Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 09:35

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 220/188/170 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default What should I eat with a high carb meal?

I still have one moderate carb meal a week -- I am finishing up my stock of Fiber One Cereal (25g Carb, 14g Fiber). No added sugar, just blueberries and milk. I hate to just throw it out.

Should I avoid high fat when I have this meal? Less fat for the insulin to store away??

Thanks
Glenn in Omaha
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 10:54

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 72%

There is a school of thought for food combining and it is to keep carb and fat seperate. So you would have the cereal with skim *shiver* milk. The Somersize program is one.
If I remember correctly, you then wait 3 hrs until a protein/fat meal.
Hope that helps!

Check out "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis...might change your mind that chucking what's left in that box wouldn't be a "waste".
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 11:56

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

In DANDR Dr Atkins said to always eat fat with any extra carbs to alleviate any possible blood sugar problems.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 12:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
In DANDR Dr Atkins said to always eat fat with any extra carbs to alleviate any possible blood sugar problems.

I haven't read DANDR--how does fat with carbs alleviate blood sugar problems? BTW, I am in good health with no weight/blood sugar problems, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Glenn in Omaha
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 13:16

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

In the CDK program, its about one free day and loads of excercise and weights. On the "free" day, you keep the fat very low and the carbs higher to keep the us from storing away excess fats. Carbs with fats is a bad thing.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 14:15

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreCat50
I haven't read DANDR--how does fat with carbs alleviate blood sugar problems? BTW, I am in good health with no weight/blood sugar problems, if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
Glenn in Omaha

What are you trying to achieve eating low carb? What are trying to achieve by eating one higher carb meal per week?

Insulin doesn't store fat. It converts carbs to fat for storage. More fat in a meal will slow the rise in blood sugar and subsequent insulin response.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 14:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
What are you trying to achieve eating low carb? What are trying to achieve by eating one higher carb meal per week?

Insulin doesn't store fat. It converts carbs to fat for storage. More fat in a meal will slow the rise in blood sugar and subsequent insulin response.

As I said in an earlier post, I am trying to use up the cereal. Not a great reason, I know, but it satisfies my financial qualms! Besides, it's not an inordinate amount of carbs.

As to what I am trying to achieve with eating low carb? Right now, just weight maintenance. I am in my last semester of teaching ( ) before retirement. I always gain weight while teaching from the stress, but not now, thanks to low carb. Once the term is finished I intend to lower my carb intake.

Okay, I'm slow today. How does more fat slow the rise in blood sugar? I thought insulin production ignored fat consumption?

Thanks.
Glenn in Omaha
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 09:55

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

My understanding is that fat slows the rate of digestion, therefore the rise in blood sugar caused by carbs, particularly rapidly digested ones. This rise is sometimes known as a spike. Because the blood sugar does not rise as quickly, less insulin is pumped out over a shorter period of time and there is less chance of reactive hypoglycemia, which can set up a vicious cycle of raging hunger and overeating to compensate.

Slowing the process by combining (a small amount of) carbs with fat may reduce the chance of reactive hypoglycemia (it certainly does for me).

As you suggest, I have read that fat and carbs are the worst combo, but I'm not sure I've read that in any sort of truly scientific context. (Perhaps you can share a study with me?) My feeling on it (based only on personal experience, YMMV) is that it may be true in the long term, but inconsequential for occasional situations. My experience is that keeping carbs consistently low allows one to enter nutritional ketosis, which offers a range of benefits that outweigh the pleasure (?) of occasional carb meals.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 15:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
As I said in an earlier post, I am trying to use up the cereal. Not a great reason, I know, but it satisfies my financial qualms! Besides, it's not an inordinate amount of carbs.

Glenn,

I hate to point this out but....you already bought the cereal...messing up your weight loss by eating it doesn't make your money come back...it's a bad thought process that sabotages us...along with "eat everything on your plate" and "I took it so I'm going to finish it..."

Those weird rules are contributing reason to our weight problems....at least they are to me.

Experience the freedom of wasting $3.00 worth of cereal...trust me...it won't hurt.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 16:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich
Glenn,

I hate to point this out but....you already bought the cereal...messing up your weight loss by eating it doesn't make your money come back...it's a bad thought process that sabotages us...along with "eat everything on your plate" and "I took it so I'm going to finish it..."

Those weird rules are contributing reason to our weight problems....at least they are to me.

Experience the freedom of wasting $3.00 worth of cereal...trust me...it won't hurt.

Thanks for the concern.

I am generally pretty good about maintaining my weight, even with the cereal. My interest is a little more general than this. I expect that I will be facing more carbs than I would like in my holiday travels. I just want to "insulate" myself by having the "right" amount of fat to go with it.

Glenn in Omaha
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 17:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Thanks for the concern.

I am generally pretty good about maintaining my weight, even with the cereal. My interest is a little more general than this. I expect that I will be facing more carbs than I would like in my holiday travels. I just want to "insulate" myself by having the "right" amount of fat to go with it.

Glenn in Omaha

So it's not that you don't want to waste the cereal?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 17:16

BF:

The best you can do about the holdiay season is plan, and stick with your resolve. I've managed through 2 Thanksgiving dinners and kept my carbs low. Got one tomorrow, and I'm prepaired. I take something LC and someone always supplies another protien source, plus veggies. WHo said we have to have a 10 course meal and be rolled away from the table? I did that on LC food the other night

If your planning on eating the carbs at the family functions, well, theres no way with baked goods and most cassaroles/carby sides to keep away from the fat. In that case, eat what you want and worry about it Monday.

I don't wouldn't want to worry about it Monday.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 17:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
My understanding is that fat slows the rate of digestion, therefore the rise in blood sugar caused by carbs, particularly rapidly digested ones. This rise is sometimes known as a spike. Because the blood sugar does not rise as quickly, less insulin is pumped out over a shorter period of time and there is less chance of reactive hypoglycemia, which can set up a vicious cycle of raging hunger and overeating to compensate.

Slowing the process by combining (a small amount of) carbs with fat may reduce the chance of reactive hypoglycemia (it certainly does for me).

As you suggest, I have read that fat and carbs are the worst combo, but I'm not sure I've read that in any sort of truly scientific context. (Perhaps you can share a study with me?) My feeling on it (based only on personal experience, YMMV) is that it may be true in the long term, but inconsequential for occasional situations. My experience is that keeping carbs consistently low allows one to enter nutritional ketosis, which offers a range of benefits that outweigh the pleasure (?) of occasional carb meals.

I do not have any research to cite, just the opposing opinions of Deezil and Ellizelen above.

Glenn in Omaha
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 18:52

Plan: DirtyCarnivore/vlc Atkins
Stats: 181.2/125.0/123 Female 65
BF:34.6%/19.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich
Glenn,

I get it. When you're on a tight budget, throwing away that $3 cereal means you need to spend money on something else to eat. It's not just that the money's not coming back...it's about not spending more on food when you already have some in the house. And if you don't get that, you haven't experienced that kind of financial difficulty.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-12, 19:03

BF:

I get that, but theres more to her question than wasting money. We don't waste food around here, we eat everything thats boughten and if its not eaten for left overs or it goes bad, it goes to the chickens. Nothing is wasted.

It sounded more that she wants to eat carbs over the holidays and wants to know if she should eat fat with the carbs or keep away from them. To help her chances of holding her weight steady. The cereal was an opening for the subject, an example more or less, the way I saw it.