Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 05:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default We Need Better Answers on Nutrition

Op-Ed in NYT:

We Need Better Answers on Nutrition

The U.S. is overdue to establish an institute devoted to research on the top cause of poor health.
By Joon Yun, David A. Kessler and Dan Glickman
Dr. Yun, Dr. Kessler and Mr. Glickman have served to improve the nation’s health as leaders in government, academia and the nonprofit sector.

Quote:
Poor nutrition is a leading cause of poor health and spiraling health care spending. Research from the Tufts Friedman School suggests that poor eating causes nearly 1,000 deaths each day in the United States from heart disease, stroke or diabetes. In 2016, the direct and indirect costs of chronic diseases as a result of obesity were $1.72 trillion — almost 10 percent of the nation’s gross domestic product.

Poor eating also contributes to disparities in well-being, especially among children: a vicious cycle of bad health, lost productivity, increased health costs and poverty. Poor nutrition and obesity are also a major threat to military readiness. A recent report from Mission: Readiness, a group including more than 700 retired admirals and generals, noted that nearly two-thirds of active duty personnel are overweight or obese, and obesity is the leading medical disqualifier for new military recruits.

Yet many of the most fundamental questions about foods and health — especially their impact on the economy and the military — remain unanswered. There is also tremendous confusion about what constitutes a healthy diet. Despite the urgency of these questions, the sum of research funding for nutritional research across all federal agencies — like the agriculture department, Health and Human Services and Department Defense — is only about $1.5 billion annually. To put this into perspective, national spending on candy purchases is about $40 billion per year.

That is why our country needs an institute devoted to research on the top cause of poor health. We would call it the National Institute of Nutrition, and it would be part of the National Institutes of Health.

The institute will facilitate and help coordinate incisive research into nutrients, foods and their relationships to better health. Some examples of its focus would include:

How to leverage food and nutrition policy and public-private partnerships in a “food is medicine” effort to reduce health care costs.

Optimal nutrition for military readiness.

Optimal nutrition for treatment of battlefield consequences, including bodily injuries, brain injuries and post-traumatic stress.

Relationships between the gut microbiome and health.

Personalized nutrition based on life stage, metabolism, health state, health goals and genetics.

Health and metabolic effects of major food groups for which effects remain unclear or controversial, such as cheese, yogurt, whole-fat milk, unprocessed red meat, coconut oil, fermented foods, organic foods and more.

Optimal diets for weight loss and weight maintenance.

Optimal diets to prevent and treat Type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes.

Optimal diets for cancer, both to reduce side effects of chemotherapy and radiation and also to directly target the cancer.

Health effect of trace bioactives and phenolics, like those in extra-virgin olive oil, cocoa, green tea, coffee, red wine, blueberries and more.

Effective behavior change and systems approaches for healthier eating.

Effective approaches to reduce dietary and health disparities.

Effects of foods on brain and mental health, from the developing brain in infants and children to protecting against memory loss, dementia and depression later in life.

Effects of foods on allergies and autoimmune and inflammatory diseases.

Coordinated new science for translation into national dietary guidelines and policies, such as the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.

Discoveries in these areas will help bring down health care costs and recover productivity loss as a result of diet-related diseases like obesity, diabetes, heart disease, many cancers and more.

They will also benefit our military readiness, including treatment of injuries. A new nutrition institute will not include regulatory or enforcement functions. Those will remain at the Food and Drug Administration and Department of Agriculture. As the convening body for research in the country, the National Institute of Nutrition would encourage the participation of a large group of stakeholders providing important input into the science of nutrition.

There are numerous precedents for creating a nutrition research institute at the N.I.H., which was created by an act of Congress in 1930. Several new institutes have been added there in the years since: For example, in 1937, Congress passed legislation to add a new National Cancer Institute. Ideally, Congress would draft and pass a bill to create and fund a nutrition institute.

Although their existence and benefits today are obvious in retrospect, we did not always have— and thus needed to create — institutions such as the Institutes of Health and F.D.A. But their contributions have far surpassed our imagination. The N.I.H.’s original founding vision was to detect cholera and yellow fever. Yet, it began to help train young physicians and now supports cutting-edge research that helps treat and cure many types of diseases. Similarly, the F.D.A.’s founding vision was to regulate contaminated foods; now it helps bring safe and effective drugs to market. None of these mandates or benefits were foreseeable at their founding, and the same is true for founding a nutrition institute today.

