Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 11:05
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%
Unhappy Loss of TOM because of exercise....?

I started a very vigorous exercise routine a couple of weeks ago (1 hour on the elliptical bike straight, plus walking at home for 30 minutes and sometimes the stationary bike for 30 mins too). I did it for two weeks straight, six days a week, and I never got sore, nor felt tired.

Then I noticed that TOM was late, so I eased up a bit. For the past month I have been doing the same workout, but only 3 to 4 days a week. And I even ceased to go for daily walks and bike rides. Now I just do the elliptical bike. Still no TOM. I took two pregnancy tests, just to make sure, but it was negative both times.

Can sudden, vigorous exercise cause a whole month loss of TOM? Even after I have eased up for the past three weeks or more, still no TOM, only cramping.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 12:13

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 306/271/145 Female 66 inches
BF:Do I have to?????
Progress: 22%
Default Check with doctor

I would def check with your doctor. I had an issue like that before, no period and slight cramping and negative pregnancy test. To find out I had an
ectopic pregnancy. Not to say that is what you have at all..... Also I was diagnosed with PCOS and that caused my TOM to come and go as it pleased

Also there have been some cases of exercise causing TOM to not come.....

Kimberly
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 12:18

Plan: A lifestyle change
Stats: 270/248/186 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

I would definetely check with my doctor, but yes, over training can cause you to miss your period for awhile. I learned that when I was teaching aerobics there was a period of time where I was teaching two classes a day ( plus my own workout on the elliptical) and it was tooo much for my body and my period disappeared for two months.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 14:24

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha
Can sudden, vigorous exercise cause a whole month loss of TOM? Even after I have eased up for the past three weeks or more, still no TOM, only cramping.

Yes. This is very normal among female athletes.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 14:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/189/150 Female 6'0"
BF:42%/30%/18%
Progress: 70%

I agree with what everyone else is saying- sudden exercise, especially if it is vigoous, can cause a loss of your period for a while. But if it still doesn't come back, you might want to check with your doctor. You might even want to check with him now. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 15:40
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%

Thanks everyone. I think I will make an appointment with the campus health clinic tomorrow and see what they say. Wish me luck.