Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/168/160 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%
Question Learning to Run - consult a trainer or sport doc?

I've been doing this low carb thing for a while now - since, February, and in an effort to speed up weight loss, I've taken to running. Also, I've applied to a particular job that his strict physical requirements so I must get in shape quick (one of the requirements is running 1.5 miles in about 12 minutes minimum). For those runners out there, I'm sure an 8 minute mile is nothing.

In any case, I've never been a runner and about three months ago I started walking for about a month, then started jogging. I got to the point where I could run the 1.5 miles in 12 minutes, but in the last couple weeks, I've noticed I'm getting increasing pain in my lower legs. After a search on this board and other sites, I've determined I have the pretty common "shin splints" ailment.

I've done just about everything I can think of and have read (stretching before and after running, slowing my pace, new running shoes, etc.) and was wondering if it's because I'm not running correctly? I know it sounds silly, but could I be doing it incorrectly?

I've read some articles that say that you should have a trainer or sport doc analyze your stride, foot placement, etc. and have him/her recommend running shoes, supplemental supports, etc. Is this necessary?

I really need to get beyond these shin splints. I have to. Is it something that will just take time, or is there more I can do to condition my body? I thought after a few months of running, my body would be used to this by now (which it is from an aerobic stand point - I used to be out of breath at 1/2 mile, but now I have no problem running 2 miles or more if my legs don't hurt too much). Can changing my diet help? Please help - I'm at a loss here and my time is running out before this job physical test comes up in a month or so...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 22:11

Plan: combined plans
Stats: 192/158/147
BF:
Progress: 76%

I would definitely have it looked at by someone who knows about running. and i've heard runners need to replace their shoes a lot more often because of the beating they take, etc.

especially since a possible job could be hanging in the balance over this - get it looked at.

I'm not a runner, my body just isnt built for it, but i get the splints when i power walk, and they are just no fun what so ever.

good luck,

lcgal
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-13-02, 12:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/168/160 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Thanks for the response lcgal.

No trainers want to chime in here? No other runners have any advice? Do some people just have the body for running while others don't? Is there only so much you can do to avoid shin splints?