Establishing a place to research nutrition is also crucial to retain American competitiveness. The governments of China, India and Japan fund similar institutions.

Improving the nation’s health through better nutrition will pay large and direct economic dividends. An independent analysis concluded that every $1 spent on research by the N.I.H. has led to $3.20 in economic gains, a return-on-investment of more than 300 percent.

Given the role of diet in health and well-being, the current challenges to our military readiness and the spending of one in four federal dollars and one in five dollars in our economy on health care, the right question to ask ourselves is, can we afford not having a National Institute of Nutrition.

Dr. Joon Yun is a radiologist and an American hedge fund manager. Dr. David Kessler served as the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration for President George H.W. Bush and President Bill Clinton. Dan Glickman was the secretary of agriculture from 1995 to 2001.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/28/...ion-health.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Feb-28-19 at 05:47.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 17:44

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The present panel of nutrition experts selected by the government are the ones that gave us My Plate.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 17:58

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

wow--- you mean there really could be a change????

I dont let my kids eat school lunches-- might be good enough for a dog imho.

They are eager for university where the food options are 100 x better.........
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 19:01

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I fear any "National Institute of Nutrition" would be corrupted by the same forces that corrupt the nutritional guidelines. As Richard Feinman has said the term "nutritional science" is an oxymoron.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-19, 19:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I fear any "National Institute of Nutrition" would be corrupted by the same forces that corrupt the nutritional guidelines. As Richard Feinman has said the term "nutritional science" is an oxymoron.

Those are exactly my thoughts.... Whose science? The same science that mandates low fat is the only way we should eat.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 02:01

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

The idea sounds fine to me, but as has already been suggested, what really matters is the execution.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 06:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It would be simple... if they follow the science.

Two terrible diseases: heart disease and cancer, both now with mounting evidence they are diseases of metabolic derangement. With real success stories, all over Diet Doctor, for instance, of many chronic illnesses put into remission.

Equally compelling, to my mind, are the people actually feeling better with more energy and symptoms fading. Not something my middle aged cohort gets from their fistfuls of pills.

We have too much interference in the system, certainly, but what is the core of it are careerists, like Ancel Keys, who see science as a way of climbing a status ladder; not a quest for knowledge.

And I don't know what you can do about that.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 06:49

BF:

THinking out loud--- how do WE help them get it right this time?? Is it time to keep writing to our senators??
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 07:38

BF:

I think we’d be better off writing to health authorities.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 07:41

BF:

Quote:

We HAVE them. We need people to admit they were wrong, and good luck with that!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 07:51

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

No more government institutions to make us do the right thing. We're all so jaded, it would be money down a rathole. Again. Who's the authority over YOUR body?

You can lead a horse to water....

In today's KC STAR, I saw an article about a new app. It's for a service that will deliver junk food (or toilet paper, or toothpaste, or a few other convenience store items) right to your door 24/7. Can government stand in the way of people's tendency to destroy themselves?? Not so far. Probably not ever. It's a free country, and I'm happy for that.

I'm so full of aphorisms today I might explode.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 08:00

BF:

WOuld that include the pediatricians that are required to follow the plate plans and guide child nutrition??

My pedi and staff were ill- informed. I basically told them to go to he...ll because they did not know nutrition. Children need fat and Im not changing to low fat milk for my 2 year old. ( Government mandate) How about pedis talking about how to get kids to eat their vegies-- now that would be helpful.

The "guidlines" have far reaching effects.

PS. I figured out quickly that hungry kids eat their vegies-- plate the vegies first while preparing the rest of the meal. Watch those vegies go down!!! lol
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 10:59

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
We HAVE them. We need people to admit they were wrong, and good luck with that!

Exactly.

#14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-19, 13:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
PS. I figured out quickly that hungry kids eat their vegies-- plate the vegies first while preparing the rest of the meal. Watch those vegies go down!!! lol

EXACTLY what I use to do!!