recommends almond flour highly. However, low carbohydrated diet authors believe that to be incorrrect. Many members of the SCD message board continually complain that almond flour causes flare up with their IBS and IBD, but the complaints fall on deaf ears.

Omega-6 fatty acids in refined quantities are not good for healthy people either. These are found in vegetable, seed and nut oils. Olive oil is fine because it is very low in omega-6 fatty acids. Butter and coconut oil are excellent for everyone, especially IBS and IBD sufferers.

Read Dr. Atkins's book, The Age-Defying Diet Revolution and Dr. Michael Eades book, Protein Power Lifeplan for excellent chapters each on the bad health effects of omega-6 fatty acids. The one shining light in the omega-6 family is GLA fatty acid which should be taken in the form of borage oil along omega-3 fatty acids in the form of Carlson's lemon flavored cod liver oil. Read more on my web page.

Bowel Diseases and Candida - News You Can Use.

Kent

Last edited by Kent : Fri, Jun-06-03 at 14:48.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 09:44
Registered Member

BF:

Wow, as usual so much conflicting info. I think it comes down to alot of experimenting and seeing how you feel...

As a diabetic I have fallen into the habit of eating bunches of almonds, especially as snacks as they do not increase my BG (my prime concern). I usually roast them after coating them with a mixture of Splenda, cumin, corriander and cayenne. I made a similar recipe for my wife but used Stevia, instead of Splenda as I though I heard it was better and the bottle also said it was good for IBS, and cinnamon as the only spice .... I neglected to tell my wife I used the Stevia.

Not only did the nuts have a little bitter after taste but she ate some just before going into a meeting at work..and was very uncomfortable and barely made it through the meeting. We didn't know what was the culprit as she had the same almonds before when I made it with Splenda.

The next day my wife came home with some stevia packets a friend gave her for me to use as her friend knew I was low carb and her friend couldn't use them because Stevia makes her IBS worse! That's when I told her I had used Stevia in her nuts! Oh boy...

So maybe its the stevia..and the almonds...we will just have to keep reading and trying and seeing how we feel....

I find it helps to understand the biology..and how different products process in the body...it helps when you make choices....but we are still somewhat in the dark....your website helps...thank you