Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default run in with a peanutbutter jar

I just did the dumbest thing. I decided it wouldn't be harming to "taste" my daughter's peanutbutter after eating lunch, then the taste turned into just a small spoonful. Then - let me see what this would taste like if I mixed it with some cream cheese. Wow - it is like peanut butter cheesecake, I want more. You know where this is going. Now feel like I want to go to sleep - my stomach is so full and I shouldn't have touched any of that stuff in the first place. What I just consumed in the past 20 min is way off the charts
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 11:17

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovegirl
I just did the dumbest thing. I decided it wouldn't be harming to "taste" my daughter's peanutbutter after eating lunch, then the taste turned into just a small spoonful. Then - let me see what this would taste like if I mixed it with some cream cheese. Wow - it is like peanut butter cheesecake, I want more. You know where this is going. Now feel like I want to go to sleep - my stomach is so full and I shouldn't have touched any of that stuff in the first place. What I just consumed in the past 20 min is way off the charts

At least you figured out that PB is a trigger food for you..best to back away.

Peanuts are actually legumes, not nuts, so that could be a factor for you. Why not try almond butter and see if it's less 'addictive' for you.

I eat almond butter on occasion and, thankfully, have no issues with putting the spoon down!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 11:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Was it at least natural peanut butter? Without the sugar? It isn't all that awful.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 11:44

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I sometimes make peanut butter for my husband by wizzing some roasted salted peanuts in the blender with a little peanut oil and lquid splenda. I only make one serving of this for him at a time.
This allows me to "serve" him whatever texture he fancies without having to keep a pot of smooth and a pot of chunky PB in the house to tempt me!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 12:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Was it at least natural peanut butter? Without the sugar? It isn't all that awful.

it was with sugar - it was an unplanned afair. I just can't believe how my mind shut off and I lost control.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 12:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
I sometimes make peanut butter for my husband by wizzing some roasted salted peanuts in the blender with a little peanut oil and lquid splenda. I only make one serving of this for him at a time.
This allows me to "serve" him whatever texture he fancies without having to keep a pot of smooth and a pot of chunky PB in the house to tempt me!!

that is a good idea. I'm tossing that stupid jar in the trash so it can do no more damage. I'll try your method from now on for my daughter.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 13:52
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Even "regular" peanut butter doesn't have a lot of sugar. Two tablespoons of Jif Extra Crunchy has 5 g of net carbs (7 g total carbs minus 2 g of fiber) and most natural peanut butters have about 4 or 5 g net carbs in 2 tablespoons.

When I was growing up, Jif crunchy peanut butter was like its very own food group. My brother, who's a picky eater, took a peanut butter sandwich to school every day for 12 years. I wasn't as bad, but I've eaten a lot of Jif crunchy peanut butter in my life. (I've tried other brands and natural peanut butter, but I'm "choosy.") Since I stopped eating bread and crackers in 2002, I usually eat the Jif out of the jar with a spoon. And, a couple of times a year I may go on a Jif binge and eat a half cup or more in an evening. But, I've never noticed my weigh to be increased significantly by a Jif binge. I'm a type 2 diabetic and it doesn't even badly mess up my blood sugar. Peanut butter also doesn't cause me to crave other carbs.

At least for me, falling into a jar of peanut butter is a whole lot better than falling into the potato chip bag or cookie jar.

Last edited by CarolynC : Thu, May-19-11 at 14:06.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-19-11, 21:50

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I developed intestinal distress with peanut butter over the last month and I got afraid I would develop an allergy to it, so I stopped cold turkey. Otherwise, I'd be downing a jar right now!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-21-11, 16:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/161/125 Female 5'5
BF:29%
Progress: 35%

Peanut butter is my weakness. I could literally eat a jar. Since I cant trust myself with it, it went out with the breads and other trigger foods. I used to kid myself that I was low carbing when I'd have a tbsp here or there but I couldn't stop and I'd want more. Sad times....
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-22-11, 11:45

Plan: OWL
Stats: 280/249/175 Female 73.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

I like sunflower seed butter.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-11, 09:10
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I have a weakness for peanut butter too. I can eat spoon after spoon. One time I think I ate eight tablespoons. Right now I do not have any in the house.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 12:42

Stats: 145/120.5/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%

I don't even like it, but I can't have it in the house- I will eat it all, it even hurts my throat going down, but i can't have it near me.